email via wifi?

July 28, 2004 1:36:41 AM

Using an Ipaq 4150, with 802.11b, I can access the internet using pocket
internet explorer via my home network, but the email program refuses to
connect. My laptop connects to my wireless network and gets email, with what
seem to be identical settings.

Any idea what I have not set up correctly?

Also, is it possible to browse directories on a network (workgroup) from the
pocket pc? There seems nowhere to set up a workgroup name.

Thanks

Andrew Armstrong

More about : email wifi

July 28, 2004 3:21:30 AM

yes,
you have to add the service, and then configure email properties

re: drive mappings and netshares, you can use terminal services and login to
a win2k/win2003 server.
only problem is the the screen is 3"x4" or whatever your pda screen dims
are.

but it's great for streaming video, or music.

mike

"Andrew Armstrong" <asa@aaelectron.co.uk> wrote in message
> Using an Ipaq 4150, with 802.11b, I can access the internet using pocket
> internet explorer via my home network, but the email program refuses to
> connect. My laptop connects to my wireless network and gets email, with
what
> seem to be identical settings.
>
> Any idea what I have not set up correctly?
>
> Also, is it possible to browse directories on a network (workgroup) from
the
> pocket pc? There seems nowhere to set up a workgroup name.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew Armstrong

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:35:02 PM

regarding the email problem, it sounds like the connection type ('internet'
or 'work') is incorrect in the email account setup. In the inbox app, goto
Accounts menu and select Accounts..., then tap on the email account and
click Next until you see an Options button. Click the options button and
check the connection name.

To browse remote directories, use Resco explorer, which comes with the
4150 - it invcludes networking functions.

Hope that helps!

Using an Ipaq 4150, with 802.11b, I can access the internet using pocket
internet explorer via my home network, but the email program refuses to
connect. My laptop connects to my wireless network and gets email, with
what seem to be identical settings.

Any idea what I have not set up correctly?

Also, is it possible to browse directories on a network (workgroup) from
the pocket pc? There seems nowhere to set up a workgroup name.

Thanks

Andrew Armstrong
July 28, 2004 2:49:08 PM

The snag is I don't have a server, just three computers networked together
in a workgroup, with a wireless access point. Is it possible to make the
Ipaq join a workgroup?

Does that also mean I can't make the email work? I have set it up with the
correct pop and smtp servers that work on the laptop, with the same user
name and password, and it never manages to connect.

Sometimes it tells me I need a VPN connection - which it does not seem to
require for Internet Explorer.

The documentation with the Ipaq was sparse, and there seemsm to be a lot
that one is expected to instinctively know. Do you know of any better
documentation online anywhere? For example, some of the menus suggest that
it can synchronise over the wireless, but actually it has to be plucced in
to the usb port to do that. The pdf manual; does not cover that point.

Andrew

"mike" <batuckan1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> yes,
> you have to add the service, and then configure email properties
>
> re: drive mappings and netshares, you can use terminal services and login
> a win2k/win2003 server.
> only problem is the the screen is 3"x4" or whatever your pda screen dims
> are.
>
> but it's great for streaming video, or music.
>
> mike
>
> "Andrew Armstrong" <asa@aaelectron.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Using an Ipaq 4150, with 802.11b, I can access the internet using pocket
> > internet explorer via my home network, but the email program refuses to
> > connect. My laptop connects to my wireless network and gets email, with
> what
> > seem to be identical settings.
> >
> > Any idea what I have not set up correctly?
> >
> > Also, is it possible to browse directories on a network (workgroup) from
> the
> > pocket pc? There seems nowhere to set up a workgroup name.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Andrew Armstrong

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:01:00 PM

Reply to message from "Andrew Armstrong" <asa@aaelectron.co.uk> (Tue, 27
Jul 2004 18:36:41) about "email via wifi?":

AA> Using an Ipaq 4150, with 802.11b, I can access the internet using
AA> pocket internet explorer via my home network, but the email program
AA> refuses to connect. My laptop connects to my wireless network and gets
AA> email, with what seem to be identical settings.

AA> Any idea what I have not set up correctly?

The WiFi card should be set to internet.

AA> Also, is it possible to browse directories on a network (workgroup)
AA> from the pocket pc? There seems nowhere to set up a workgroup name.

No. Set the card *back* to WORK and enter \\machine\share in File Explorer.

