CD-RW & DVD-RW NOT SEEN BY WINDOWS XP

I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows did
not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a letter
to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
show up in device manager.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected, the
links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am all
out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
THANKS.!!!!

Ryan

Did you check the jumpers and made sure they were properly set up? Master,
slave, etc.???

"FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" <FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER
END!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows
>did
> not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a
> letter
> to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
> show up in device manager.
>
> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
> triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
> well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected,
> the
> links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am
> all
> out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
> THANKS.!!!!

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

is the ide port disabled in bios?

"Ryan" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you check the jumpers and made sure they were properly set up? Master,
> slave, etc.???
>
> "FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" <FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER
> END!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows
>>did
>> not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a
>> letter
>> to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does
>> not
>> show up in device manager.
>>
>> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
>> triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
>> well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected,
>> the
>> links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am
>> all
>> out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
>> THANKS.!!!!

I have been having this same problem. I formatted my whole pc and reinstalled
windows, but after SP2 was installed, my CDRW and DVD drives were no longer
recognised in My Computer.
Now i cant install any drivers for the rest of the pc, as theyre all on cds,
untill i get this problem fixed.
I tired disabling and reinabling the drives in device manager but that didnt
help.
The only thing i can think of now is to uninstall the drives, but If i
uninstal the drives, how do i reinstal them?

Disconnect the "slave" configured unit temporary and see if the "master"
unit shows up. If it shows up, then install all the other drivers and
before your reconnect the "slave" unit, install the motherboard chipset
drivers.

"TamMoose" <TamMoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been having this same problem. I formatted my whole pc and
>reinstalled
> windows, but after SP2 was installed, my CDRW and DVD drives were no
> longer
> recognised in My Computer.
> Now i cant install any drivers for the rest of the pc, as theyre all on
> cds,
> untill i get this problem fixed.
> I tired disabling and reinabling the drives in device manager but that
> didnt
> help.
> The only thing i can think of now is to uninstall the drives, but If i
> uninstal the drives, how do i reinstal them?

Are the drives showing up in the bios? On the secondary IDE channel? Jumpers
set to master and slave or computer select for HD's, CD and DVD devices? In
the bios are both devices set to auto detect? Also, in the bios select PNP OS
or try letting the bios configure settings by not selecting PNP OS, if
available.. Replace the data cable and use a new one..
j;-)

"FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" wrote:

> I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows did
> not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a letter
> to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
> show up in device manager.
>
> DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
> triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
> well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected, the
> links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am all
> out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
> THANKS.!!!!

i did make sure that the jumpers were set, and still nothing showed up. it
still did not see it in my computer or in device manager.

it did have an error in the event viewer, and all it said was cd-rom error
device 0. that's it. is there anything else that i can do to resolve this? i
feel like the next thing that i have to do is to get another computer!!!

"Ryan" wrote:

> Did you check the jumpers and made sure they were properly set up? Master,
> slave, etc.???
>
> "FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" <FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER
> END!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows
> >did
> > not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a
> > letter
> > to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
> > show up in device manager.
> >
> > DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
> > triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
> > well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected,
> > the
> > links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am
> > all
> > out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
> > THANKS.!!!!

i am unable to get to the bios screen, it doesn't recognize the commands that
i give it. it doesn't even recognize regedt32!!!! i know, that is issues, but
it should still see the cd-rom & the dvd-rom..........

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Are the drives showing up in the bios? On the secondary IDE channel? Jumpers
> set to master and slave or computer select for HD's, CD and DVD devices? In
> the bios are both devices set to auto detect? Also, in the bios select PNP OS
> or try letting the bios configure settings by not selecting PNP OS, if
> available.. Replace the data cable and use a new one..
> j;-)
>
> "FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" wrote:
>
> > I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows did
> > not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a letter
> > to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
> > show up in device manager.
> >
> > DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
> > triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
> > well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected, the
> > links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am all
> > out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
> > THANKS.!!!!

It would sure help if you would elaborate a little more on the commands that
you are trying to use to get into the BIOS...Try starting the computer from a
cold boot and at the first image screen hit the F1 key or DEL key or ctrl F1
to enter the bios, you have to be quick and might have to tap the key
continuously at first. You may see a message to press a key to enter startup
and it may vary depending on your systems OEM..Ok, you can boot into windows
is that right? You are not seeing the CD or DVD icons in my computer, right?

Ok, try this, download cdgone.zip and backup your registry to be safe (read
the readme file) and merge the cdgone.reg (right click, merge) file to the
registry and reboot the computer. This should clear up the problem, though
you will also have to reinstall any third party cd/dvd related burning apps
etc.. if they are required or needed, it's your choice..
http://aumha.net/downloads/cdgone.zip
Read up here..
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php
j;-j

"FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" wrote:

> i am unable to get to the bios screen, it doesn't recognize the commands that
> i give it. it doesn't even recognize regedt32!!!! i know, that is issues, but
> it should still see the cd-rom & the dvd-rom..........
>
> "Jaymon" wrote:
>
> > Are the drives showing up in the bios? On the secondary IDE channel? Jumpers
> > set to master and slave or computer select for HD's, CD and DVD devices? In
> > the bios are both devices set to auto detect? Also, in the bios select PNP OS
> > or try letting the bios configure settings by not selecting PNP OS, if
> > available.. Replace the data cable and use a new one..
> > j;-)
> >
> > "FRUSTRATED TO THE BITTER END!!!" wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed a brand new cd-rw & dvd-rw into my computer. and windows did
> > > not see that there was new hardware installed, and it did not assign a letter
> > > to the drive, in fact it does not show up in my computer. It also does not
> > > show up in device manager.
> > >
> > > DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM HERE!!!!! I have
> > > triple checked the cables connecting them to the motherboard, and all is
> > > well, there are definately connected. the power cable is also connected, the
> > > links on the front of them blink when i restarted the computer, and I am all
> > > out of ideas on what the problem could be........any help is appreciated.
> > > THANKS.!!!!

i have tried to use F1, and nothing happened. I also tried to use Ctrl + Del
and nothing happened, it just kept loading windows. but i will try to use the
cdgone.zip thankyou, i will let you know Fri how it turned out.