AMD 64 FX cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2005 1:05:01 AM

OK, here's my deal...I am planning on building an AMD 64 system this or
next month (depending on when my check shows up) and I was wondering folks
thoughts on cooling a FX-55 processor.

Specifically:

1. Can I stick with a conventional HSF unit, or should I consider something
more exotic (i.e. water-cooling)?

2. If a conventional HSF unit will do the trick...any suggestions on which
one to get (and yes, I did look at AMD's official site to see which cooler
they approved for a FX-55)?

3. Should I bother with a premium thermal transfer compound (i.e. Artic
Silver or the like) or will the thermal grease that *usually* comes with
most HSF units do the trick? (Obviously, if a specific HSF unit doesn't
supply any thermal compound with the unit, the question is pretty much
moot)

Of course, I'm also aware of issues like ambient air temp, case airflow,
etc. that due have bearing on this issue, and one of the things I am going
to be doing on this upgrade is to rewire and re-route the cables for
maximum open-space airflow inside the case (a Lian-Li PC-6085B)

Thanks in Advance

Jeff

More about : amd cooling

February 4, 2005 10:57:06 AM

If you are air cooling only, get an Athlon64 4000. If you want to o/c an
FX-55 you will need to water cool, as air cooling is not really effective
when you start to push an FX-55.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2005 1:51:38 AM

I too would go for A64 4000 but you maybe do need extra cache for some
specific application or something. However if you choose air cooling i
would go for some high quality heatpipe system like Thermaltake CL-P0025
or similar. It's not the cheapest cooler around but it is quiet too. And
yes premium thermal paste WILL make difference, measurable difference.

Link
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025sil...
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2005 1:51:39 AM

Der Steppenwolf <hellno@spam.net> wrote in news:N7SMd.1293$Mw3.1238
@amstwist00:

> http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025sil...

Thanks for the info...don't think I'm gonna spring for the FX-55...need to
pare the budget somehow...:)  That Thermaltake heat-pipe cooler looks real
nice...I have a Thermaltake in my current system, its not exactly silent,
but it gets the job done...wouldn't mind going with them for another build.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2005 4:40:03 AM

Der Steppenwolf wrote:
> I too would go for A64 4000 but you maybe do need extra cache for some
> specific application or something.

The A64-4000 is just a rebadged FX53, so the only difference between it and
the FX55 is 200MHz.

[...]

--
Michael Brown