2500+ barton on Abit KV7 VIA KT600

Hi everyone!

Im new in overclocking, so i dont know much of it.
How to overclock with this configuration?
Is it possible to overclock with VIA KT600 (i can see that everyone have
nForce chipset)

Thanx

-----------------
ABIT KV-7 VIA KT 600
AMD Barton 2500+
cooler : Spire Microflow 2
2 X 256 DDR 400 MHZ

"Schumm33" <schumm33@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> Im new in overclocking, so i dont know much of it.
> How to overclock with this configuration?
> Is it possible to overclock with VIA KT600 (i can see that everyone have
> nForce chipset)
>
> Thanx
>
> -----------------
> ABIT KV-7 VIA KT 600
> AMD Barton 2500+
> cooler : Spire Microflow 2
> 2 X 256 DDR 400 MHZ

One reason most use the NVidia NForce 2 chipset when overclocking Bartons is
the AGP/PCI lock which allows you to increase the FSB without overclocking
the AGP/PCI. Google research indicates the KT600 lacks this feature. The
KT600 appears to support PCI - FSB speed ratios of up to 1/6, so you
*should* be able to run your FSB at 200 without overclocking your AGP/PCI.
However, the enduring appeal of the Barton 2500+ (and, I'll assume that you
have one of the later one's that is multiplier locked) has been its ability
to run at 11(multiplier) x 200 (FSB) vs. the stock 11 x 166. This gives you
a 3200+ rating for the price of a 2500+. I have two such PC's (with NForce 2
chipsets) and both have run at 11 x 200 reliably since day one.
Considerations: quality PC3200 memory, increased heat. You may have to
increase voltage to both your CPU and your memory to achieve stability. I
have no idea what a Spire Microflow 2 is, but if you run as a 3200+, your
HSF should be rated to handle a 3200+.
Caveat: Everything above about the KT600 is based on what I read. I don't
own a KT600 system. Hopefully some KT600 owners will chime in.

"Schumm33" <schumm33@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone!
>
> Im new in overclocking, so i dont know much of it.
> How to overclock with this configuration?
> Is it possible to overclock with VIA KT600 (i can see that everyone have
> nForce chipset)
>
> Thanx
>
> -----------------
> ABIT KV-7 VIA KT 600
> AMD Barton 2500+
> cooler : Spire Microflow 2
> 2 X 256 DDR 400 MHZ

I have a KT600 board

to be precise MSI KT6V (used to own a abit nf7, but it went pop im stupid)

anyway i can overclock my barton 2600+ fine, it does have a locked
multiplier of 11.5 so i just notched up the FSB

i am no overclocking expert but i managed to get the FSB to 200 no problem

but I didnt wanna be too cocky i nocked it down to 185x11.5 which gives me
about 2.1 Ghz (2800+)

as appose to the 166x11.5 which is 1.9 ghz, i am using a cooler master
vortex dream 7 cooler and it seems fine, (idle at about 43-45 load at about
47-50, thats in Celseus

my advice would be to get into the BIOS and slowly notch up the FSB on the
processor Frquency Volatage settings, leave the vcore at 1.650, slowlt notch
it up, try 175MHz, leave the multiplier as auto set because if its a later
model it will be locked, you can try the multiplier though try he FSB at 133
Mhz and then the Multiplier at 14, if it boots ok and your speed is normal
1.8 ghz (ish) then your ok to go with a multiplier OC

i would try 14x166 which will be a decent overclock (3200+) thats if you can
change multiplier, you may need to notch up vcore a bit too with this, would
try 1.750

keep an eye on the CPU temp too

if your multiplier is locked like i said try 175Mhz FSB and an auto
multiplier, keep going up and up until you cant boot, when it fails to boot
set CMOS jumpers to reset, leave it for a while come back change CMOS
jumpers back around and then boot up into BIOS, set the last known settings
the CPU booted from and your away.

there is a memory factor i believe too, if you have ddr333 you should be ok
notching the FSB up as far as 200 (i was) if you have ddr266 i wouldnt try
anything over 150MHz for cation firstly, try by al means, if your multiplier
is unlocked and you have ddr266 memory you would be better off leaving the
FSB or setting it to 133 and changing the multiplier and notching up vcore
slightly.

good luck.

the KT600 can overclock... I seem to be doing ok on it, was a bit
aprehensive at first as i am also a newbie ish OC'er, but now i am
confortable at 2800+ (2.1ghz) with an AMD 2600+ (1.9ghz) which isnt as far
as it would go but i didnt wanna try and push it too far (to 200) because i
only have 333 pc2700 memory.

anyhow gd luck again

chris