China-based Tencent Buys Minority Stake in Epic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I'm not sure if giving a Chinese company a toe hold in your company is a good idea but if Mike Capps thinks this won't end badly then go right ahead.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Make a bigger engine? Unreal Engine 3 is already used in countless game, and UE4 is almost here. What exactly will having the input of a chinese company "in a good way" do for an already enormously successful technology company?

Too many cooks.....

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
of course they will only own small minority in Epic Games. It's only ten-cents...
it looks like they're going to go deeper into mmo in china, and with good relationship with a local company they hope to get into it better than as a foreign/us company.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Why not? The Chinese practically own the USA anyway.[/citation]

China own 8% of our debt. About 46% is own by other Foreign governments. the rest is own by American people and its government.

This china owns usa is just a joke in economics gone too far that its making people like you believe it.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]China own 8% of our debt.[/citation]

Thanks for clearing that up... and here I was thinking that 8% of $14 trillion was a big deal.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Thanks for clearing that up... and here I was thinking that 8% of $14 trillion was a big deal.[/citation]

Thanks for clearing that up... and here I was thinking 100% of one dollar was a big deal.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Reagan debt: $935.1 billion to $2.8 trillion ------(1.865 trillion increase)
Bush debt: $2.8 trillion to $4.145 trillion ------(1.345 trillion increase)
Clinton debt: $4.145 trillion to $5.95 trillion-----(1.805 trillion increase)
Bush debt (two terms): $5.95 trillion to $11.315 trillion----- (5.365 trillion increase)
Obama debt (one term): $11.315 trillion to +14.294 trillion (of last year 2011) ---- (2.979 trillion increase) might increase further with a second term

According to my professor about $9.8 trillion is own by american people and government. China holds the highest of all foreign countries.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Make a bigger engine? Unreal Engine 3 is already used in countless game, and UE4 is almost here. What exactly will having the input of a chinese company "in a good way" do for an already enormously successful technology company?Too many cooks.....[/citation]

i think they want to make the engine as popular as the "Made In China" Stamp :lol:

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Make a bigger engine? Unreal Engine 3 is already used in countless game, and UE4 is almost here. What exactly will having the input of a chinese company "in a good way" do for an already enormously successful technology company?Too many cooks.....[/citation]

china wont be able to merssesly pirate the tech?

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]China own 8% of our debt. About 46% is own by other Foreign governments. the rest is own by American people and its government. This china owns usa is just a joke in economics gone too far that its making people like you believe it.[/citation]

yea, 8%... thats what, over 1 trillion$... if they call the debt they would collapse out economy, they really do own us, and its why when they do something really bad, we never call them out on it. they have a gun to our heads, and tell us to look the other way or else.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Reagan debt: $935.1 billion to $2.8 trillion ------(1.865 trillion increase) Bush debt: $2.8 trillion to $4.145 trillion ------(1.345 trillion increase) Clinton debt: $4.145 trillion to $5.95 trillion-----(1.805 trillion increase) Bush debt (two terms): $5.95 trillion to $11.315 trillion----- (5.365 trillion increase) Obama debt (one term): $11.315 trillion to +14.294 trillion (of last year 2011) ---- (2.979 trillion increase) might increase further with a second term According to my professor about $9.8 trillion is own by american people and government. China holds the highest of all foreign countries.[/citation]

when you are talking about big numbers like that, you also have to take into account the value of the $ at the time, and how many policies are run overs from the previous president, other than that, good summary.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
@alidan

if china calls in the 8% of our debt. That 1.2 trillion dollars means our money value drops to a lower point thus causing an international markets collapse = a domino effect that will kill china market of cheap export to the US. They purposely trying to keep their money lower than us. Incase they do call in the money that means U.S. starts to buy US made products instead = a slowly building giant with a better system. China wants to own more debt because its a good trade business for them to export things cheap to us. and if our money value drops that means the debt they have on us is of no value to them.

China is playing a nasty strategy that won't work for long.

also from my previous post i didn't adjust for inflation but if it was adjusted then it would be the same in 2001- before The 911 accident, that's like knocking off 1.8 trillion.
Two things to blame are Fuel and loans.
Evil overlords = corporates like Fannie and Freddie

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Reagan debt: $935.1 billion to $2.8 trillion ------(1.865 trillion increase) Bush debt: $2.8 trillion to $4.145 trillion ------(1.345 trillion increase) Clinton debt: $4.145 trillion to $5.95 trillion-----(1.805 trillion increase) Bush debt (two terms): $5.95 trillion to $11.315 trillion----- (5.365 trillion increase) Obama debt (one term): $11.315 trillion to +14.294 trillion (of last year 2011) ---- (2.979 trillion increase) might increase further with a second term According to my professor about $9.8 trillion is own by american people and government. China holds the highest of all foreign countries.[/citation]

