Windows XP stops booting SATA hdd

I'm posed with a problem I can't find a solution for:
My pc runs on both an IDE and a SATA hdd (the sata hd is just for storage).
Recently I've tried to backup a another hd on the sata hd. Shortly
after,windows xp started giving me errors that the sata hdd contained
errors (eg: folder "blabla" contains errors, use chkdsk to correct the
problem). I didn't have time to adress the problem, and turned the pc off,
with intent of fixing the problem today. When I tried to boot today,
windows xp kept rebooting! When I unplugged the sata hdd, everything booted
normally. Problem is, I can't run chkdisk on the sata hdd since it isn't
plugged in...is there any way to boot from a disk that would allow me to
run the checkdisk on the sata hdd, and save my data?

Thanks ALOT in advance, I'm totally stuck here

Jonas

Jonas Lefevere wrote:

> I'm posed with a problem I can't find a solution for:
> My pc runs on both an IDE and a SATA hdd (the sata hd is just for storage).
> Recently I've tried to backup a another hd on the sata hd. Shortly
> after,windows xp started giving me errors that the sata hdd contained
> errors (eg: folder "blabla" contains errors, use chkdsk to correct the
> problem). I didn't have time to adress the problem, and turned the pc off,
> with intent of fixing the problem today. When I tried to boot today,
> windows xp kept rebooting! When I unplugged the sata hdd, everything booted
> normally. Problem is, I can't run chkdisk on the sata hdd since it isn't
> plugged in...is there any way to boot from a disk that would allow me to
> run the checkdisk on the sata hdd, and save my data?
>
> Thanks ALOT in advance, I'm totally stuck here

The SATA hard drive might have actually crashed and there
isn't a whole lot that one can do about that situation. To
check the SATA HD, remove it and install it into another
computer with SATA capabilities. If the HD fails to start
or be read, then the HD crash is confirmed.

One should both heed the error messages and always backup
important material to a minimum of 2 different media and/or
locations.

I thought SATA drives could be plugged in while the computer was running
using the SATA connector? If the molex 4 pin connector is being used or.. If
a RAID 0 striped array is being used I don't think you will be able to,
though..
You might just be able to plug the drive in after your in windows and test
it that way...

j:-|

"Jonas Lefevere" wrote:

> I'm posed with a problem I can't find a solution for:
> My pc runs on both an IDE and a SATA hdd (the sata hd is just for storage).
> Recently I've tried to backup a another hd on the sata hd. Shortly
> after,windows xp started giving me errors that the sata hdd contained
> errors (eg: folder "blabla" contains errors, use chkdsk to correct the
> problem). I didn't have time to adress the problem, and turned the pc off,
> with intent of fixing the problem today. When I tried to boot today,
> windows xp kept rebooting! When I unplugged the sata hdd, everything booted
> normally. Problem is, I can't run chkdisk on the sata hdd since it isn't
> plugged in...is there any way to boot from a disk that would allow me to
> run the checkdisk on the sata hdd, and save my data?
>
> Thanks ALOT in advance, I'm totally stuck here
>
> Jonas

Tim

The SATA standard has this "in mind". It is up to drivers and OS to support
it.

Historically, I have always found Windows quite tolerant of HDD
disconnections at run time. EG I have had power cables wiggle out with both
IDE and SCSI drives, Windows has popped up an error and pushing the cables
back in has saved things. SATA appears about the same, but I would not rely
on it unless the manufacturer of the controller says that it and the drivers
DO support Hot Swap. Unplugging a drive when in use is bound to cause disc
corruptions.

I would contemplate downloading the drive diagnostic utilities from the
drive manufacturer. For example Seagate has Seatools (3 variations) of which
one download goes on a Floppy which you boot off to test the drive. The
tests are AFAIK non-destructive.

- Tim

"Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I thought SATA drives could be plugged in while the computer was running
> using the SATA connector? If the molex 4 pin connector is being used or..
> If
> a RAID 0 striped array is being used I don't think you will be able to,
> though..
> You might just be able to plug the drive in after your in windows and test
> it that way...
>
> j:-|
>
> "Jonas Lefevere" wrote:
>
>> I'm posed with a problem I can't find a solution for:
>> My pc runs on both an IDE and a SATA hdd (the sata hd is just for
>> storage).
>> Recently I've tried to backup a another hd on the sata hd. Shortly
>> after,windows xp started giving me errors that the sata hdd contained
>> errors (eg: folder "blabla" contains errors, use chkdsk to correct the
>> problem). I didn't have time to adress the problem, and turned the pc
>> off,
>> with intent of fixing the problem today. When I tried to boot today,
>> windows xp kept rebooting! When I unplugged the sata hdd, everything
>> booted
>> normally. Problem is, I can't run chkdisk on the sata hdd since it isn't
>> plugged in...is there any way to boot from a disk that would allow me to
>> run the checkdisk on the sata hdd, and save my data?
>>
>> Thanks ALOT in advance, I'm totally stuck here
>>
>> Jonas

Unplugging a running drive can be a problem, because the computer could be
writing to it,. But plugging it into a running computer is less risky, and
SATA connectors are made to be hot-swappable. IDE would be iffy, but I use
USB-IDE connectors for that.

First thing I'd try is booting the computer and plugging the drive in
afterward.

If it makes you (the OP, that is) squeamish, take it to a local shop and
have them check it out.