My first motherboard upgrade: Question

Is reformatting usually need when swapping motherboards? I WinXP, I have one
2-yr old parallel ATA hard drive. , (I've heard horror stories about having
to).
--
Grady

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Grady" <unavailable@unavailable.net> wrote in message
> Is reformatting usually need when swapping motherboards? I
> WinXP, I have one 2-yr old parallel ATA hard drive. , (I've
> heard horror stories about having to).
> --
> Grady

You may get away with it by removing all drivers that are linked
to the old motherboard, including the hidden devices, (select view
> hidden devices), do this as the last thing before stripping the
old system. When you've put the new system together perform a
repair installation by booting from the winxp cd.

Then again a new installation would IMHO provide you with a more
stable system and you also have the chance to create a slipstream
cd of SP2 and perform a proper SP2 installation as opposed to a
patched installation of your old version of xp.

Slipstreaming SP2 into your old xp version is completely legal and
is not too difficult to do, see here;
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/12-p1.php
or google for further information.

HTH

--
Ian

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

"Grady" <unavailable@unavailable.net> wrote in message
> Is reformatting usually need when swapping motherboards? I WinXP, I have
> one 2-yr old parallel ATA hard drive. , (I've heard horror stories about
> having to).
> --
> Grady

A newbie like me would be better off getting a new hard drive to boot from
maybe. I'll just use the old equipment to build a system for my kids.
Thanks,
Grady