CAT 5e Crossover cable question

Is the CAT 5e Crossover cable the correct one to use to network an additional computer (connect physically) to the primary computer sitting next to it? Both computers have Ethernet connections. Sorry to be so dense, but I get a bit lost when reading the cable descriptions on the package and don't want to open it if I've brought home the wrong cable. The end plugs are RJ45 male/male.

I want to use the second computer for dedicated video work and don't want it to always be connected to the network and internet. I just need to connect occasionally to update XP and program files, then disconnect it from the network. Will this cable work for my intended purpose?

As always, thank you for your advice and suggestions.

--

~Mary
mleek at arkwest dot com

    Cross-over cables are used to connect ONE PC directly to another PC, without
    using a hub/switch/router. You should consider getting a broadband router
    and two standard CAT 5e cable (straight through).

    "Mary Fowler Leek" <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Yves,

    Thank you. I do have a broadband router so will return this cable for the straight through cable(s), as you suggest. Do I understand you correctly, that I will need two of them?

    Mary

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:%23hDY2ITvFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    : Cross-over cables are used to connect ONE PC directly to another PC, without
    : using a hub/switch/router. You should consider getting a broadband router
    : and two standard CAT 5e cable (straight through).
    :
    :
[...]
    : --
    :
    :
    : ~Mary
    : mleek at arkwest dot com
    : mmleek at hotmail dot com

    Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote:
    > Is the CAT 5e Crossover
    cable the correct one to use to network an additional computer (connect
    physically) to the primary computer sitting next to it? Both computers
    have Ethernet connections. Sorry to be so dense, but I get a bit lost when
    reading the cable descriptions on the package and don't want to open it if
    I've brought home the wrong cable. The end plugs are RJ45 male/male.

    Yes, a crossover cable is required to DIRECTLY connect 2 PC's ethernet
    cards without using a router/hub/switch. It is an acceptable way to make
    a quick and dirty connection, tho you will need to manually configure each
    machine's network settings (ip, dns, etc).

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message news:11itnff8hi0vucc@corp.supernews.com...
    : Mary Fowler Leek <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote:
    : > Is the CAT 5e Crossover
    : cable the correct one to use to network an additional computer (connect
    : physically) to the primary computer sitting next to it? Both computers
    : have Ethernet connections. Sorry to be so dense, but I get a bit lost when
    : reading the cable descriptions on the package and don't want to open it if
    : I've brought home the wrong cable. The end plugs are RJ45 male/male.
    :
    : Yes, a crossover cable is required to DIRECTLY connect 2 PC's ethernet
    : cards without using a router/hub/switch. It is an acceptable way to make
    : a quick and dirty connection, tho you will need to manually configure each
    : machine's network settings (ip, dns, etc).

    Oops, I don't want to have to get into configuring the settings for each machine. A follow-up post suggested getting a straight through cable when using a broadband router, which I do have. I think, for me, that will be a simpler method to use. My thanks to you for your quick and thorough explanation. All you guys are so helpful on this board.

    Mary

    Yes! You need two cables! One for each PC and if your is set to assign IP
    addresses to the PCs automatically (known as DHCP services) then you would
    normally have "very little" to configure. The only thign you would need to
    set up if "file sharing" and which folders.

[...]

Connection Computers Cable Windows XP