Dual channel question

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

On a 3 slot dual channel m/b, if you have 2x256Mb in the 2 dual channel
slots, and a 512Mb in the 3rd, the system on boot reports it's running in
dual channel mode. So does Everest. But is it really? How does the 3rd stick
or RAM in slot three run in dual channel? Or is my understanding imperfect?

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
> On a 3 slot dual channel m/b, if you have 2x256Mb in the 2 dual channel
> slots, and a 512Mb in the 3rd, the system on boot reports it's running in
> dual channel mode. So does Everest. But is it really? How does the 3rd
> stick or RAM in slot three run in dual channel? Or is my understanding
> imperfect?

1 slot is 1 channel, the other 2 slots are the 2nd channel. As long as the
memory is split evenly, it'll run dual-channel. There's 3 slots but only 2
channels.

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

| "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
| > On a 3 slot dual channel m/b, if you have 2x256Mb in the 2 dual channel
| > slots, and a 512Mb in the 3rd, the system on boot reports it's running in
| > dual channel mode. So does Everest. But is it really? How does the 3rd
| > stick or RAM in slot three run in dual channel? Or is my understanding
| > imperfect?
| >
| 1 slot is 1 channel, the other 2 slots are the 2nd channel. As long as the
| memory is split evenly, it'll run dual-channel. There's 3 slots but only 2
| channels.

Is the "dual channel" set up significantly faster than two-single-channel one?
By how fast?

"TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> |
> | "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
> | > On a 3 slot dual channel m/b, if you have 2x256Mb in the 2 dual
> channel
> | > slots, and a 512Mb in the 3rd, the system on boot reports it's running
> in
> | > dual channel mode. So does Everest. But is it really? How does the 3rd
> | > stick or RAM in slot three run in dual channel? Or is my understanding
> | > imperfect?
> | >
> | 1 slot is 1 channel, the other 2 slots are the 2nd channel. As long as
> the
> | memory is split evenly, it'll run dual-channel. There's 3 slots but
> only 2
> | channels.
> |

> Is the "dual channel" set up significantly faster than two-single-channel
> one?
> By how fast?

A little, 5-7% faster in benchmarks.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/nforce2-1vs2channels/ Google is your