China is just an investor in American bonds (less so lately). They are just essentially a board member who have a minority stake and say. However, if they happened to pull their stock and sell their bonds, this could trigger a largescale collapse of the USD value and severely harm the US imports, as your money would suddenly become worth less. China would not do this however, because they rely on the US to purchase a large part of their exports.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]DryCreamer[/nom]China's domestic market is still growing, once it matures, they won't need the American market as much any more...Dry[/citation]

For that to happen the population of china needs to be in check with enough trade to other countries. Or all that factory workers will be on the street. So that why china is moving towards innovation (technology) like Japan. Slowly getting rid of factories. That will take about 3 to 4 decades. And they are pretty smart at it. Sending their children to america to study (cheaply) and return to homeland china and compete with american innovation. Oh not to mention all the hacking and secret tech they steal from us.

G

Instead of always viewing China as an enemy maybe some of you might start looking at them as a partner. In a partnership, you own some of their debt, they own some of your debt. You trade and both reward from the transactions.

I think if the US keeps disrespecting China year after year, complaining about stupid things like "religious freedom" instead of concentrating on important things like the economy (you know, what actually makes things go round), eventually they will get fed up with us. Do you really want China as an business competitor or as a business partner?

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Instead of always viewing China as an enemy maybe some of you might start looking at them as a partner. In a partnership, you own some of their debt, they own some of your debt. You trade and both reward from the transactions.I think if the US keeps disrespecting China year after year, complaining about stupid things like "religious freedom" instead of concentrating on important things like the economy (you know, what actually makes things go round), eventually they will get fed up with us. Do you really want China as an business competitor or as a business partner?[/citation]

Andy Chow... i figure your Asian. we don't see China as our enemy (some may do, the ones that lost their job). we want fairness. If you truly understand for years the american people are losing jobs @ 9% rate. It's the unfair trade practices

The Chinese government is a currency manipulator and they steal intellectual property. we are trying to find a common ground with you. But nothing won't change. The system will continue like this.

My senator said, "They use the rules of free trade when it benefits them and spurn the rules of free trade when it benefits them. And for years and years and years, Americans have grimaced, shrugged their shoulders but never done anything"

[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Instead of always viewing China as an enemy maybe some of you might start looking at them as a partner. In a partnership, you own some of their debt, they own some of your debt. You trade and both reward from the transactions.I think if the US keeps disrespecting China year after year, complaining about stupid things like "religious freedom" instead of concentrating on important things like the economy (you know, what actually makes things go round), eventually they will get fed up with us. Do you really want China as an business competitor or as a business partner?[/citation]

I think it becomes difficult for all foreign companies to compete in China since it isn't a free market. Chinese government imposes a lot of restrictive laws to protect their home industry. This has been well known and well-studied, and is a point of contention between all foreign governments and China.

There's also the nature of many Chinese firms to completely disregard intellectual rights. The Chinese high-speed rail project is one such example, with a mish-mash of IP and patents copied outright from Siemens, French TGV and Japanese Shinkansen. So for foreign companies to "partner" with a Chines firm is like handing over the keys to your house.

Of course, being such a large market, China is irresistible for most companies, especially when the Western markets are reaching a plateau.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]@alidan if china calls in the 8% of our debt. That 1.2 trillion dollars means our money value drops to a lower point thus causing an international markets collapse = a domino effect that will kill china market of cheap export to the US. They purposely trying to keep their money lower than us. Incase they do call in the money that means U.S. starts to buy US made products instead = a slowly building giant with a better system. China wants to own more debt because its a good trade business for them to export things cheap to us. and if our money value drops that means the debt they have on us is of no value to them. China is playing a nasty strategy that won't work for long. also from my previous post i didn't adjust for inflation but if it was adjusted then it would be the same in 2001- before The 911 accident, that's like knocking off 1.8 trillion. Two things to blame are Fuel and loans. Evil overlords = corporates like Fannie and Freddie[/citation]

you are thinking of it as someone who is rational, however i'm betting that if the usd looses value, even than, it would hurt china fall less than us.

look at it as a kind of mad (mutually assured destruction) china does allot of crap that if it was any other country, we would be at least complaining diplomatically, but we shut up because of what fall out could come from it.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Andy Chow... i figure your Asian. we don't see China as our enemy (some may do, the ones that lost their job). we want fairness. If you truly understand for years the american people are losing jobs @ 9% rate. It's the unfair trade practices The Chinese government is a currency manipulator and they steal intellectual property. we are trying to find a common ground with you. But nothing won't change. The system will continue like this. My senator said, "They use the rules of free trade when it benefits them and spurn the rules of free trade when it benefits them. And for years and years and years, Americans have grimaced, shrugged their shoulders but never done anything"[/citation]

I would implore any American to visit China with an open mind. The constant bickering about China is evil or not good or destroying America is an American objective from Americans that cannot see past their own nose.

