Safe O/C speed for sempron2800+ ??

I just FINALLY upgraded my CPU from an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ to an AMD
Sempron 2800+ and was wondering about overclocking it to 3000+ spec.
It's running at 2g right now but what would my overclocking max be
before I run the risk of burning the chip up? My CMOS setting is at
166mhz which is up from the XP being at 133. Having never overclocked
anything before I thought I'd ask here where the "knowers" are. Thanks
for any help given.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:34:33 -0500, V "fnugen" wrote:

> I just FINALLY upgraded my CPU from an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ to an AMD
> Sempron 2800+ and was wondering about overclocking it to 3000+ spec.
> It's running at 2g right now but what would my overclocking max be
> before I run the risk of burning the chip up? My CMOS setting is at
> 166mhz which is up from the XP being at 133. Having never overclocked
> anything before I thought I'd ask here where the "knowers" are. Thanks
> for any help given.

Hmmm... If you had a Tbred B core 1700+, it would clock just as high as
your new Sempron 2800+. FWIW, the Sempron is not a new core. just a
new name. Care to guess which one it uses.:)
See Sempron in link below.

As for overclcoking, it has a multiplier of 12, so set the FSB to 200 fro
2400MHz. Make sure you have a decent cooler and you'll probably nee to
raise vcore. That's the basics. But how successful you are will depend on
your ram, MB model, and what you know about how it all works together.

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:34:33 -0500, V "fnugen" wrote:
>

>>I just FINALLY upgraded my CPU from an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ to an AMD
>>Sempron 2800+ and was wondering about overclocking it to 3000+ spec.
>>It's running at 2g right now but what would my overclocking max be
>>before I run the risk of burning the chip up? My CMOS setting is at
>>166mhz which is up from the XP being at 133. Having never overclocked
>>anything before I thought I'd ask here where the "knowers" are. Thanks
>>for any help given.
>>

> Hmmm... If you had a Tbred B core 1700+, it would clock just as high as
> your new Sempron 2800+. FWIW, the Sempron is not a new core. just a
> new name. Care to guess which one it uses.:)
> See Sempron in link below.
>
> As for overclcoking, it has a multiplier of 12, so set the FSB to 200 fro
> 2400MHz. Make sure you have a decent cooler and you'll probably nee to
> raise vcore. That's the basics. But how successful you are will depend on
> your ram, MB model, and what you know about how it all works together.

My board is an MSI KT4AV and the ram is one PC2700 512 DDR and one
PC3200 512 DDR (not my choice they got mixed). The chip has got to be
around 4 yrs old now. No idea how to get nor read the code off the chip.
Hope this new info helps out.