ArcadeOS / ArcadeVGA Resolution Question.

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to MAME and am trying to get the bugs worked out of my
first cabinet. I am currently running ArcadeOS 2.52 in pure MS-DOS
6.22 with an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card. I am using an Ultimarc J-Pac as
my interface.

I finally got everything up and running but I am having resolution
issues. I want to run 1943: The Battle of Midway but the games native
resolution is 224x256 and the closest I can get to it in ArcadeOS is
240x256. This causes the game to get cut off at the top and the bottom
of the screen. I don't want to physically adjust the monitor because
that will affect other games with more standard resolutions.

Do any of you know of a way around this? This must be a simple fix
that has been dealt with before but I just cant think of a way around
it.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! Ryan

<kinetic53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am a newbie to MAME and am trying to get the bugs worked out of my
> first cabinet. I am currently running ArcadeOS 2.52 in pure MS-DOS
> 6.22 with an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card. I am using an Ultimarc J-Pac as
> my interface.
>
> I finally got everything up and running but I am having resolution
> issues. I want to run 1943: The Battle of Midway but the games native
> resolution is 224x256 and the closest I can get to it in ArcadeOS is
> 240x256. This causes the game to get cut off at the top and the bottom
> of the screen. I don't want to physically adjust the monitor because
> that will affect other games with more standard resolutions.
>
> Do any of you know of a way around this? This must be a simple fix
> that has been dealt with before but I just cant think of a way around
> it.
>
> Thanks for any and all suggestions! Ryan

What is ArcadeOS? Sorry if this is a newb question but I really never seen a
description of it. Is it an OS in itself or is it a program you run on DOS?

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:58:45 GMT, "Anonymous"
<send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

><kinetic53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am a newbie to MAME and am trying to get the bugs worked out of my
>> first cabinet. I am currently running ArcadeOS 2.52 in pure MS-DOS
>> 6.22 with an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card. I am using an Ultimarc J-Pac as
>> my interface.
>>
>> I finally got everything up and running but I am having resolution
>> issues. I want to run 1943: The Battle of Midway but the games native
>> resolution is 224x256 and the closest I can get to it in ArcadeOS is
>> 240x256. This causes the game to get cut off at the top and the bottom
>> of the screen. I don't want to physically adjust the monitor because
>> that will affect other games with more standard resolutions.
>>
>> Do any of you know of a way around this? This must be a simple fix
>> that has been dealt with before but I just cant think of a way around
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks for any and all suggestions! Ryan
>>

>What is ArcadeOS? Sorry if this is a newb question but I really never seen a
>description of it. Is it an OS in itself or is it a program you run on DOS?

It's a front end for MAME and other emulators. I have it on my cab,
and after getting it set up, I'm fairly pleased with it. My situation
was easy, though, because I wimped out and used a 21" computer
monitor. Works for me.

So, I guess the question to Ryan, the OP, is what monitor are you
using?

IIRC, others using real arcade monitors seem to like AdvanceMAME
and/or AdvanceEmu, but that's a whole other can of worms that I, once
again, know nothing about.

Sune should be able to nail this one once a description of the monitor
is given.

HTH!

--
Rick

I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
(John Lennon)

Thanks for the reply Rick.

The arcade monitor I am using is a Wells Gardner 19" 19K7602.
Suggestions? Would AdvanceMAME and/or AdvanceEmu be a better way to go
for my situation?

Thanks again, Ryan

Rutger6559 wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:58:45 GMT, "Anonymous"
> <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

> ><kinetic53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >> I am a newbie to MAME and am trying to get the bugs worked out of
my
> >> first cabinet. I am currently running ArcadeOS 2.52 in pure
MS-DOS
> >> 6.22 with an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card. I am using an Ultimarc
J-Pac as
> >> my interface.
> >>
> >> I finally got everything up and running but I am having resolution
> >> issues. I want to run 1943: The Battle of Midway but the games
native
> >> resolution is 224x256 and the closest I can get to it in ArcadeOS
is
> >> 240x256. This causes the game to get cut off at the top and the
bottom
> >> of the screen. I don't want to physically adjust the monitor
because
> >> that will affect other games with more standard resolutions.
> >>
> >> Do any of you know of a way around this? This must be a simple
fix
> >> that has been dealt with before but I just cant think of a way
around
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any and all suggestions! Ryan
> >>

> >What is ArcadeOS? Sorry if this is a newb question but I really
never seen a
> >description of it. Is it an OS in itself or is it a program you run
on DOS?

