XP 3500 socket 939 high cpu temps?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I just completed upgrading to an Athlon 3500 90nm winchester core, with an
MSI Neo2 Platinum mb this past weekend.

I got the oem processor, along with a Thermalrite XP90 heatsink, with a 80mm
( i think) fan.
I used Arctic Silver 3.

My cpu temp as reported by corecenter, and in the bios, idles around 46-48C,
and gets into low 50's under load. System temp is 25C.
This is the first time in my many system upgrades that I have had a heat
problem. My Athlon XP 2800+, overclocked to 3200+, idled around 36c and
only got to app 42c under load. I have also noticed even at idle, the temp
can vary 3-5 degrees C very quickly, which I find unusual.

I am concerned about these temps. I am not overclocking the system yet,
running all at stock ( 11x200). My case cooling is good, I have it in a
Lian Li pc-75 full tower case, which came equipped with 2 cooling fans in
front, and two in back. At this time, I do not have Cool N Quite enabled.
My cpu fan is turning at 3800 rpm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

Don Burnette wrote:
> I just completed upgrading to an Athlon 3500 90nm winchester core,
with an
> MSI Neo2 Platinum mb this past weekend.
>
> I got the oem processor, along with a Thermalrite XP90 heatsink, with
a 80mm
> ( i think) fan.
> I used Arctic Silver 3.
>
> My cpu temp as reported by corecenter, and in the bios, idles around
46-48C,
> and gets into low 50's under load. System temp is 25C.
> This is the first time in my many system upgrades that I have had a
heat
> problem. My Athlon XP 2800+, overclocked to 3200+, idled around 36c
and
> only got to app 42c under load. I have also noticed even at idle, the
temp
> can vary 3-5 degrees C very quickly, which I find unusual.
>
> I am concerned about these temps. I am not overclocking the system
yet,
> running all at stock ( 11x200). My case cooling is good, I have it
in a
> Lian Li pc-75 full tower case, which came equipped with 2 cooling
fans in
> front, and two in back. At this time, I do not have Cool N Quite
enabled.
> My cpu fan is turning at 3800 rpm.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
the way
> of the man that's doing it."

Core Center except for the latest version is not accurate. The lastest
version on the MSI website also will read high CPU temps but will give
a better reading after a warm reboot. If your system temp is 25 I would
suspect that your load CPU temp is in the high 30's or lower 40's. At
this time my temps are 35-39 with stock cooling with both Core Center
and MBM.

s_roger@comcast.net wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> I just completed upgrading to an Athlon 3500 90nm winchester core,
>> with an MSI Neo2 Platinum mb this past weekend.
>>
>> I got the oem processor, along with a Thermalrite XP90 heatsink,
>> with a 80mm ( i think) fan.
>> I used Arctic Silver 3.
>>
>> My cpu temp as reported by corecenter, and in the bios, idles around
>> 46-48C, and gets into low 50's under load. System temp is 25C.
>> This is the first time in my many system upgrades that I have had a
>> heat problem. My Athlon XP 2800+, overclocked to 3200+, idled
>> around 36c and only got to app 42c under load. I have also noticed
>> even at idle, the temp can vary 3-5 degrees C very quickly, which I
>> find unusual.
>>
>> I am concerned about these temps. I am not overclocking the system
>> yet, running all at stock ( 11x200). My case cooling is good, I
>> have it in a Lian Li pc-75 full tower case, which came equipped with
>> 2 cooling fans in front, and two in back. At this time, I do not
>> have Cool N Quite enabled. My cpu fan is turning at 3800 rpm.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>
> Core Center except for the latest version is not accurate. The lastest
> version on the MSI website also will read high CPU temps but will give
> a better reading after a warm reboot. If your system temp is 25 I
> would suspect that your load CPU temp is in the high 30's or lower
> 40's. At this time my temps are 35-39 with stock cooling with both
> Core Center and MBM.

Thanks, I will try out the latest version. I booted up just now after
getting home, and it immediately showed 45C - I know that can't be right
from a cold boot up.