Most Chinese people in China can careless about America or coming to America. They actual enjoy working in some of those factories since it provides so many benefits that American can not have.

No, the problem with America is not China, it is America. It is all the Americans that want to become rich by stepping on everyone else to get there. It's America lack of morals that prevent them from success. Its America's arrogance to impose their "democratic" ways on other countries where no one asked them to be. The debt that America has is completely their fault, like a immature kid with a credit card buying all the expensive name brand clothing without thinking about it.

No, don't go blaming China for your problems, blame America, blame the countless CEO and Financial advisers out there that only think for themselves.

One day China might just recall that loan, not because it doesn't like the interest it is getting from it, but to teach a child a lesson about being respectful.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I would implore any American to visit China with an open mind. The constant bickering about China is evil or not good or destroying America is an American objective from Americans that cannot see past their own nose.Most Chinese people in China can careless about America or coming to America. They actual enjoy working in some of those factories since it provides so many benefits that American can not have.No, the problem with America is not China, it is America. It is all the Americans that want to become rich by stepping on everyone else to get there. It's America lack of morals that prevent them from success. Its America's arrogance to impose their "democratic" ways on other countries where no one asked them to be. The debt that America has is completely their fault, like a immature kid with a credit card buying all the expensive name brand clothing without thinking about it.No, don't go blaming China for your problems, blame America, blame the countless CEO and Financial advisers out there that only think for themselves. One day China might just recall that loan, not because it doesn't like the interest it is getting from it, but to teach a child a lesson about being respectful.[/citation]

Please don't open your mouth if you don't have words to back up your statement. your generalizing your ignorant ideology. You must be from a foreign land who views of the west as twisted as ever. I can't change your mind. But economics 101 the entire world knows china what they are.

and i do agree with you, its our fault for letting this happen. What we need to do is to pull out from foreign influence, aids, wars, business and lock down everything with people with cocky trade behaviors.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Please don't open your mouth if you don't have words to back up your statement. your generalizing your ignorant ideology. You must be from a foreign land who views of the west as twisted as ever. I can't change your mind. But economics 101 the entire world knows china what they are. and i do agree with you, its our fault for letting this happen. What we need to do is to pull out from foreign influence, aids, wars, business and lock down everything with people with cocky trade behaviors.[/citation]

Hmm, so you would rather someone close their month and listen to the trash that you speak of other countries without any knowledge how these people live in these countries? You're right about one thing, you are a typical American. You think you know everything about the world and how it should be run, however, let me tell you this little guy, open your school books and study hard. You will need it when you start in the real-world.

And I stand by my view, if America didn't go off starting a war with other countries and kept staying there tell Americans that they are doing it for their safety (not the oil) then you would not have that much debt.

When will you people learn? When you will people stop being jealous of other countries, why can't you people learn to live in peace?

As for China, people there are happy. Let's me give you an eye-opening insight. While every ghetto in the USA is filled with Liquor stores to keep those people poor and hopeless, China's Ghettos have state sponsored charity centers for people that really need help to go their and get jobs, food, shelter, clothing, whatever they need to become productive members of society. And there isn't a long drawn out process for paperwork like in US. Funny, China seems so bad to Americans, but it is okay, Chinese know the truth.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]Hmm, so you would rather someone close their month and listen to the trash that you speak of other countries without any knowledge how these people live in these countries? You're right about one thing, you are a typical American. You think you know everything about the world and how it should be run, however, let me tell you this little guy, open your school books and study hard. You will need it when you start in the real-world. And I stand by my view, if America didn't go off starting a war with other countries and kept staying there tell Americans that they are doing it for their safety (not the oil) then you would not have that much debt. When will you people learn? When you will people stop being jealous of other countries, why can't you people learn to live in peace?As for China, people there are happy. Let's me give you an eye-opening insight. While every ghetto in the USA is filled with Liquor stores to keep those people poor and hopeless, China's Ghettos have state sponsored charity centers for people that really need help to go their and get jobs, food, shelter, clothing, whatever they need to become productive members of society. And there isn't a long drawn out process for paperwork like in US. Funny, China seems so bad to Americans, but it is okay, Chinese know the truth.[/citation]

yay i'm happy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.