Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe - Can't upgrade from IDE to SATA

I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:

I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
MBR.
I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
it).
I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
floppy.
I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.

Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
minutes at the most.

I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
instead of SATA.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Thanks,
Michael

A couple of thing you might want to think about or try:

First, change the list of boot devices in the BIOS setup to include the SATA
drive.

I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard and it has an option called "other boot
device" on the BOOT menu. The correct choice for my PC to boot from an SATA
dive is "SCSI/Onboard ATA boot". Remember that SCSI, SATA, and RAID are all
more or less lumped into an "other" category.

Also, The correct choice for the IDE Hard Drive is "none". This is on the
BOOT menu. It does not mean that you do not have an IDE hard drive, only
that you do not want to boot from it.

Finally, before I could get the BIOS to even see my SATA hard drive, I had
to make a "RAID array". I had to do this even though I am treating this
SATA disk as a single disk, because it was attached to a RAID controller.
It may be that your motherboard did not need to do this, or did this for
you, since the XP repair seemed to find an installation of XP, and without
the IDE disk, the only other was the one on the SATA cloned-disk. Still,
examine the POST carefully to verify that the BIOS sees the SATA disk.

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:
>
> I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
> I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
> MBR.
> I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
> I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
> it).
> I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
> floppy.
> I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
> Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.
>
> Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
> will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
> and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
> it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
> drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
> the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
> minutes at the most.
>
> I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
> website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
> what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
> applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
> choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
> drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
> instead of SATA.
>
> if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

anna

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:
>
> I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
> I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
> MBR.
> I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
> I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
> it).
> I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
> floppy.
> I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
> Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.
>
> Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
> will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
> and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
> it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
> drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
> the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
> minutes at the most.
>
> I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
> website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
> what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
> applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
> choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
> drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
> instead of SATA.
>
> if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Michael:
Try this with your ASUS A7N8XE-Deluxe motherboard re installing the
SATA-RAID driver...

(The following assumes that Device Manager indicates there may be a problem
in that the yellow question mark appears next to the "RAID controller" in
the "Other devices" section. If so...)

1. Insert your ASUS installation CD, and if it the installation menu
displays, exit from it.

2. Device Manager > Other devices > RAID Controller. Right-click and select
Update Driver.

3. Use the Hardware Update Wizard to "Install from. specific location.".

4. Browse to CD - Drivers\SATA and click OK. Click Next on following screen.

5. XP will find the driver - Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller. Click Finish.

6. Driver will be listed in the "SCSI and RAID controllers" (new) section of
DM.

See if the above works.

Anna

Hi Anna, there is no question mark by the Sil 3112 Raid controller in
device manager. In fact, when I initially installed the SATA drive
with the IDE in place, the SATA drive worked fine. I partitioned it,
formatted it NTFS, etc. I gave it a drive label and everything. I
copied files to it and back. Then I did the norton ghost to copy my
entire IDE drive to the SATA and that worked as well. I tested some
files on the SATA drive and they were fine. So at this point I'm sure
the SATA controller is working properly.

The problem seems to be booting from this drive. I now think it's not
related to the fact that it's a SATA drive but it's related to the way
I used ghost. I wonder if it's possible to ghost from IDE to SATA.

I'm really stuck here and I can't justify spending another 5-10 hours
on this. :)

-michael

Bob,

Thanks for the tips. I pretty much did what you said, the boot
sequence is CD-ROM, floppy, SCSI. There is another option SCSI or RAID
and I selected RAID. Since windows saw it fine, ghost copied my entire
IDE drive to the SATA drive, and the windows repair installation sees
it, then I think it's OK. It's just for some reason it hangs on
booting during the repair install (after the initial reboot). I now
suspect maybe the ghost didn't work properly.

-Michael

Hi Anna, thank you very much for your help. I did disconnect the IDE
drive, because I was afraid of corrupting it. But I cannot say for
100% sure that I didn't try booting with it in place first. So I'm
going to try the process again, I'll let the ghost run overnight and
try again in the morning. Thanks for confirming that my logic and my
process is correct and I'm on the right track.

Someone else suggested installing windows on the SATA drive like I
would for a new PC and then doing the ghost. I might try that as well.

Regards,
Michael

I've had numerous problems with moving my installation of XP to different
hard drives using an imaging utility.

One problem that sticks in my mind was that I switched from an IDE drive to
a SATA drive. The IDE drive was the old XP drive and still had all the files
on it.

