epson stylus CX5200...cartridge problem

Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
Anyone know how to resolve this?

any help appreciated.
thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus cx5200 cartridge problem

    "ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    > message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    > Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >
    > any help appreciated.
    > thanks

    If it's anything like my 3200, you use half the new ink during install ..
    bastard companys
    I dont have that printer, but it sounds to me like you do indeed have a 2nt
    dry ink cart, maybee the store you bought it from will check it for you?
    can you feel the weight difference

    Sometimes you may need to take out the cartridge,shake it lightly then put
    it back in!
    "ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    > message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    > Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >
    > any help appreciated.
    > thanks

    A number of things can cause this. I'm assuming you are using Epson OEM
    cartridges.

    The contacts that read the cartridge chip may be dirty, damaged or
    missing. The chip on one of the cartridges itself may be dirty, damaged
    or missing.

    There was a series of cartridges released that appear to be Epson OEM
    (can't say for sure as Epson's cartridges have been counterfeited very
    well) that were reported by numerous people as being defective in terms
    of their chip. Assuming you bought these as OEM Epson (even is they end
    up being counterfeit) I suggest you call Epson and tell them about the
    problem. In the cases I heard about, they shipped the people new
    cartridges. Only one cartridge needs to be reading empty for the
    printer not to work.

    While you're at it, you might wish to tell Epson what you think about
    their putting a technology into their printers which offers you NO real
    advantage, makes the printer and cartridges more costly to make, thwarts
    competition, by trying to make it difficult for 3rd parties to produce
    consumable (against the Sherman Anti-Trust Act in the US) and creates
    problems such as this.

    The only advantage I know of that this system allows for is that the
    information on how much ink is "supposed to" be in the cartridge is
    carried with the cartridge itself, rather than the printer, allowing you
    to change cartridges mid-stream or placing partially used ones in
    without the printer running out of ink during printing. The only reason
    this is even important is that Epson heads can develop air locks if the
    cartridge is run to empty making it difficult to restart the ink flow.

    Instead of spending so much money and engineering time on coming up with
    ways of trying to stop people from refilling the cartridges, or from
    being able to source 3rd party product, they could have spent the
    efforts fixing the air lock and potential clogging problems.

    Art

    ArchieNlsn wrote:

    > Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    > message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    > Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >
    > any help appreciated.
    > thanks

    By the way, with the CX5200, you have individual cartridges for each
    color. Why did you replace all the cartridges? I would only replace
    the one that showed up as being near empty.

    Art

    rstlne wrote:

    > "ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    >>message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    >>Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >>
    >>any help appreciated.
    >>thanks

    This should have no effect. Epson printers do not actually read the ink
    levels in the cartridge. The printer reads the chip, subtracts the
    assumed usage based upon your printing session, and then rewrites the
    chip to a lower number. It is all a bit inaccurate. The printer never
    "knows" the real amount of ink in the printer. Yes, you should shake
    the cartridge for the Durabrite ink cartridges because the pigment in
    the ink settles.

    You can try removing and reinstalling the cartridges in hope a bad
    connection between the chip and the chip contact wire will be corrected.

    Art

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:41:02 GMT, "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

    >"ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    >> message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    >> Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >>
    >> any help appreciated.
    >> thanks
    >>

    >If it's anything like my 3200, you use half the new ink during install ..
    >bastard companys
    >I dont have that printer, but it sounds to me like you do indeed have a 2nt
    >dry ink cart, maybee the store you bought it from will check it for you?
    >can you feel the weight difference

    Ink Tank not fully seated or chip contacts dirty or not making contact

    "ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    | Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    | message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    | Anyone know how to resolve this?

    I had a similar problem with a C82 epson replaced the carterages and
    everything worked fine. BTW I had a total of 3 (of 4) new cartarages turn
    up out of box bad that month.

    As I have previously mentioned, either Epson OEM or some well made
    counterfeits have been showing up which have bad cartridge chips. If
    this happens to you, contact Epson about it. At least in recent past,
    they were replacing these cartridges.

    Art

    Not Me wrote:

    > "ArchieNlsn" <archienlsn@aol.com> wrote in message
    > | Printer run out of ink, I replaced all cartridges and I now get an error
    > | message stating out of ink which obviously isn`t the case.
    > | Anyone know how to resolve this?
    >
    > I had a similar problem with a C82 epson replaced the carterages and
    > everything worked fine. BTW I had a total of 3 (of 4) new cartarages turn
    > up out of box bad that month.

    Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote in

    snip

    The only reason
    > this is even important is that Epson heads can develop air locks if
    > the cartridge is run to empty making it difficult to restart the ink
    > flow.
    >
    > Instead of spending so much money and engineering time on coming up
    > with ways of trying to stop people from refilling the cartridges, or
    > from being able to source 3rd party product, they could have spent the
    > efforts fixing the air lock and potential clogging problems.

    Ah, yes, the old air lock problem. My in-laws tried to get all the ink
    they could out of their CX5200 ink cartridges. They let the yellow run
    dry, and when they replaced it, nothing would print yellow. They
    performed enough cleaning cycles trying to get the thing to work again
    that they used up most of the cyan and magenta, too. The machine was a
    month out of warranty, so they junked it and bought a CX6400. They
    won't let this one run dry.

    They had a full set of unopened OEM CX5200 inks that they bought months
    ago. When the CX6400 needed its first black cartridge replacement, they
    assumed they could use the CX5200's cartridges in the CX6400. Nope.

    BTW, any idea why the CX6400 takes so long to print? That is, from the
    time you hit print to the time it starts printing, it takes about 10
    seconds, even with simple text documents. All settings are the same,
    factory default, as were with the CX5200, whose time to print was fast.

    In Epson's defense, I will say that they are good on their warranties.
    While their CX5200 was still under warranty, the scanner stopped
    working. One call to Epson to troubleshoot, and Epson determined it
    was hardware related. They sent out a new CX5200 in two days (it had
    all new inks), freight paid.

    Bruce

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals