jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

A machine running XP SP2 on a WD 2000 SATA hard drive will not boot into XP.
It goes past the flash screen but then hangs with an all black screen and a
mouse pointer. The mouse pointer moves, but that's all that happens.
Similar results are achieved in either safe mode or safe mode with command
prompt.

The machine is under warranty. The owner has taken it back to the shop, but
been told it was a "software fault". I haven't heard that one for a long
time - not since Windows 95 first came out. Anyway I have been asked to fix
it.

My usual strategy is the use the XP install disks to repair broken systems,
but the SATA drive is invisible to the XP setup utility. To make the job
more fun I have not been given the SATA dive installation disk. And the
idiot manufacturers (some Australian backyard outfit) omitted to install a
floppy drive. Why do people do that? They cost a few dollars, and they are
useful.

How should I start on this problem?

"" wrote:
> A machine running XP SP2 on a WD 2000 SATA hard drive will not
> boot into XP.
> It goes past the flash screen but then hangs with an all black
> screen and a
> mouse pointer. The mouse pointer moves, but that's all that
> happens.
> Similar results are achieved in either safe mode or safe mode
> with command
> prompt.
>
> The machine is under warranty. The owner has taken it back to
> the shop, but
> been told it was a "software fault". I haven't heard that one
> for a long
> time - not since Windows 95 first came out. Anyway I have
> been asked to fix
> it.
>
> My usual strategy is the use the XP install disks to repair
> broken systems,
> but the SATA drive is invisible to the XP setup utility. To
> make the job
> more fun I have not been given the SATA dive installation
> disk. And the
> idiot manufacturers (some Australian backyard outfit) omitted
> to install a
> floppy drive. Why do people do that? They cost a few
> dollars, and they are
> useful.
>
> How should I start on this problem?

have you tried booting in safe mode? or selecting last known
configuration that worked? Hit F8 when the computer is about to try
and load windows. Other than that if you need to do a windows repair
you are gonna need a floppy drive and a F6 disk for the SATA drivers.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-XP-SATA-hangs-boot-ftopict422954.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1415344