Replacing System Board - Help!

Hey,

I've got a Chaintech 7VJL Apogee with a KT333 chipset that won't properly
read my new Athlon XP 2700+ (replaced a Palomino 2000+). Only shows up as a
2100+ (133 FSB vs. 166 FSB). Chaintech says they'll fix the mobo, and I
said forget it, I'll buy a new mobo, which is what I did.

So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
installed. Whaddya think?

Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd rather
not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

This is a quick speed boost until I can upgrade to an Athlon64 setup some
time later this year.

Thanks for any info you have,

Bill G

Future setup:
Athlon64 3500+ (socket 939, 90nm)
Thermalright XP 120
Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2x512MB (2-2-2-5 at PC3200)
BFG 6800 GT OC (have, OC'd to 425/1150)
Audigy2 ZS (have)
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras (have)
Logitech MX1000 (have)
Viewsonic p225fb (have)
10 answers Last reply
More about replacing system board help

    > So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
    > chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
    > thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
    > boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
    > all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
    > installed. Whaddya think?
    >
    > Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
    > rather
    > not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

    I've yet to see a repair install work when going from one totally different
    m/b chipset to another. I've tried it on five different occasions, all going
    from a KT variety to a Nforce variety. It's even failed on me going from
    different brands of Nforce2 boards. Save yourself the grief and frustration.
    When doing a major system upgrade like this, you should always do a
    reformat/reinstall. You'll get a stable, functioning system out of it and
    save hours of your time.

    I agree. Doesn't work, sounds promising, but fails. Tried going from a
    celeron to a sempron and it just didn't work.
    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message
    >> So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
    >> chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
    >> thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
    >> boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should
    >> find
    >> all the new components on the system board, but still keep my
    >> applications
    >> installed. Whaddya think?
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
    >> rather
    >> not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.
    >
    > I've yet to see a repair install work when going from one totally
    > different m/b chipset to another. I've tried it on five different
    > occasions, all going from a KT variety to a Nforce variety. It's even
    > failed on me going from different brands of Nforce2 boards. Save yourself
    > the grief and frustration. When doing a major system upgrade like this,
    > you should always do a reformat/reinstall. You'll get a stable,
    > functioning system out of it and save hours of your time.

    Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745

    rms

    rms wrote:
    > Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
    > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745
    >
    > rms

    Sweet, I will be upgrading my system to a 64 bit Nforce3 Platinum mb, and
    3500+ processor.
    I have done a couple of repair installs with no issue that I know of, I may
    give this one a go as well.

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:
    > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=140092574

    Sounds good in theory but fails in practice frequently. I followed this
    guide to the letter one time when doing an upgrade. Still unable to complete
    repair install.

    Augustus wrote:
    >> So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
    >> chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
    >> thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals,
    >> and then boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This
    >> should find all the new components on the system board, but
    >> still keep my applications installed. Whaddya think?
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
    >> rather
    >> not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.
    >
    > I've yet to see a repair install work when going from one totally
    > different m/b chipset to another. I've tried it on five different
    > occasions, all going from a KT variety to a Nforce variety.

    I've had success going from a KT333-single-Duron setup to a AMD762-dual-AXP
    setup with a repair install. No problems at all, though admittedly I was
    starting from a stock-with-chipset-drivers install (as opposed to one with a
    firewall and all sorts of other stuff installed). In case you are wondering
    WHY I was doing such a thing: it seems that WinXP stock install will BSOD if
    you're using a GF2MX200. I have two (one bought, one free :) ), and I tried
    it on a Soltek 75DRV5 and a Asus A7M266-D. In all cases (various
    motherboard/card/BIOS settings) the install BSOD'd in the same spot. I got
    around it by using a PCI card (which only worked in the Soltek, for some
    unknown reason) followed by a repair install once I moved it over. For some
    unknown reason, a repair install will function correctly, even though a
    standard install won't. *shrug*

    Possibly fixable by hacking more recent drivers into the CD or slipstreaming
    one of the service packs, but I never got around to trying that.

    But I do agree that if possible, do a fresh install.

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > Follow this guide and you won't have any troubles:

    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745

    > rms

    Thanks for the link. I did this at it worked just fine. A few hiccups with
    drivers, but after re-installing them, all is well.

    Bill
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    In Windows Device manager,Just delete all the onboard hardware listed there.
    IDE,Chipset cvomponents,onboard audio and video(if any). I've done this twice
    and it worked fine.

    >My
    >> thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
    >> boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
    >> all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
    installed. Whaddya think?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Bill G" <rbatty00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've got a Chaintech 7VJL Apogee with a KT333 chipset that won't properly
    > read my new Athlon XP 2700+ (replaced a Palomino 2000+). Only shows up as
    > 2100+ (133 FSB vs. 166 FSB). Chaintech says they'll fix the mobo, and I
    > said forget it, I'll buy a new mobo, which is what I did.
    >
    > So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
    > chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
    > thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
    > boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
    > all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
    > installed. Whaddya think?
    >
    > Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
    > rather
    > not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.

    Been there, done that! Do a format and re-install from the beginning.
    While it is possible to do a re-install over an old one and install drivers
    for the new board, the results are not reliable. To many BSODs, possibly
    because of driver clashes and I also had lots of apps installed. Even
    repair installs did not fix it. In the end, back-up, format and install
    fixed it.

    Dave
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Dave wrote:
    > "Bill G" <rbatty00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey,
    >>
    >>I've got a Chaintech 7VJL Apogee with a KT333 chipset that won't properly
    >>read my new Athlon XP 2700+ (replaced a Palomino 2000+). Only shows up as
    >>2100+ (133 FSB vs. 166 FSB). Chaintech says they'll fix the mobo, and I
    >>said forget it, I'll buy a new mobo, which is what I did.
    >>
    >>So, I've got this MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR sitting here (nForce2 Ultra 400
    >>chipset), and I'm looking for the easiest way to install/set it up. My
    >>thinking is that I'll install the mobo, and all the peripherals, and then
    >>boot to the Windows XP CD, and start an upgrade install. This should find
    >>all the new components on the system board, but still keep my applications
    >>installed. Whaddya think?
    >>
    >>Anyone have any experiences doing this type of mobo replacement? I'd
    >>rather
    >>not have to do a completely fresh install of XP if I can help it.
    >

    > Been there, done that! Do a format and re-install from the beginning.
    > While it is possible to do a re-install over an old one and install drivers
    > for the new board, the results are not reliable. To many BSODs, possibly
    > because of driver clashes and I also had lots of apps installed. Even
    > repair installs did not fix it. In the end, back-up, format and install
    > fixed it.
    >
    > Dave

    In the past (pre XP) I have had great success w/ booting into Safe Mode,
    deleting ALL the IDE & Motherboard related entries in Device Manager,
    shutting down and installing the new hardware. Upon rebooting windows
    will need a reinstall in some cases but in some others Plug & Play will
    discover most all the basics enough to allow it to reboot in a 'stable'
    configuration.

    (I understand by now the original poster has already solved his problem.)

    TBerk

AMD Windows XP Overclocking