Win XP Home SP 1 Dell inspiron I5100 2.66G 512 M BCM V.92 56K Modem

Thank you for taking a moment to help me ... I think this question should be
an easy one .. :)

While online, dial-up, the modem or connection goes offline. Then in an
attempt to re-connect, I get the error that the port is in use .. this never
goes away, regardless of how many times I try or periods of 'wait' I provide.

Windows Troubleshooter wanted me to check the settings for PORTS under
Device Manager, but I do not have such a setting there.

How do I reset that port without having to restart the machine, or can I?

If I cannot, what are the likley causes of this so I can try to fix and or
prevent it?

Thank you.

Don
AizA
Tucson, AZ

Sounds like the modem configuration is/was not set up to "reset" when
the CD drops. You should be able to get the Dell tech support to help
you set it correctly.