Lost in Space

I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up some
space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase in
reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works and a
virus scan to no avail.

I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a second
HD 120GB.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

John
13 answers Last reply
More about lost space

    See if defrag will run after you purge the Norton System
    Works backups.

    some support

    "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking
    about with video
    | files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried
    to free up some
    | space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no
    apparent increase in
    | reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton
    System works and a
    | virus scan to no avail.
    |
    | I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and
    also have a second
    | HD 120GB.
    |
    | Any advice would be appreciated
    |
    | Regards
    |
    | John

    You have to empty both the regular recycle bin ***AND*** the "Norton
    Protected Recycle Bin" to reclaim the space that was used by the deleted
    files.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up some
    > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase in
    > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works and
    > virus scan to no avail.
    >
    > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    > second
    > HD 120GB.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John

    Do you have System Restore turned on for that drive? What kind of limits
    have you set for it's size on the drive? What is the size of the System
    Volume Information directory on the drive?

    "John" wrote:

    > I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up some
    > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase in
    > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works and a
    > virus scan to no avail.
    >
    > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a second
    > HD 120GB.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John

    Thanks Richard but XP said the file was too big for the recycle bin. I
    think disc clean up takes care of the smaller files.

    Regards

    John

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You have to empty both the regular recycle bin ***AND*** the "Norton
    > Protected Recycle Bin" to reclaim the space that was used by the deleted
    > files.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up
    some
    > > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase
    in
    > > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works
    and
    > > virus scan to no avail.
    > >
    > > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    > > second
    > > HD 120GB.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > John

    I was planning to defrag after deleting the files Jim. I did try it anyway
    but apart from being mighty slow I'm not sure if there is enough free space
    to perform the task.

    Regards

    John

    > See if defrag will run after you purge the Norton System
    > Works backups.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > |I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking
    > about with video
    > | files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried
    > to free up some
    > | space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no
    > apparent increase in
    > | reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton
    > System works and a
    > | virus scan to no avail.
    > |
    > | I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and
    > also have a second
    > | HD 120GB.
    > |
    > | Any advice would be appreciated
    > |
    > | Regards
    > |
    > | John

    Unfortunately, again to free space, I deleted all but the last system
    restore points. I do not know how long ago this problem manifested itself
    and I had not recently installed any new programs. Again no change in the
    free space.

    Regards

    John

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have System Restore turned on for that drive? What kind of limits
    > have you set for it's size on the drive? What is the size of the System
    > Volume Information directory on the drive?
    >
    > "John" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up
    some
    > > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase
    in
    > > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works
    and a
    > > virus scan to no avail.
    > >
    > > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    second
    > > HD 120GB.
    > >
    > > Any advice would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > John

    This defrag product claims to need only 5% free space to function compared to
    Diskeeper's 20%.. Have you tried chkdsk (chkdsk /f) at the cmd prompt to free
    up free space that is being reported as allocated by windows?
    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    j;-j

    "John" wrote:

    > Unfortunately, again to free space, I deleted all but the last system
    > restore points. I do not know how long ago this problem manifested itself
    > and I had not recently installed any new programs. Again no change in the
    > free space.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John
    >
    > "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you have System Restore turned on for that drive? What kind of limits
    > > have you set for it's size on the drive? What is the size of the System
    > > Volume Information directory on the drive?
    > >
    > > "John" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > > > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up
    > some
    > > > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase
    > in
    > > > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works
    > and a
    > > > virus scan to no avail.
    > > >
    > > > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    > second
    > > > HD 120GB.
    > > >
    > > > Any advice would be appreciated
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >
    > > > John

    XP is talking about the XP recycle bin. Norton catches what the regular
    recycle bin does not. Empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

    --

    > Thanks Richard but XP said the file was too big for the recycle bin. I
    > think disc clean up takes care of the smaller files.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> You have to empty both the regular recycle bin ***AND*** the "Norton
    >> Protected Recycle Bin" to reclaim the space that was used by the deleted
    >> files.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    >> > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up
    > some
    >> > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase
    > in
    >> > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works
    > and
    >> > virus scan to no avail.
    >> >
    >> > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    >> > second
    >> > HD 120GB.
    >> >
    >> > Any advice would be appreciated
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > John

    Richard ... You are the man!