--
"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.
spambegone.com> Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:06:31 -0200

July 29, 2004 7:35:25 PM

Thank you to both who replied. The email now works, after I changed the
setting in the email account to "internet" instead of "work". The card was
already set to "Internet". After that it logged on successfully and
collected my spam.

However, I still haven't had any sucess with browsing network directories. I
have searched the cd that came with the device, but can't find Reso
explorer.

When I try to access a network share on file explorer, with the network card
set to "work" the first error message is "The network path was not found"
and the second is "Network Resource cannot be found or you do not have
permission to access the network", which is much like the message I get if I
spell the name of the workgroup wrongly setting up a normal PC network.

Then I downloaded a trial copy of "Pocket LAN", and that allows me to access
two of the three machines - the Win98 V1 machine and the Win 98V2 laptop,
but not the Win XP laptop.

File explorer apparently can't open the network without the assistance of
the Poclet LAN program, which seems primarly to be there to add extra
functions such as ping that are lacking from Pocket PC

Any further ideas to try?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Andrew

The network card was already set to "internet". It s
"James R. Trosky" <jamestrosky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> regarding the email problem, it sounds like the connection type
('internet'
> or 'work') is incorrect in the email account setup. In the inbox app, goto
> Accounts menu and select Accounts..., then tap on the email account and
> click Next until you see an Options button. Click the options button and
> check the connection name.
>
> To browse remote directories, use Resco explorer, which comes with the
> 4150 - it invcludes networking functions.
>
> Hope that helps!
>

> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:35:26 PM

what's strange is that Resco explorer came pre-installed on my 4150 (as
well as on the CD)! Anyway, I only have experience with netwoking using
resco explorer, so I can't help much with the other products... Sorry!

Thank you to both who replied. The email now works, after I changed the
setting in the email account to "internet" instead of "work". The card was
already set to "Internet". After that it logged on successfully and
collected my spam.

However, I still haven't had any sucess with browsing network directories.
I have searched the cd that came with the device, but can't find Reso
explorer.

When I try to access a network share on file explorer, with the network
card set to "work" the first error message is "The network path was not
found" and the second is "Network Resource cannot be found or you do not
have permission to access the network", which is much like the message I
get if I spell the name of the workgroup wrongly setting up a normal PC
network.

Then I downloaded a trial copy of "Pocket LAN", and that allows me to
access two of the three machines - the Win98 V1 machine and the Win 98V2
laptop, but not the Win XP laptop.

File explorer apparently can't open the network without the assistance of
the Poclet LAN program, which seems primarly to be there to add extra
functions such as ping that are lacking from Pocket PC

Any further ideas to try?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Andrew

The network card was already set to "internet". It s "James R. Trosky"
<jamestrosky@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1091036102@jamestrosky.
hotmail.com...
> regarding the email problem, it sounds like the connection type
('internet'
> or 'work') is incorrect in the email account setup. In the inbox app,
> goto Accounts menu and select Accounts..., then tap on the email account
> and click Next until you see an Options button. Click the options button
> and check the connection name.

> To browse remote directories, use Resco explorer, which comes with the
> 4150 - it invcludes networking functions.

> Hope that helps!

> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:35:27 PM

Resco explorer ignores the "internet" and "work" profiles but the built in
file explorer along with windows media player,pocket ie and outlook use it.
The easiet thing to do is to get resco explorer or some freeware network
explorer or you'll drive youself nuts with the internet/work thing.

rights...

> what's strange is that Resco explorer came pre-installed on my 4150 (as
> well as on the CD)! Anyway, I only have experience with netwoking using
> resco explorer, so I can't help much with the other products... Sorry!
>

> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 7:04:25 PM

Resco works , but still can't talk to the XP computer and one Win 98 V2 one
(even though it has an account with no password). I will have to purchase it
when the trial period runs out, unless anyone knows of a better one that
costs less, but the price is not absurdly high, and it does work well.

It seems as if the problem is with the computers it won't talk to -
networking those two was difficult, and I had to install netbeui on the XP
one just so it could talk to that one Win 98 machine. It could ping, but not
map network drives (except when I forced it to work in one direction by
using LMHOSTS)

So, the remaining problem I have is a network one that I tried to find out
how to solve a couple of years agao, but at the time everything anyone
suggested failed to work.

Unless you just happen to have seen this networking snag before, I don't
suppose this is the right forum to ask further.

Thanks

Andrew

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:o vGRh0YdEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...