Because of the Network Card: Dell Poweredge400SC cannot st..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi all,

My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.

I amusing Windows XP Pro.

Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC card
to fix the problem?

-----------------

I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest for 2
seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to logon screen):
everything else is
working, only the monitor was shutdown.

By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the monitor
can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...

That's on!

It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
harddisk, etc.

What is the problem?

FYI, I have done the following debugging:

1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:

dumppro admin minsleep=s3

2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
going standby now...

3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...

4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.

5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode to be
off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but that's
another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
later issue...)

6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.

That's all I've tried...

Still not able to go standby fully...

What's wrong?

I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.

And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,

it is always woken up after 2 seconds;

when the LAN cable is off,

it is OK with no problem.

So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...

"Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able to do
Wake-UP-on-Lan

later on remotely...

Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?
8 answers Last reply
More about because network card dell poweredge400sc
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    networm wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.
    >
    > I amusing Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC
    > card to fix the problem?
    >
    > -----------------
    >
    > I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest
    > for 2 seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to
    > logon screen): everything else is
    > working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    >
    > By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the
    > monitor can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password
    > screen...
    >
    > That's on!
    >
    > It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    > harddisk, etc.
    >
    > What is the problem?
    >
    > FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    >
    > 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    >
    > dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    >
    > 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me
    > from going standby now...
    >
    > 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the
    > newest...
    >
    > 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    >
    > 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode
    > to be off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off,
    > but that's another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first,
    > wakeup that's a later issue...)
    >
    > 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    >
    > That's all I've tried...
    >
    > Still not able to go standby fully...
    >
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.
    >
    > And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,
    >
    > it is always woken up after 2 seconds;
    >
    > when the LAN cable is off,
    >
    > it is OK with no problem.
    >
    > So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...
    >
    > "Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able
    > to do Wake-UP-on-Lan
    >
    > later on remotely...
    >
    > Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?

    The correct place to ask this question is Dell tech support for your
    server. The 400SC is a great machine - I'm using one as my desktop now.
    But it was designed as a server and servers don't go into standby.
    Either swap out your NIC or contact Dell tech support for a workaround.
    This is not a Windows issue.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > networm wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.
    >>
    >> I amusing Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC
    >> card to fix the problem?
    >>
    >> -----------------
    >>
    >> I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest
    >> for 2 seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to
    >> logon screen): everything else is
    >> working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    >>
    >> By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the
    >> monitor can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password
    >> screen...
    >>
    >> That's on!
    >>
    >> It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    >> harddisk, etc.
    >>
    >> What is the problem?
    >>
    >> FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    >>
    >> 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    >>
    >> dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    >>
    >> 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me
    >> from going standby now...
    >>
    >> 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the
    >> newest...
    >>
    >> 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    >>
    >> 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode
    >> to be off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off,
    >> but that's another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first,
    >> wakeup that's a later issue...)
    >>
    >> 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    >>
    >> That's all I've tried...
    >>
    >> Still not able to go standby fully...
    >>
    >> What's wrong?
    >>
    >> I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.
    >>
    >> And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,
    >>
    >> it is always woken up after 2 seconds;
    >>
    >> when the LAN cable is off,
    >>
    >> it is OK with no problem.
    >>
    >> So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...
    >>
    >> "Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able
    >> to do Wake-UP-on-Lan
    >>
    >> later on remotely...
    >>
    >> Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?
    >
    > The correct place to ask this question is Dell tech support for your
    > server. The 400SC is a great machine - I'm using one as my desktop now.
    > But it was designed as a server and servers don't go into standby.
    > Either swap out your NIC or contact Dell tech support for a workaround.
    > This is not a Windows issue.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    The NIC is integrated I believe. How to change it? What's Dell tech number?

    networm wrote:

    > The NIC is integrated I believe. How to change it? What's Dell tech
    > number?