I tried installing MBM yesterday and kept getting an error message, I
figured maybe it did not work with this mb, will try again as I prefer it.

Thanks,

--

s_roger@comcast.net wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> I just completed upgrading to an Athlon 3500 90nm winchester core,
>> with an MSI Neo2 Platinum mb this past weekend.
>>
>> I got the oem processor, along with a Thermalrite XP90 heatsink,
>> with a 80mm ( i think) fan.
>> I used Arctic Silver 3.
>>
>> My cpu temp as reported by corecenter, and in the bios, idles around
>> 46-48C, and gets into low 50's under load. System temp is 25C.
>> This is the first time in my many system upgrades that I have had a
>> heat problem. My Athlon XP 2800+, overclocked to 3200+, idled
>> around 36c and only got to app 42c under load. I have also noticed
>> even at idle, the temp can vary 3-5 degrees C very quickly, which I
>> find unusual.
>>
>> I am concerned about these temps. I am not overclocking the system
>> yet, running all at stock ( 11x200). My case cooling is good, I
>> have it in a Lian Li pc-75 full tower case, which came equipped with
>> 2 cooling fans in front, and two in back. At this time, I do not
>> have Cool N Quite enabled. My cpu fan is turning at 3800 rpm.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>
> Core Center except for the latest version is not accurate. The lastest
> version on the MSI website also will read high CPU temps but will give
> a better reading after a warm reboot. If your system temp is 25 I
> would suspect that your load CPU temp is in the high 30's or lower
> 40's. At this time my temps are 35-39 with stock cooling with both
> Core Center and MBM.

You were dead on!
Just installed the latest version of core center, and my temp dropped
immediately by about 8c, I also successfully installed MBM and it is
reporting about the same. High 30's at idle. I am sure load will be low
40's.

I was worried for nothing. I will also get a little better fan than this
cheapo I have on this great heatsink, and I am sure it will help as well.

Thanks!

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Might take a day or two for the AS to settle.
It's not a heat problem until you start have softwate lockups etc.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:22:01 -0600, Don Burnette wrote:

> I tried installing MBM yesterday and kept getting an error message, I
> figured maybe it did not work with this mb, will try again as I prefer it.
>
> Thanks,

Check the temp readings in the BIOS to make sure that they agree with the
temperatures reported by MBM. If there is a disagreement I'd trust the
BIOS readings over the MBM ones.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Don Burnette wrote:
[...]
> Just installed the latest version of core center, and my temp dropped
> immediately by about 8c,

This is why the absolute value given by motherboard temperature monitors are
useless. The reading you get depends much more on things like BIOS revision,
monitoring program, board variations, etc than actual CPU temperature.
*Relative* readings are useful (keep everything the same but change fans,
does it get hotter or colder?) but absolute readings don't mean much ("nyeh
nyeh my setup runs cooler than yours nyeh nyeh" - yeah, right). If it's
stable (Prime95) and not overvolted significantly, then it's not getting hot
enough to be damaged so there's nothing to worry about.

Of course, if you are doing serious overvolting and/or subzero cooling, then
things change, but if you're that serious about things then you a) know what
you're doing and b) know that there is an signficant chance that you will
damage/kill your CPU and are not worried by this.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

Michael Brown wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
> [...]
>> Just installed the latest version of core center, and my temp dropped
>> immediately by about 8c,
>
> This is why the absolute value given by motherboard temperature
> monitors are useless. The reading you get depends much more on things
> like BIOS revision, monitoring program, board variations, etc than
> actual CPU temperature. *Relative* readings are useful (keep
> everything the same but change fans, does it get hotter or colder?)
> but absolute readings don't mean much ("nyeh nyeh my setup runs
> cooler than yours nyeh nyeh" - yeah, right). If it's stable (Prime95)
> and not overvolted significantly, then it's not getting hot enough to
> be damaged so there's nothing to worry about.
> Of course, if you are doing serious overvolting and/or subzero
> cooling, then things change, but if you're that serious about things
> then you a) know what you're doing and b) know that there is an
> signficant chance that you will damage/kill your CPU and are not
> worried by this.
> [...]