    I tried your suggestion last night and sure enough I recovered about 60GB.
    Such a simple solution. Doh! Can't understand why System works did not clean
    this lot out during last scan which is why I did not bother looking there
    before.

    Anyway, a big thank you to you for your help. Very much appreciated.

    Regards

    John

    PS Thanks too to all other posters. I will go for the defrag now.

    > XP is talking about the XP recycle bin. Norton catches what the regular
    > recycle bin does not. Empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Richard but XP said the file was too big for the recycle bin. I
    > > think disc clean up takes care of the smaller files.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > >> You have to empty both the regular recycle bin ***AND*** the "Norton
    > >> Protected Recycle Bin" to reclaim the space that was used by the
    deleted
    > >> files.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> Quote from: George Ankner
    > >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    > >>
    > >> "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > some
    > > in
    > > and

    Norton Protected Recycle Bin is the chance of "last recall".

    Windows XP disk cleanup does not touch it. Indeed, even a cleanup from
    SystemWorks will not touch it. YOU have to make it happen. It is there for
    when you screw up and delete something, empty the recycle bin - and then say
    "oops"!

    There was a fellow who once posted here who wanted to know if he could
    recover something emptied from the Norton bin. I guess he wanted a third,
    and maybe even a fourth, chance to recover from his continual screw ups. (-:

    Some people just shouldn't be allowed to use computers without first passing
    a test!

    --

    > Richard ... You are the man!
    >
    > I tried your suggestion last night and sure enough I recovered about 60GB.
    > Such a simple solution. Doh! Can't understand why System works did not
    > clean
    > this lot out during last scan which is why I did not bother looking there
    > before.
    >
    > Anyway, a big thank you to you for your help. Very much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John
    >
    > PS Thanks too to all other posters. I will go for the defrag now.
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> XP is talking about the XP recycle bin. Norton catches what the regular
    >> recycle bin does not. Empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Richard but XP said the file was too big for the recycle bin. I
    >> > think disc clean up takes care of the smaller files.
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > John
    >> >
    >> > "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> > message
    > deleted

    > video
    >> > some
    > increase
    >> > in
    >> > and

    Force that type of user to carve documents in stone tablets I say! <VBG>

    Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
    > Norton Protected Recycle Bin is the chance of "last recall".
    >
    > Windows XP disk cleanup does not touch it. Indeed, even a cleanup from
    > SystemWorks will not touch it. YOU have to make it happen. It is there for
    > when you screw up and delete something, empty the recycle bin - and then say
    > "oops"!
    >
    > There was a fellow who once posted here who wanted to know if he could
    > recover something emptied from the Norton bin. I guess he wanted a third,
    > and maybe even a fourth, chance to recover from his continual screw ups. (-:
    >
    > Some people just shouldn't be allowed to use computers without first passing
    > a test!

    John, why don't you transfer some of the bigger files to the partitioned
    drive since it is large, you need at least 1GB free space to perform a
    defrag

    "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This defrag product claims to need only 5% free space to function compared
    > Diskeeper's 20%.. Have you tried chkdsk (chkdsk /f) at the cmd prompt to
    > free
    > up free space that is being reported as allocated by windows?
    > http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/
    > j;-j
    >
    > "John" wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, again to free space, I deleted all but the last system
    >> restore points. I do not know how long ago this problem manifested itself
    >> and I had not recently installed any new programs. Again no change in the
    >> free space.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Do you have System Restore turned on for that drive? What kind of
    >> > limits
    >> > have you set for it's size on the drive? What is the size of the
    >> > System
    >> > Volume Information directory on the drive?

    >> some
    >> in
    >> and a

    >> second

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can also download CCleaner to find any extra junk that is residing on
    that system partition. This is a very safe product to use.
    http://www.ccleaner.com

    "John" <JohnClarry@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 300GB HD which got quite full as I was mucking about with video
    > files. Explorer tells me there is 6GB free. I have tried to free up some
    > space by deleting some unneeded files but there is no apparent increase in
    > reported free space. I have run Disk cleanup and Norton System works and
    > virus scan to no avail.
    >
    > I am running XPSP2 on a 30GB partition of this drive and also have a
    > second
    > HD 120GB.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated
    >
    > Regards