    I don't have their phone number, but I'm sure it is on their website:
    http://support.dell.com/

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    If the NIC is integrated, you will need to enter the BIOS, to disable it. You
    might just want to do a Google search for "DELL" and see what their customer
    support site has to offer, they might have current phone support info as
    well..
    j;-j

    "networm" wrote:

    > "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > networm wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.
    > >>
    > >> I amusing Windows XP Pro.
    > >>
    > >> Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC
    > >> card to fix the problem?
    > >>
    > >> -----------------
    > >>
    > >> I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest
    > >> for 2 seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to
    > >> logon screen): everything else is
    > >> working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    > >>
    > >> By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the
    > >> monitor can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password
    > >> screen...
    > >>
    > >> That's on!
    > >>
    > >> It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    > >> harddisk, etc.
    > >>
    > >> What is the problem?
    > >>
    > >> FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    > >>
    > >> 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    > >>
    > >> dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    > >>
    > >> 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me
    > >> from going standby now...
    > >>
    > >> 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the
    > >> newest...
    > >>
    > >> 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    > >>
    > >> 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode
    > >> to be off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off,
    > >> but that's another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first,
    > >> wakeup that's a later issue...)
    > >>
    > >> 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    > >>
    > >> That's all I've tried...
    > >>
    > >> Still not able to go standby fully...
    > >>
    > >> What's wrong?
    > >>
    > >> I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.
    > >>
    > >> And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,
    > >>
    > >> it is always woken up after 2 seconds;
    > >>
    > >> when the LAN cable is off,
    > >>
    > >> it is OK with no problem.
    > >>
    > >> So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...
    > >>
    > >> "Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able
    > >> to do Wake-UP-on-Lan
    > >>
    > >> later on remotely...
    > >>
    > >> Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?
    > >
    > > The correct place to ask this question is Dell tech support for your
    > > server. The 400SC is a great machine - I'm using one as my desktop now.
    > > But it was designed as a server and servers don't go into standby.
    > > Either swap out your NIC or contact Dell tech support for a workaround.
    > > This is not a Windows issue.
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > Elephant Boy Computers
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > "Don't Panic!"
    > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    > The NIC is integrated I believe. How to change it? What's Dell tech number?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "networm" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.
    >
    > I amusing Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC card
    > to fix the problem?
    >
    > -----------------
    >
    > I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest for 2
    > seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to logon screen):
    > everything else is
    > working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    >
    > By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the monitor
    > can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...
    >
    > That's on!
    >
    > It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    > harddisk, etc.
    >
    > What is the problem?
    >
    > FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    >
    > 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    >
    > dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    >
    > 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
    > going standby now...
    >
    > 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...
    >
    > 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    >
    > 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode to be
    > off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but that's
    > another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
    > later issue...)
    >
    > 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    >
    > That's all I've tried...
    >
    > Still not able to go standby fully...
    >
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.
    >
    > And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,
    >
    > it is always woken up after 2 seconds;
    >
    > when the LAN cable is off,
    >
    > it is OK with no problem.
    >
    > So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...
    >
    > "Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able to do
    > Wake-UP-on-Lan
    >
    > later on remotely...
    >
    > Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?

    Actually, if I read your post correctly, everything is working as it should
    be. You have the pc set to wake on lan, so yes it may only sleep for 2
    seconds, depending on if any lan traffic is directed to your ip address. If
    you want it to sleep you will have to turn wake on lan OFF.

    You may have XP set to prompt for password when resuming from standby/sleep.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I need to use Wake-Up-on-Lan funcitonality to remotely wake it up... how can
    I turn it off?