I agree. I always overclock my systems, and had not started so yet on this
one due to the temps being reported. However, I will say, I must have not
had the heatsink mounted on good, or the arctic silver 3 not on properly, as
I was experiencing overheating when I first assembled. This is about the 5th
build for me, and first time I had this problem. I even changed to the
thermal paste provided with the XP90 Thermalrite, yuk - stuff was like glue,
bent some cpu pins when trying to remove the heatsink - the gluish effect
probably because of the heat.

Cleaned everything off, carefully applied a thin layer of arctic silver 3,
and carefully mounted and matched the XP90 to the cpu. Much better!

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:01:21 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Michael Brown wrote:
>> Don Burnette wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Just installed the latest version of core center, and my temp dropped
>>> immediately by about 8c,
>>
>> This is why the absolute value given by motherboard temperature
>> monitors are useless. The reading you get depends much more on things
>> like BIOS revision, monitoring program, board variations, etc than
>> actual CPU temperature. *Relative* readings are useful (keep
>> everything the same but change fans, does it get hotter or colder?)
>> but absolute readings don't mean much ("nyeh nyeh my setup runs
>> cooler than yours nyeh nyeh" - yeah, right). If it's stable (Prime95)
>> and not overvolted significantly, then it's not getting hot enough to
>> be damaged so there's nothing to worry about.
>> Of course, if you are doing serious overvolting and/or subzero
>> cooling, then things change, but if you're that serious about things
>> then you a) know what you're doing and b) know that there is an
>> signficant chance that you will damage/kill your CPU and are not
>> worried by this.
>> [...]
>

>I agree. I always overclock my systems, and had not started so yet on this
>one due to the temps being reported. However, I will say, I must have not
>had the heatsink mounted on good, or the arctic silver 3 not on properly, as
>I was experiencing overheating when I first assembled. This is about the 5th
>build for me, and first time I had this problem. I even changed to the
>thermal paste provided with the XP90 Thermalrite, yuk - stuff was like glue,
>bent some cpu pins when trying to remove the heatsink - the gluish effect
>probably because of the heat.
>
>Cleaned everything off, carefully applied a thin layer of arctic silver 3,
>and carefully mounted and matched the XP90 to the cpu. Much better!

fwiw, I got the best temps by putting no more then about 3/4 of a BB's
worth of paste right in the center of the CPU, then put the heatsink on
and lock it down. The temps were higher when I spread the paste out over
the whole top of the CPU. (2 - MSI /Clawhammer systems)

Ed

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> fwiw, I got the best temps by putting no more then about 3/4 of a BB's
> worth of paste right in the center of the CPU, then put the heatsink on
> and lock it down. The temps were higher when I spread the paste out over
> the whole top of the CPU. (2 - MSI /Clawhammer systems)
>
> Ed

How much higher, Ed?

I can see that you could get a thinner layer of AS if you use the "3/4 of a
bb" method. But how much difference did it make?

Chip

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:19:58 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> Check the temp readings in the BIOS to make sure that they agree with the
> temperatures reported by MBM. If there is a disagreement I'd trust the
> BIOS readings over the MBM ones.

You can't compare those as the bios puts a load on the cpu and should read
higher than an idle OS reading. There's about 6C difference in mine and I
can see it rise in the bios if I exit the os fast and go straight to bios
readings.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:28:41 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> fwiw, I got the best temps by putting no more then about 3/4 of a BB's
>> worth of paste right in the center of the CPU, then put the heatsink on
>> and lock it down. The temps were higher when I spread the paste out over
>> the whole top of the CPU. (2 - MSI /Clawhammer systems)
>>
>> Ed
>
>How much higher, Ed?
>
>I can see that you could get a thinner layer of AS if you use the "3/4 of a
>bb" method. But how much difference did it make?
>
>Chip

Well the one PC (3000+ clawhammer OC'd 200MHz) die temp dropped about
10C running Prime95 max heat test, the other PC (claw 3400+ no OCing)
dropped about 5C.

