Color accuracy

Josh

I'm working with a Canon i560 printer and I've had particular trouble with
reds and oranges which tend to look a little muddy. Recently I used
Photoshop Elements to produce a swatch of RGB Red (ie red 256, green 0,
blue 0) I printed this out using OEM Canon ink and the result is noticeably
on the orange side of red and again decidedly not vivid but somewhat muddy.
I have two i560s and the results are the same on each printer. Can anyone
help me?
Josh

josh wrote:
> I'm working with a Canon i560 printer and I've had particular trouble with
> reds and oranges which tend to look a little muddy. Recently I used
> Photoshop Elements to produce a swatch of RGB Red (ie red 256, green 0,
> blue 0) I printed this out using OEM Canon ink and the result is noticeably
> on the orange side of red and again decidedly not vivid but somewhat muddy.
> I have two i560s and the results are the same on each printer. Can anyone
> help me?
> Josh

Assuming that the print drivers work like the i960, go into manual
settings and remove some cyan with the sliders. Less cyan = more red. If
the colors are not saturated enough add everything else and keep cyan at
the same place, which is still less cyan.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:37:26 GMT, "josh" <josqb@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm working with a Canon i560 printer and I've had particular trouble with
>reds and oranges which tend to look a little muddy. Recently I used
>Photoshop Elements to produce a swatch of RGB Red (ie red 256, green 0,
>blue 0) I printed this out using OEM Canon ink and the result is noticeably
>on the orange side of red and again decidedly not vivid but somewhat muddy.
>I have two i560s and the results are the same on each printer. Can anyone
>help me?
>Josh

Sure.... im sure you will get great results with these settings. I'm
not familiar with elements but im sure you have the same color
management options as full PS...

First, get your monitor in somewhat good working range by using this
page and read it in its entirety. After you are satisfied you are ok
to go, then open photoshop elements
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

Now, in your elements, (im assuming you are printing from elements)
open a photo and select print with preview...

Then you may need to check the box below the preview to "Show more
options"

now in the box "print space" set that to "printer color management"

hit, done or save....

then when you print, go into your printer drivers dialog box and be
sure to select the "ICM" option.

You will be very close to printing what you see on screen off the bat.

Do not use any color adjustments in your printer drivers. See how the
new settings work with the sliders and intensity at default.

I also highly recommend setting elements to use the adobeRGB
workspace. If you are saving files for the web or email, then convert
the file to sRGB colorspace and save it.. Otherwise when the photos
are opened with software that does not support adobe color spaced,
they may appear desaturaged just a bit.

Converting to sRGB will ensure the proper levels for an sRGB picture
viewer and not appear desaturated.

Let me know if you try my suggestions and how it worked for you.