Prints scratch off easily

I am now the owner of a great Canon i960/965 inkjet. Fantastic
printer - what a joy to use after the pathetic epson. The pictures
are great, but I'm having trouble with "setting" the ink.

I tried some old generic glossy paper I had around, and the photos
peeled off like when kids cover their hands in glue, just so they can
peel it off again. After a few days, I noticed that print was a lot
less tacky, so I tried to scratch/peel again. It was a lot better,
but still not wonderful - so I bought some kodak glossy to try. The
kodak paper prints don't peel off like plastic, but they are very
easily scratched. (I scratched them by just adjusting position on my
new guillotine to trim the white edges off.)

Anyone else had these kinds of problems? Is it the paper, or the
Canon inks? For some reason, I can't find anyone nearby selling Canon
paper or I'd try that. What about changing from genuine Canon inks to
these pigmented inks? Anyone??

Allan.

~

> Anyone else had these kinds of problems? Is it the paper, or the
> Canon inks? For some reason, I can't find anyone nearby selling Canon
> paper or I'd try that.

It's kinda mostly the paper in terms of what you can easily change.

You might try some canon paper (and use canon inks) to at least
establish a baseline for your later experiments. One place to get
canon papers (and inks) at good prices is www.canogacamera.com
where I ordered my last (and first) batch of Canon supplies.

Mike

On 30 Jul 2004 16:58:40 -0700, gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:

>Just Allan <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2csjg0d94msnn5cpijtup9ikv540gnafpd@4ax.com>...
>> I am now the owner of a great Canon i960/965 inkjet. Fantastic
>> printer - what a joy to use after the pathetic epson. The pictures
>> are great, but I'm having trouble with "setting" the ink.
>~
>>
>> Anyone else had these kinds of problems? Is it the paper, or the
>> Canon inks? For some reason, I can't find anyone nearby selling Canon
>> paper or I'd try that.
>
>It's kinda mostly the paper in terms of what you can easily change.
>
>You might try some canon paper (and use canon inks) to at least
>establish a baseline for your later experiments. One place to get
>canon papers (and inks) at good prices is www.canogacamera.com
>where I ordered my last (and first) batch of Canon supplies.
>
>Mike

Thanks for the great link. The shipping seems to remain the same for
multiple packs of paper as well. Its nice to see a distributor
carrying all the popular papers in one spot without gouging the
shipping cost.

Definately one to bookmark..

On 30 Jul 2004 16:58:40 -0700, gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:

>Just Allan <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2csjg0d94msnn5cpijtup9ikv540gnafpd@4ax.com>...
>> I am now the owner of a great Canon i960/965 inkjet. Fantastic
>> printer - what a joy to use after the pathetic epson. The pictures
>> are great, but I'm having trouble with "setting" the ink.
>~
>>
>> Anyone else had these kinds of problems? Is it the paper, or the
>> Canon inks? For some reason, I can't find anyone nearby selling Canon
>> paper or I'd try that.
>
>It's kinda mostly the paper in terms of what you can easily change.
>
>You might try some canon paper (and use canon inks) to at least
>establish a baseline for your later experiments. One place to get
>canon papers (and inks) at good prices is www.canogacamera.com
>where I ordered my last (and first) batch of Canon supplies.
>
>Mike

So it sounds like you're using Canon inks (like me) and Canon paper -
do your (photo) prints scratch off easily?

Allan.

Just Allan <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<rm5ng0tp3js1p0ah3pjk1atpgrc7h95b7q@4ax.com>...
> On 30 Jul 2004 16:58:40 -0700, gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:
>
> >Just Allan <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2csjg0d94msnn5cpijtup9ikv540gnafpd@4ax.com>...
> >> I am now the owner of a great Canon i960/965 inkjet. Fantastic
> >> printer - what a joy to use after the pathetic epson. The pictures
> >> are great, but I'm having trouble with "setting" the ink.
> ~
> >>
> >> Anyone else had these kinds of problems? Is it the paper, or the
> >> Canon inks? For some reason, I can't find anyone nearby selling Canon
> >> paper or I'd try that.
> >
> >It's kinda mostly the paper in terms of what you can easily change.
> >
> >You might try some canon paper (and use canon inks) to at least
> >establish a baseline for your later experiments. One place to get
> >canon papers (and inks) at good prices is www.canogacamera.com
> >where I ordered my last (and first) batch of Canon supplies.
> >
> >Mike
>
> So it sounds like you're using Canon inks (like me) and Canon paper -
> do your (photo) prints scratch off easily?

No, I haven't had a problem with scratches, however I'll say that I
try to handle it "lightly" for at least a day. Canon says that if
one is going to put a print into an album (with presumably clear plastic
pushed down in contact with the image) that it should be left to dry
for overnight or for a day. So I assume it takes that long for it to
"dry hard" given their inks and the way their paper works.

Mike

On 4 Aug 2004 11:07:09 -0700, gewgle@yahoo.com (Anoni Moose) wrote:

>> >It's kinda mostly the paper in terms of what you can easily change.
>> >
>> >You might try some canon paper (and use canon inks) to at least
>> >establish a baseline for your later experiments. One place to get
>> >canon papers (and inks) at good prices is www.canogacamera.com
>> >where I ordered my last (and first) batch of Canon supplies.
>>
>> So it sounds like you're using Canon inks (like me) and Canon paper -
>> do your (photo) prints scratch off easily?
>
>No, I haven't had a problem with scratches, however I'll say that I
>try to handle it "lightly" for at least a day. Canon says that if
>one is going to put a print into an album (with presumably clear plastic
>pushed down in contact with the image) that it should be left to dry
>for overnight or for a day. So I assume it takes that long for it to
>"dry hard" given their inks and the way their paper works.

Yep, thanks. Funny thing happened yesterday - it's been DAYS since I
printed the very first one that peeled off. It's still sitting on my
desk. Yesterday I tried to scratch it again with my fingernail - and
it won't scratch!? Wow - that took a long time to "dry". Heh. : )

So after spending a small fortune on two different brands of new
paper, all I had to do was wait a week for it to dry out! (It's
really cold here atm, so maybe that has something to do with it.) The
other thing I noticed was, the longer I left it, the less tacky it
became. It's not sticky at all now.

Allan.