Asus A8V is a POS for overclocking!

Well it is if you use the onboard Via or Promise Sata.

Seems the controllers aren't protected by the pci clock lock.
As according to Asus UK tech support "it's on a different bus"
Wish I'd caught a different bloody bus now...

I wish we could unlock the multi's, oh well :(

"fasteddy" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message
> Well it is if you use the onboard Via or Promise Sata.
>
> Seems the controllers aren't protected by the pci clock lock.
> As according to Asus UK tech support "it's on a different bus"
> Wish I'd caught a different bloody bus now...
>
> I wish we could unlock the multi's, oh well :(

I have an A8V with 3200+ Winchester running fine at 2.4GHz. I believe it's
only the VIA SATA controllers that are not influenced by locking the PCI/AGP
(at least that is the only one being discussed as problematical on AMD
Forums, Asus motherboard group), as I have drives on the Promise SATA and no
hint of any problems.
If I'm wrong, please don't tell my PC ;)

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

>> "fasteddy" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message
>> Well it is if you use the onboard Via or Promise Sata.
>>
>> Seems the controllers aren't protected by the pci clock lock.
>> As according to Asus UK tech support "it's on a different bus"
>> Wish I'd caught a different bloody bus now...

> I have an A8V with 3200+ Winchester running fine at 2.4GHz. I believe it's
> only the VIA SATA controllers that are not influenced by locking the
> PCI/AGP (at least that is the only one being discussed as problematical on
> AMD Forums, Asus motherboard group), as I have drives on the Promise SATA
> and no hint of any problems.
> If I'm wrong, please don't tell my PC ;)

Cheers Peter,
I've swapped my drives over to the promise.
Thanks for the clarification and the relief!
All the best
Eddy

> Cheers Peter,
> I've swapped my drives over to the promise.
> Thanks for the clarification and the relief!
> All the best
> Eddy

Hope you have the same good results I've had.
Good luck!

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

> "fasteddy" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message
>> Well it is if you use the onboard Via or Promise Sata.
>>
>> Seems the controllers aren't protected by the pci clock lock.
>> As according to Asus UK tech support "it's on a different bus"
>> Wish I'd caught a different bloody bus now...
>>
>> I wish we could unlock the multi's, oh well :(
>>
> I have an A8V with 3200+ Winchester running fine at 2.4GHz. I believe it's
> only the VIA SATA controllers that are not influenced by locking the
> PCI/AGP (at least that is the only one being discussed as problematical on
> AMD Forums, Asus motherboard group), as I have drives on the Promise SATA
> and no hint of any problems.
> If I'm wrong, please don't tell my PC ;)

I have a single drive connected via one of the VIA SATA sockets. It is
happily running at HTT 270MHz - that is my 1.8GHz 3000+ Winchester at 2.7GHz
:eek:))

I ought to add that it is a rev 2.0 board though.

Pete

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:50:28 +0000, Immuno wrote:

> I have a single drive connected via one of the VIA SATA sockets. It is
> happily running at HTT 270MHz - that is my 1.8GHz 3000+ Winchester at
> 2.7GHz
> :eek:))
>
> I ought to add that it is a rev 2.0 board though.

Hmmm... Multiplier 9. Bus at 270. 9x270=2430MHz. I'm trying to figure out
how you got 2700MHz out of this.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:50:28 +0000, Immuno wrote:
>
>> I have a single drive connected via one of the VIA SATA sockets. It is
>> happily running at HTT 270MHz - that is my 1.8GHz 3000+ Winchester at
>> 2.7GHz
>> :eek:))
>>
>> I ought to add that it is a rev 2.0 board though.
>>
> Hmmm... Multiplier 9. Bus at 270. 9x270=2430MHz. I'm trying to figure out
> how you got 2700MHz out of this.

> http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Hi Wes, long time since we put those xp's in the kt7...lol
Hope you (and it) are still well...

Different on the A64... HTT isn't the same as FSB. You can use a HTT divider
to lower the memory speed outside of the FSB.

I'd shift that drive to the promise if I was Immuno, tho. as mine's a rev
2.0
and they still don't lock the via sata... very poor show really.

All the best
Eddy

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:50:28 +0000, Immuno wrote:
>
>> I have a single drive connected via one of the VIA SATA sockets. It is
>> happily running at HTT 270MHz - that is my 1.8GHz 3000+ Winchester at
>> 2.7GHz
>> :eek:))
>>
>> I ought to add that it is a rev 2.0 board though.
>>
> Hmmm... Multiplier 9. Bus at 270. 9x270=2430MHz. I'm trying to figure out
> how you got 2700MHz out of this.

> http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Your quite right - it should have been 2.52GHz, sorry ......brain fade!

Pete

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:59:44 +0000, fasteddy wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:50:28 +0000, Immuno wrote:
>>
>>> I have a single drive connected via one of the VIA SATA sockets. It is
>>> happily running at HTT 270MHz - that is my 1.8GHz 3000+ Winchester at
>>> 2.7GHz
>>> :eek:))
>>>
>>> I ought to add that it is a rev 2.0 board though.
>>>
>> Hmmm... Multiplier 9. Bus at 270. 9x270=2430MHz. I'm trying to figure
>> out how you got 2700MHz out of this.
>>
> Hi Wes, long time since we put those xp's in the kt7...lol Hope you (and
> it) are still well...

Gave it to my daughter some time back and it's still going. probably
outlast me.

> Different on the A64... HTT isn't the same as FSB. You can use a HTT
> divider to lower the memory speed outside of the FSB.

Yeah, got one, but the way he wrote it, I think he meant the system bus
rather than the HTT bus. Anyway the HTT clock will follow the system clock
just like the memory bus will. Funny about that as all the reviewers of
the early boards said they couldn't get more than about 220Mhz out of the
system bus because it didn't have a PCI lock. Took me about 2 minutes to
get mine clocked to 233MHz which put my old 3000+ at 2333MHz. Guess good
help's hard to find these days.:) Good to see you're still around.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm