Low clock speed

Can Somebody tell me why Athlon 64 3400+ is only getting a clock speed of
798mhz? And what do I need to overclock and check temps? Thanks.

"Jeff MacDonald" <jeff.macdonald@pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Can Somebody tell me why Athlon 64 3400+ is only getting a clock speed of
> 798mhz? And what do I need to overclock and check temps? Thanks.

As no details were provided, I'll guess that something is set incorrectly in
your BIOS (check CPU frequency/multiplier settings), or that you have a
motherboard that supports Cool 'n' Quiet, and that it's active,
automatically reducing CPU speed when there's no workload.

What is the FSB set to?Should be 200.

YanquiDawg wrote:
> What is the FSB set to?Should be 200.
>

>>Can Somebody tell me why Athlon 64 3400+ is only getting a clock speed of
>>798mhz? And what do I need to overclock and check temps? Thanks.

i guess its just a mathematical problem that he doesnt get exactly 800?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Knuelle" <gibt@doch.net> wrote in message
> YanquiDawg wrote:
>> What is the FSB set to?Should be 200.
>>

>>>Can Somebody tell me why Athlon 64 3400+ is only getting a clock speed of
>>>798mhz? And what do I need to overclock and check temps? Thanks.
>>>

> i guess its just a mathematical problem that he doesnt get exactly 800?

No, it just means his clock generator is not at the exact frequency and is
nothing to worry about. There is usually some variation, however slight.

Dave

Dave wrote:
> Knuelle wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the FSB set to?Should be 200.
>
>> i guess its just a mathematical problem that he doesnt get exactly
>> 800?
>
> No, it just means his clock generator is not at the exact frequency
> and is nothing to worry about. There is usually some variation,
> however slight.

It should be mentioned that "clock generator" in this context is a bit
ambiguous. You have the base clock that is multiplied for the FSB clock (for
example 1MHz), and then you also have the ~1.180 MHz realtime clock. Both
sources will have drift and inherent inaccuracy, and since the method used
is effectively "how many cycles per RTC event", you're effectively measuring
the frequency ratio of the two sources (by dividing out the CPU multiplier).
There's also the ACPI timer (~3.6MHz?) which is another independent source
that is sometimes used. In addition to this you have crystals on the video
card (your 85Hz may not be 85Hz :) ), your LAN card (which are usually the
most accurate source in a computer, especially on the gbps cards), and sound
card. All running nicely out of sync, which makes measuring the TRUE
frequency of the CPU to more than a couple significant figures quite a
challenge.

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open