One CPU got ripped right out of the socket when I went to re-do the
paste (paste was spread over whole top), it's still working though. ;p

Ed

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:27:55 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:19:58 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>
>> Check the temp readings in the BIOS to make sure that they agree with the
>> temperatures reported by MBM. If there is a disagreement I'd trust the
>> BIOS readings over the MBM ones.
>
>You can't compare those as the bios puts a load on the cpu and should read
>higher than an idle OS reading. There's about 6C difference in mine and I
>can see it rise in the bios if I exit the os fast and go straight to bios
>readings.

I did some PC wattage testing for BIOS, Windows, etc,etc... if anyone is
interested in looking at.

http://tinyurl.com/6ea3k

Cheers,
Ed

Ed wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:28:41 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>

>> "Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> fwiw, I got the best temps by putting no more then about 3/4 of a
>>> BB's worth of paste right in the center of the CPU, then put the
>>> heatsink on and lock it down. The temps were higher when I spread
>>> the paste out over the whole top of the CPU. (2 - MSI /Clawhammer
>>> systems)
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> How much higher, Ed?
>>
>> I can see that you could get a thinner layer of AS if you use the
>> "3/4 of a bb" method. But how much difference did it make?
>>
>> Chip
>>

> Well the one PC (3000+ clawhammer OC'd 200MHz) die temp dropped about
> 10C running Prime95 max heat test, the other PC (claw 3400+ no OCing)
> dropped about 5C.
>
> One CPU got ripped right out of the socket when I went to re-do the
> paste (paste was spread over whole top), it's still working though. ;p
>
> Ed

Funny you mention that. I first used the Arctic Silver3, and spread a layer
across the chip's surface. When my temps were going through the roof, I
cleaned it off and tried the paste. When that didn't work, I pulled my cpu
out of the socket as well - stuff was like glue. It bent some pins on my 939
processor, and had to carefully bend back to get the cpu to drop in the
socket again. Luckily, seems to be fine. I used a thin smooth layer across
the surface. I still think my temps could be better, I may try the bb trick
to see if that is better.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:33:57 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:28:41 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> How much higher, Ed?
>>>
>>> I can see that you could get a thinner layer of AS if you use the
>>> "3/4 of a bb" method. But how much difference did it make?
>>>
>>> Chip
>>>

>> Well the one PC (3000+ clawhammer OC'd 200MHz) die temp dropped about
>> 10C running Prime95 max heat test, the other PC (claw 3400+ no OCing)
>> dropped about 5C.
>>
>> One CPU got ripped right out of the socket when I went to re-do the
>> paste (paste was spread over whole top), it's still working though. ;p
>>
>> Ed
>

>Funny you mention that. I first used the Arctic Silver3, and spread a layer
>across the chip's surface. When my temps were going through the roof, I
>cleaned it off and tried the paste. When that didn't work, I pulled my cpu
>out of the socket as well - stuff was like glue. It bent some pins on my 939
>processor, and had to carefully bend back to get the cpu to drop in the
>socket again. Luckily, seems to be fine. I used a thin smooth layer across
>the surface. I still think my temps could be better, I may try the bb trick
>to see if that is better.

Ya same here... was like glue! I could tell the heatsink wasn't coming
off easy enough, so as a last resort I just lifted the HS straight up
off the board and the CPU was stuck to the bottom of it, didn't bend any
pins, I think maybe AMD could of made the whole design better, but in
AMD's defense I did take a AMD retail HS off one system after 3 months
and it came right off no problem, paste looked sort of like AS3 to me.

Good luck with the temps, but if it doesn't lock up or crash under heavy
loads I wouldn't worry about it, all of my AMDs since the K5 have been
used and abused, they all retired before they ever burned up. ;p

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

With the "new" Core Center do a warm reboot and your CPU temps will
probably be lower yet.

Dee

s_roger@comcast.net wrote:

> With the "new" Core Center do a warm reboot and your CPU temps will
> probably be lower yet.

I'm not sure your suggestion is logical!

My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning or
I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest version of
CoreCenter!