    "tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "networm" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> My dell poweredge 400sc is using Intel Pro 1000MT Network card.
    >>
    >> I amusing Windows XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Here is my sad story. Is there a way that I can avoid changing my NIC
    >> card
    >> to fix the problem?
    >>
    >> -----------------
    >>
    >> I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest for
    >> 2
    >> seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart(reboot to logon
    >> screen):
    >> everything else is
    >> working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    >>
    >> By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the
    >> monitor
    >> can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...
    >>
    >> That's on!
    >>
    >> It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    >> harddisk, etc.
    >>
    >> What is the problem?
    >>
    >> FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    >>
    >> 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    >>
    >> dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    >>
    >> 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
    >> going standby now...
    >>
    >> 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...
    >>
    >> 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    >>
    >> 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode to
    >> be
    >> off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but
    >> that's
    >> another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
    >> later issue...)
    >>
    >> 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    >>
    >> That's all I've tried...
    >>
    >> Still not able to go standby fully...
    >>
    >> What's wrong?
    >>
    >> I began my plug and unplug experiemnts.
    >>
    >> And finally pinpointed out that when the LAN cable is connected,
    >>
    >> it is always woken up after 2 seconds;
    >>
    >> when the LAN cable is off,
    >>
    >> it is OK with no problem.
    >>
    >> So now the problem is the LAN adaptor card...
    >>
    >> "Disconnecting" LAN is not a good choice because I rely on being able to
    >> do
    >> Wake-UP-on-Lan
    >>
    >> later on remotely...
    >>
    >> Where does this mysterious wake-up signal come from?
    >>

    > Actually, if I read your post correctly, everything is working as it
    > should
    > be. You have the pc set to wake on lan, so yes it may only sleep for 2
    > seconds, depending on if any lan traffic is directed to your ip address.
    > If
    > you want it to sleep you will have to turn wake on lan OFF.
    >
    > You may have XP set to prompt for password when resuming from
    > standby/sleep.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi all,

    I am using a Toshiba M4 Tablet PC and it has an nasty problem on its
    standby. Every time I open the lid to resume from standby, it mysteriously
    shutdown.

    I tried to reinstall the OS and make it minimallly loaded in terms
    memory/harddisk/battery... It was good for a while. For quite a few days I
    had only two mysterious shutdown. From this we can see this is a problem
    with XP Tablet PC Version. I looked into the Internet but it seems that
    there is no workaround in this XP version. Everybody seems to complain about
    hibernation/standby problems everywhere.

    At least before yesterday everything was acceptable to me.

    But today I upgrade RAM to 1.5GB. Now these standby problems occur
    frequently. There is a known bug with XP Tablet PC version that it does not
    do well in tablet PCs with 1.5GB RAM...

    There is no workaround...

    But I have to deal with my own problem: mysteriously shutdown.

    Every time when it resumes from standby, it mysteriously shutdown. This
    basically makes "mobility" and "productivity" a far-away dream...

    So I want to ask: how can I intervene the shutdown process and stop it from
    happening? Can I have a computer that never shuts down?

    Thanks a lot!
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    have you tried to set the power options?

    "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am using a Toshiba M4 Tablet PC and it has an nasty problem on its
    > standby. Every time I open the lid to resume from standby, it mysteriously
    > shutdown.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall the OS and make it minimallly loaded in terms
    > memory/harddisk/battery... It was good for a while. For quite a few days
    > I had only two mysterious shutdown. From this we can see this is a problem
    > with XP Tablet PC Version. I looked into the Internet but it seems that
    > there is no workaround in this XP version. Everybody seems to complain
    > about hibernation/standby problems everywhere.
    >
    > At least before yesterday everything was acceptable to me.
    >
    > But today I upgrade RAM to 1.5GB. Now these standby problems occur
    > frequently. There is a known bug with XP Tablet PC version that it does
    > not do well in tablet PCs with 1.5GB RAM...
    >
    > There is no workaround...
    >
    > But I have to deal with my own problem: mysteriously shutdown.
    >
    > Every time when it resumes from standby, it mysteriously shutdown. This
    > basically makes "mobility" and "productivity" a far-away dream...
    >
    > So I want to ask: how can I intervene the shutdown process and stop it
    > from happening? Can I have a computer that never shuts down?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

Network Card Microsoft Windows XP