The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive

July 28, 2004 4:20:08 AM

The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
again.

The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
expensive (and uglier).

The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may make
sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are charging
for that extra memory!

The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
threatening weapon!

And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones had
a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!

I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.

And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
sad!!

NC

More about : ipaqs ugly expensive

July 28, 2004 4:20:09 AM

Nome Cognome wrote:
> Hey HP wake up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our
> phones

Not only that (well, I don't) but I have a nice 4MP Kodak digicam that
works just fine. No need to have a fixed-focus, no-flash, pixely, grainy
POS camera attached to everything. If I wanted something like that, I'd
use my ancient Polaroid Funflash 320 that is gathering dust somewhere.

--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.

Nome Cognome wrote:

> The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
> again.
>
> The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
> expensive (and uglier).
>
> The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
> just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
> up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may make
> sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
> camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
> ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are charging
> for that extra memory!
>
> The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
> brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
> airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
> threatening weapon!
>
> And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones had
> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are butt-ugly.

And I couldn't agree more about the camera thing. I have a Casio Exilim
Ex-S3 for my carry-around digicam and an Olympus Camedia E-100RS for
serious sports shooting (which will be replaced with a Nikon D70 if I
ever get an extra $1300 to spare).

But hey, my Pocket PC is still a Jornada 568. I'm still wating for a
size and weight similar model to the 4155 with a 568-style flip cover.

Typical marketing-driven design. They hope to sell on marketing and name
alone.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf
July 28, 2004 4:20:09 AM

Cool! I just bought a refurbed 4155 from HP website - looks like it was a
good buy!
One question, though, I am switching from a Palm - can I write to the device
in all apps using a Grafitti like function?

"Nome Cognome" <nome.cognome@tin.it> wrote in message
> The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
> again.
>
> The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
> expensive (and uglier).
>
> The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
> just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
> up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may
make
> sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
> camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
> ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are
charging
> for that extra memory!
>
> The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
> brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
> airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
> threatening weapon!
>
> And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones
had
> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.
>
> And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
> sad!!
>
> NC

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:20:09 AM

Well, let me be the first here to say that I am looking forward to the 4705.
I think it finally marries all the things I wanted in a PDA.. A hi-res
screen, Bt, WiFi, Compact Flash as well as SDIO. No need for an additional
sleeve to get CF.... I am REALLY looking forward to this PDA and will
purchase it once it comes out.. Congrats to HP for not getting stuck in a
rut of on older design.... One question I have and it would be important to
me... the 5555 had the memory backup battery, do you think the 4705 will as
well?

Rick Wessels

> [...]

> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.
>
> And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
> sad!!
>
> NC

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:20:09 AM

Well, let me be the first here to say that I am looking forward to the 4705.
I think it finally marries all the things I wanted in a PDA.. A hi-res
screen, Bt, WiFi, Compact Flash as well as SDIO. No need for an additional
sleeve to get CF.... I am REALLY looking forward to this PDA and will
purchase it once it comes out.. Congrats to HP for not getting stuck in a
rut of on older design.... One question I have and it would be important to
me... the 5555 had the memory backup battery that was common to the Jornada
series,
do you think the 4705 will as well?

Rick Wessels

"Nome Cognome" <nome.cognome@tin.it> wrote in message
> The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
> again.
>
> The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
> expensive (and uglier).
>
> The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
> just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
> up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may
make
> sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
> camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
> ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are
charging
> for that extra memory!
>
> The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
> brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
> airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
> threatening weapon!
>
> And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones
had
> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.
>
> And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
> sad!!
>
> NC

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:25:52 PM

I bought the h2210 this year and I must say, I was worried about the
new HP models, in the sense that i might regret my purchase and wish i
had waited a little more. Seeing now that the rx1700 costs practically
as much as the h2210, but without the compact flash, the twice as fast
processor, and the user replaceable battery, and that the only model
that could tempt me is the 4700, which costs twice and a half how much
the h2210 costs, I must say that I have nothing to regret.

They really seem to have gone crazy with their pricing.