Dee wrote:
> s_roger@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> With the "new" Core Center do a warm reboot and your CPU temps will
>> probably be lower yet.
>>

> I'm not sure your suggestion is logical!
>
> My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning
> or I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest
> version of CoreCenter!

%$@#, heck, by the time my system boots up and windows is completely
loaded, mine cpu temp is already around 40c.

This Thermalrite XP90 is a beautiful heatsink, and somewhat expensive ..
just feel like my temps should be lower.

--

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Dee wrote:
>> s_roger@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>> With the "new" Core Center do a warm reboot and your CPU temps will
>>> probably be lower yet.
>>>

>> I'm not sure your suggestion is logical!
>>
>> My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning
>> or I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest
>> version of CoreCenter!
>

> %$@#, heck, by the time my system boots up and windows is completely
> loaded, mine cpu temp is already around 40c.

Don't worry about it. There's no way his 27C is real. 40C is typical for
Winchester CPU's in your motherboard.

Chip

Don Burnette wrote:
> Dee wrote:
[...]
>> My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning
>> or I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest
>> version of CoreCenter!
>

> %$@#, heck, by the time my system boots up and windows is completely
> loaded, mine cpu temp is already around 40c.

See my post earlier in this thread. Him @27 vs you @40 means nothing. There
is even a reasonable chance that your CPU is actually running cooler than
his.

[...]

--

Chip wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Dee wrote:

>>> I'm not sure your suggestion is logical!
>>>
>>> My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning
>>> or I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest
>>> version of CoreCenter!
>>

>> %$@#, heck, by the time my system boots up and windows is completely
>> loaded, mine cpu temp is already around 40c.
>
> Don't worry about it. There's no way his 27C is real. 40C is
> typical for Winchester CPU's in your motherboard.
>
> Chip

Thanks.

Another guy posted in another forum, with the mb I have now, the temp is
read differently than from what I had before. I feel better about it now.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> Dee wrote:
> [...]
>>> My temp reads around 27 C or 28 C whether I cold boot in the morning
>>> or I warm boot sometime during the day. And I have the latest
>>> version of CoreCenter!
>>

>> %$@#, heck, by the time my system boots up and windows is completely
>> loaded, mine cpu temp is already around 40c.
>
> See my post earlier in this thread. Him @27 vs you @40 means nothing.
> There is even a reasonable chance that your CPU is actually running cooler
> than his.

Maybe you would like to check out this link:-

Maybe using MBM/MBProbe, they both have adjustment, you can make those temps
meaningful!

Can't hurt to try. ;-)

Dave

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:49:56 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>I will also add, that not only that, with core center open, it registered my
>fsb fluctuating significantly. I have it set at 205, and it would fluctuate
>up to 220-225 when under load. Very strange.

Isn't that what Dynamic Overclocking in the BIOS does, changes the FSB
on the fly? You have it on?

Ed wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:49:56 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I will also add, that not only that, with core center open, it
>> registered my fsb fluctuating significantly. I have it set at 205,
>> and it would fluctuate up to 220-225 when under load. Very strange.
>
> Isn't that what Dynamic Overclocking in the BIOS does, changes the FSB
> on the fly? You have it on?

No, it was off. I had it on manual, with fsb at 205.

I went ahead and took off the heatsink, and cleaned it along with the cpu
surface well.
I applied a very small bead of arctic silver 3 to the cpu, and spread it
very thin. I then did a tiny thin layer on the heatsink surface, and
remounted. I then loaded optimized defaults in the mb bios.

So far, my cpu temp is staying right at 40c, just ran 3dmark03 and cpu temp
only got to 41c. I will stress test it later with prime95. Looking much
better though, before it was climbing to 50c and higher shortly after
booting into windows with no load.

I am a little suprised my 3d mark 03 score was not better, getting around
6900, if I recall that was close to what I was getting with my Nforce2 XP
2800+ system. I guess the 9800 Pro would be the bottleneck now.

Keeping fingers crossed temps don't start to climb again. Sure am glad it
shuts itself down when it gets too hot :).

Thanks,