Consequently Windows decided that it must boot from the IDE drive in order
to access Windows on the SATA drive.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to "repair" it. I finally had to reinstall XP
(not imaging) on the SATA drive without the IDE drive anywhere in the system.
Once that was done I was able to add the IDE drive back in without any
problems. Luckily I was still able to boot off the IDE and access the SATA
windows - this gave me the time to get around to a full format and reinstall
of the OS.

Good Luck!

- John

"newsbirdie2@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:
>
> I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
> I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
> MBR.
> I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
> I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
> it).
> I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
> floppy.
> I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
> Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.
>
> Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
> will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
> and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
> it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
> drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
> the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
> minutes at the most.
>
> I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
> website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
> what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
> applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
> choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
> drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
> instead of SATA.
>
> if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

anna

> Hi Anna, there is no question mark by the Sil 3112 Raid controller in
> device manager. In fact, when I initially installed the SATA drive
> with the IDE in place, the SATA drive worked fine. I partitioned it,
> formatted it NTFS, etc. I gave it a drive label and everything. I
> copied files to it and back. Then I did the norton ghost to copy my
> entire IDE drive to the SATA and that worked as well. I tested some
> files on the SATA drive and they were fine. So at this point I'm sure
> the SATA controller is working properly.
>
> The problem seems to be booting from this drive. I now think it's not
> related to the fact that it's a SATA drive but it's related to the way
> I used ghost. I wonder if it's possible to ghost from IDE to SATA.
>
> I'm really stuck here and I can't justify spending another 5-10 hours
> on this. :)
>
> -michael

Michael:
I'm not sure the following caused your problem, but let me mention it as a
possibility...

First of all, there's no basic problem using Ghost (we use exclusively the
2003 version) to clone the contents of a PATA drive to a SATA drive (or the
reverse), and assuming the drives in question are non-defective and the
contents of the system files are non-corruptible, the resultant SATA clone
should be bootable and without problems.

What *is* important is that following the cloning process, *before* you make
that *initial* boot with the cloned (SATA) drive, you *disconnect* the
source disk. In other words, do *not* make that initial boot with *both*
drives connected. From time to time we have encountered problems with the
cloned disk (PATA or SATA) in that it wouldn't boot. We traced the problem
to the fact that following the cloning operation, the user would boot with
*both* drives connected. And when he or she later tried to boot from the
cloned drive, it would not do so.

As I say, I'm not sure that's your problem in this particular case. If you
think it is, re:clone and follow the above instructions.
Anna

My IDE Is 80 gigs and I made the mistake of not having a small
partition for the OS. :)

anna

> Hi Anna, thank you very much for your help. I did disconnect the IDE
> drive, because I was afraid of corrupting it. But I cannot say for
> 100% sure that I didn't try booting with it in place first. So I'm
> going to try the process again, I'll let the ghost run overnight and
> try again in the morning. Thanks for confirming that my logic and my
> process is correct and I'm on the right track.
>
> Someone else suggested installing windows on the SATA drive like I
> would for a new PC and then doing the ghost. I might try that as well.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

"ghost run overnight"? What's that all about?
Anna

anna

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had numerous problems with moving my installation of XP to different
> hard drives using an imaging utility.
>
> One problem that sticks in my mind was that I switched from an IDE drive
> a SATA drive. The IDE drive was the old XP drive and still had all the
> files
> on it.
>
> Consequently Windows decided that it must boot from the IDE drive in order
> to access Windows on the SATA drive.
>
> Unfortunately, I wasn't able to "repair" it. I finally had to reinstall
> XP
> (not imaging) on the SATA drive without the IDE drive anywhere in the
> system.
> Once that was done I was able to add the IDE drive back in without any
> problems. Luckily I was still able to boot off the IDE and access the
> SATA
> windows - this gave me the time to get around to a full format and
> reinstall
> of the OS.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> - John

John:
Windows didn't "decide" anything. The booting process is controlled by your
motherboard's BIOS. It's possible, even likely, that the boot order had not
been properly set in the BIOS. Depending upon the motherboard, the user's
ability to manipulate the settings where there's a mix of PATA & SATA drives
is not, unfortunately, entirely straightforward, particularly in some of the
older motherboards. And we've even run into situations, perhaps similar to
yours, where the PATA drive *had* to be physically disconnected before we
could get the SATA drive to boot. Most infrequent but it did occur.
Anna

TRENDING THREADS