USB Mass Storage Device

Should this be disabled in Win Xp Home under device manager. If I enable it I
get the Safe to remove Hardware icon in the system tray??? Lower rt corner of
screen. Another thing, if I enable the device, I get 4 generic disks listed
under "Disk Drive" in device manager. Help
9 answers Last reply
More about mass storage device

    It's likely your memory card driver (and it most likely accomodates 4
    different card formats if not more).

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "avispon" <avispon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Should this be disabled in Win Xp Home under device manager. If I enable
    > it I
    > get the Safe to remove Hardware icon in the system tray??? Lower rt corner
    > of
    > screen. Another thing, if I enable the device, I get 4 generic disks
    > listed
    > under "Disk Drive" in device manager. Help

    That does not really tell me much, can you explain it better.

    avispon wrote:

    > That does not really tell me much, can you explain it better.

    Take a look at the earlier posts that you have written and to
    which others have answered. Unless there is more information,
    the best guess is that a 4-in-1 USB card reader is connected
    to the computer, either built into the computer itself or, as
    someone suggested, in a USB printer that is connected to the
    printer. Yes, it can be disabled...but why?

    I have no idea what you mean "USB printer connected to a printer" I have
    nothing like that. I have only an HP printer connected via USP . This is
    basically a stock Gateway PC................have had 1 yr, Service Pack 1
    etc. Hight Speed Cable etc. No other bells or whistles............
    "GHalleck" wrote:

    > avispon wrote:
    >
    > > That does not really tell me much, can you explain it better.
    >
    > Take a look at the earlier posts that you have written and to
    > which others have answered. Unless there is more information,
    > the best guess is that a 4-in-1 USB card reader is connected
    > to the computer, either built into the computer itself or, as
    > someone suggested, in a USB printer that is connected to the
    > printer. Yes, it can be disabled...but why?

    Another thing....when USB Mass sorage device is enabled in Device manager, I
    keep getting this anoying icon "Safe to Remove Hardware" in the lower rt
    corner of the screen......................never had this before

    avispon wrote:
    > I have no idea what you mean "USB printer connected to a printer" I have
    > nothing like that. I have only an HP printer connected via USP . This is
    > basically a stock Gateway PC................have had 1 yr, Service Pack 1
    > etc. Hight Speed Cable etc. No other bells or whistles............

    There is no such thing as a USP printer; that is an USB
    printer and this particular printer just might have a
    memory card reader that is built into it. What is the
    model number of the HP printer? And since we seem to be
    unable to answer your question or help you, suggest that
    you have a long chat with Gateway.

    avispon wrote:

    > I meant a USB. It is a hp deskjet 940c

    Anyway, Gateway computers are currently sold with a 8-in-1 media
    card reader. Media card readers are USB devices. Typically, an
    8-in-1 card reader will show the equivalent of 4 disk partitions,
    in your case Drives F,G,H and I, for each of the 4 different slots
    for the memory cards. If you do not know where this card reader is
    placed in your computer, read the manual or call Gateway.

    "avispon" wrote:

    > Another thing....when USB Mass sorage device is enabled in Device manager, I
    > keep getting this anoying icon "Safe to Remove Hardware" in the lower rt
    > corner of the screen......................never had this before

    Because XP can wait a while to write to disk there is a possible problem
    with removable disks. You could easily remove it before the os has written
    something to the disk. The 'annoying' icon that tells you it is safe to
    remove the device only does so after all file writes have been completed.
    Without it you could lose data forever permanently.

    Not sure how annoying it is though. I thought you had to at least hover
    over it with the mouse before it displayed the "Safe to Remove Hardware"
    message.

Hardware Device Manager Devices Windows XP