"Nome Cognome" <nome.cognome@tin.it> wrote in message news:<#GRWnfCdEHA.1424@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
> again.
>
> The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
> expensive (and uglier).
>
> The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
> just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
> up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may make
> sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
> camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
> ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are charging
> for that extra memory!
>
> The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
> brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
> airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
> threatening weapon!
>
> And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones had
> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.
>
> And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
> sad!!
>
> NC
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:14:29 PM

Richard Wessels wrote:
> Well, let me be the first here to say that I am looking forward to the 4705.
> I think it finally marries all the things I wanted in a PDA.. A hi-res
> screen, Bt, WiFi, Compact Flash as well as SDIO. No need for an additional
> sleeve to get CF.... I am REALLY looking forward to this PDA and will
> purchase it once it comes out.. Congrats to HP for not getting stuck in a
> rut of on older design.... One question I have and it would be important to
> me... the 5555 had the memory backup battery, do you think the 4705 will as
> well?
>
> Rick Wessels

I hope they're happy with moving only one unit and how long have you been working for hp?

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ยง227, any and
all unsolicited commercial Email sent to this address is subject to a

For me, the next purchase will be along the MDA III line. 4150 is about the
best they had produce...except for the missing CF slot but it is so sleek!

Don't really know whose fault it is for the "new" designs. Compaq or HP?!

"Nome Cognome" <nome.cognome@tin.it> wrote in message
> The new iPaqs are so ugly and expensive that the 2003 models will be hot
> again.
>
> The 1940 was faster and with more memory than the rx1700 that is even more
> expensive (and uglier).
>
> The 4150 was so nice and slim and they turned it into the horrible rx3700
> just because it's trendy to have a camera on any gadget today. Hey HP wake
> up! It's too late now, we already have cameras in our phones, so it may
make
> sense to have a camera in the h6315 but it doesn't make sense to have a
> camera in a PDA-only device, particularly if you need to shape it like an
> ugly shoe box! And an SD card costs 3 times less than what you are
charging
> for that extra memory!
>
> The 4700... what can I say... it costs like a laptop and if you buy that
> brick you are at risk of not boarding your plane next time you are at the
> airport: that thing is so thick and heavy that security will consider it a
> threatening weapon!
>
> And finally the so much anticipated h6315: gosh... last time GSM phones
had
> a protruding antenna programmers were busy with the Y2K fixes!!
>
> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.
>
> And I was waiting for these announcements to choose my third iPaq.... how
> sad!!
>
> NC

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 9:37:18 PM

Compaq only exists in desktop computers and PDA mainboards
and not in name anymore since they merged with HP.
Any Compaq website address now links to HP.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

On 28 Jul 2004 09:25:52 -0700, Mike Henley wrote:

> processor, and the user replaceable battery, and that the only model
> that could tempt me is the 4700, which costs twice and a half how much
> the h2210 costs, I must say that I have nothing to regret.

Large hi-res screens do cost a lot. Mind you I get the feeling HP have lost
the plot somewhat.

I think I'll be sticking with my 2210 for a while longer.

--
Marc Cornelius
July 29, 2004 3:39:40 AM

True...but their designs are quite obvious which "branch" they originate
from...

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Compaq only exists in desktop computers and PDA mainboards
> and not in name anymore since they merged with HP.
> Any Compaq website address now links to HP.
>

> ~S.
>

> <int_spy> wrote in news:o oNNvXIdEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
> > Compaq or HP?!
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:55:49 AM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:20:08 +0200, Nome Cognome wrote
(in article <#GRWnfCdEHA.1424@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):

> I guess the 2003 models were already in the Compaq pipeline when HP and
> Compaq merged; now we are back to the awful Jornada days.

I take it you've held them all in your hands, and formed your
opinion that way? ;)

Personally, I think the rx1700/3700 are less attractive than the
1900/2200/4100 series.

The 6300 is unique, in that it's the first to give BT, WiFi, IR
and GSM/GPRS in one device. The fact that it has an external
antenna doesn't bother me too much. I'd prefer an internal
antenna, but if that doesn't happen, it doesn't. It didn't harm
the attraction of the Palm Treo 600. :)

I think the 4700 is a cool looking device. Sure, hefty, but also
probably pretty solid. Yes, it did make me think of the Jornada
days. And I was glad too, since IMO the Jornada was a better
built device than the iPAQ 3600 series and on. At least I've had
much less problems with the Jornadas.

But happily for you there'll be other brands to choose from.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices