digital video camera

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
PC - anyone help?
9 answers Last reply
More about digital video camera
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

    shuggie wrote:
    > Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
    > PC - anyone help?

    ---------neeed moore innfo------
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "shuggie" <jmca_ngc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
    > PC - anyone help?

    Does your pc have the inputs to add your camera, firewire or something?
    Without listing your equipment we can only guess...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

    You need a firewire/IEEE1394 PCI card if your motherboard doesn't have it
    already. Most new motherboards do.
    And obviously a firewire cable to connect with.

    "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote in message
    > shuggie wrote:
    > > Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
    > > PC - anyone help?
    >
    > ---------neeed moore innfo------
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:33:47 +1030, Pete H wrote:

    > "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote in message
    >> shuggie wrote:
    >> > Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
    >> > PC - anyone help?
    >>
    > You need a firewire/IEEE1394 PCI card if your motherboard doesn't have it
    > already. Most new motherboards do.
    > And obviously a firewire cable to connect with.

    Not being a video person I'm a little out of my field here, but that
    sounds like pure BS. All he should need is any of many cheap video capture
    cards. Hook the camera to it and playback the same as a TV. Capture it
    with the video card. Firewire in itslef has nothing to do with video.

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:33:47 +1030, Pete H wrote:
    >

    >>"M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote in message

    >>You need a firewire/IEEE1394 PCI card if your motherboard doesn't have it
    >>already. Most new motherboards do.
    >>And obviously a firewire cable to connect with.
    >>

    > Not being a video person I'm a little out of my field here, but that
    > sounds like pure BS. All he should need is any of many cheap video capture
    > cards. Hook the camera to it and playback the same as a TV. Capture it
    > with the video card. Firewire in itslef has nothing to do with video.

    I would second the need for a Firewire interface (depending on the
    camera of course) and then software like Adobe Premiere.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp (More info?)

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:33:47 +1030, Pete H wrote:
    >
    >> "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You need a firewire/IEEE1394 PCI card if your motherboard doesn't
    >> have it already. Most new motherboards do.
    >> And obviously a firewire cable to connect with.
    >
    > Not being a video person I'm a little out of my field here, but that
    > sounds like pure BS. All he should need is any of many cheap video
    > capture cards. Hook the camera to it and playback the same as a TV.
    > Capture it with the video card. Firewire in itslef has nothing to do
    > with video.

    Yes, but doing things that way (usually) has a noticable impact on picture
    quality. DV cameras store all the information digitally (surprise :) ) in a
    lossy compressed format. Getting the output involves decompressing,
    digital->analog converson, analog->digital conversion, then recompression.
    This degrades the picture, especially so in low-light conditions. Pretty
    much every DV camera sports a firewire interface, which enables you to get
    the compressed data directly from the tape, minimising any quality loss.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

    Probably not, most recent DV cameras also include USB 1.1/2.0 and Firewire
    connectors/cables as well as the CVBS/SVHS cables and connectors now days.

    OTOH, the TV card could be very handy if you wanted to watch TV or listen to
    FM radio, or convert video tapes to DVD/VCD.

    Dave

    "shuggie" <jmca_ngc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Do I need a video capture card to use a digital video camera with my
    > PC - anyone help?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > >> You need a firewire/IEEE1394 PCI card if your motherboard doesn't
    > >> have it already. Most new motherboards do.
    > >> And obviously a firewire cable to connect with.
    > >
    > > Not being a video person I'm a little out of my field here, but that
    > > sounds like pure BS. All he should need is any of many cheap video
    > > capture cards. Hook the camera to it and playback the same as a TV.
    > > Capture it with the video card. Firewire in itslef has nothing to do
    > > with video.

    This is much closer to BS than what it was replying to (except for
    the part about the poster being out of his depth).

    > Yes, but doing things that way (usually) has a noticable impact on picture
    > quality. DV cameras store all the information digitally (surprise :) ) in a
    > lossy compressed format. Getting the output involves decompressing,
    > digital->analog converson, analog->digital conversion, then recompression.
    > This degrades the picture, especially so in low-light conditions. Pretty
    > much every DV camera sports a firewire interface, which enables you to get
    > the compressed data directly from the tape, minimising any quality loss.

    Exactly. Firewire is a much better option and certainly no more expensive.
    Also if the camera has digital in it allows lossless recording of captured/
    processed video back to tape.

    If the OP has no other software then for starters you can capture with
    Microsofts free Windows Movie Maker and also do some simple
    editing. If you want to play with compressors try Windows Media Encoder,
    also free. Not that I'm a big MS fan but that stuff is not bad for beginners.

    David
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:37:22 +0100, David Johnstone wrote:

    >> > Not being a video person I'm a little out of my field here, but that
    >> > sounds like pure BS. All he should need is any of many cheap video
    >> > capture cards. Hook the camera to it and playback the same as a TV.
    >> > Capture it with the video card. Firewire in itslef has nothing to do
    >> > with video.
    >
    > This is much closer to BS than what it was replying to (except for the
    > part about the poster being out of his depth).

    Well, it's not BS, it's one way to do it, and it's the only way if the
    camera doesn't have any other output. So blindly stating you need firewire
    without knowing what camera the OP has is just making an assumption that
    his camera has a firewire output. Now I've seen them that didn't, but I
    don't recall seeing one that didn't have an output to a TV, be it analog.
    A/V, or S-video. And the statement above is BS in other ways, as most new
    MB's already have firewire. That's BS too. A lot do, but most, I doubt it.

    >> Yes, but doing things that way (usually) has a noticable impact on
    >> picture quality. DV cameras store all the information digitally
    >> (surprise :) ) in a lossy compressed format. Getting the output involves
    >> decompressing, digital->analog converson, analog->digital conversion,
    >> then recompression. This degrades the picture, especially so in
    >> low-light conditions. Pretty much every DV camera sports a firewire
    >> interface, which enables you to get the compressed data directly from
    >> the tape, minimising any quality loss.
    >
    > Exactly. Firewire is a much better option and certainly no more expensive.
    > Also if the camera has digital in it allows lossless recording of
    > captured/ processed video back to tape.

    If his camera even supports firewire. He didn't say.

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

AMD Overclocking Video Capture Cameras Digital Video