> It's a front end for MAME and other emulators. I have it on my cab,
> and after getting it set up, I'm fairly pleased with it. My
situation
> was easy, though, because I wimped out and used a 21" computer
> monitor. Works for me.
>
> So, I guess the question to Ryan, the OP, is what monitor are you
> using?
>
> IIRC, others using real arcade monitors seem to like AdvanceMAME
> and/or AdvanceEmu, but that's a whole other can of worms that I, once
> again, know nothing about.
>
> Sune should be able to nail this one once a description of the
monitor
> is given.
>
> HTH!
>

> --
> Rick
>
> I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
> and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
> (John Lennon)

Awesome! Thanks Bulla. I will post my question at arcadecontrols and
take a look at mamewah.. looks pretty sweet.

Ryan

Doh! It looks like mamewah is Win based. I need a DOS solution.

> Thanks for the reply Rick.
>
> The arcade monitor I am using is a Wells Gardner 19" 19K7602.
> Suggestions? Would AdvanceMAME and/or AdvanceEmu be a better way to go
> for my situation?
>
> Thanks again, Ryan
>

> Rutger6559 wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:58:45 GMT, "Anonymous"
>> <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>

>> ><kinetic53@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> my
> MS-DOS
> J-Pac as

> native
> is
> bottom
> because

> fix
> around

>> >What is ArcadeOS? Sorry if this is a newb question but I really
> never seen a
>> >description of it. Is it an OS in itself or is it a program you run
> on DOS?
>>
>> It's a front end for MAME and other emulators. I have it on my cab,
>> and after getting it set up, I'm fairly pleased with it. My
> situation
>> was easy, though, because I wimped out and used a 21" computer
>> monitor. Works for me.
>>
>> So, I guess the question to Ryan, the OP, is what monitor are you
>> using?
>>
>> IIRC, others using real arcade monitors seem to like AdvanceMAME
>> and/or AdvanceEmu, but that's a whole other can of worms that I, once
>> again, know nothing about.
>>
>> Sune should be able to nail this one once a description of the
> monitor
>> is given.
>>
>> HTH!
>>

>> --
>> Rick
>>
>> I'd like to say "Thank you" on behalf of the group
>> and ourselves and I hope we passed the audition!
>> (John Lennon)

If your using an Arcade VGA on a WG, you might be better of using mamewah
and the arcade res tool to generate your resolutions.

Oh and you'll find a lot more help on the msg boards at
www.arcadecontrols.com including the authors of alot of the software.

Bulla

On 16 May 2005 14:52:28 -0700, kinetic53@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am a newbie to MAME and am trying to get the bugs worked out of my
>first cabinet. I am currently running ArcadeOS 2.52 in pure MS-DOS
>6.22 with an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card. I am using an Ultimarc J-Pac as
>my interface.

I'll just assume you're using the standard dos version of MAME.
ArcadeOS is just a frontend, it doesn't emulate anything.

>I finally got everything up and running but I am having resolution
>issues. I want to run 1943: The Battle of Midway but the games native
>resolution is 224x256...

Wrong! This game runs at 256x224 (HxV), just because it's a verticaly
oriented games doesn't mean you swap around the axis.

>...and the closest I can get to it in ArcadeOS is
>240x256. This causes the game to get cut off at the top and the bottom
>of the screen. I don't want to physically adjust the monitor because
>that will affect other games with more standard resolutions.

I believe that the root of your problem is that you are using an
ArcadeVGA video card. These cards support a fixed set of resolutions
(there's a list of them published on Ultimarc's website). If the
game's native resoultion doesn't match one of the defined resolutions,
what happens? I suppose it just jumps to the nearest one. That's just
a guess though, I've never owned one of these cards.

>Do any of you know of a way around this? This must be a simple fix
>that has been dealt with before but I just cant think of a way around
>it.

My suggestion (as it always seems to be) is to use AdvanceMAME. With
it you can have complete control over every video mode (resolution). I
don't know how well it'll cooperate with the ArcadeVGA card though I
assume its built in bios resoultions can be bypassed just like any
other VGA card. If you do have problems with it or just find that the
ArcadeVGA card is no longer necessary then take a look at
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/hardware.htm which lists some
cards that work well with AdvanceMAME. I've had good luck with Matrox
cards.