copying WindowsXP system to external HDD

Hello, I read some articles you've posted about booting from an
external USB HDD.

Although it is possible to boot, I also read installing XP on external
USB HDD is impossible.

so My question is ...
Can I use Ghost or something to INSTALL(kind of) XP on the external
drive?
(I have few experience with Ghost, so I do not remember.)

I want to prepare a spare HDD for my notebook.

Thanks.

"ICN_OK" <cobra1030@hanmail.net> wrote in message
> Hello, I read some articles you've posted about booting from an
> external USB HDD.
>
> Although it is possible to boot, I also read installing XP on external
> USB HDD is impossible.
>
> so My question is ...
> Can I use Ghost or something to INSTALL(kind of) XP on the external
> drive?
> (I have few experience with Ghost, so I do not remember.)
>
> I want to prepare a spare HDD for my notebook.
>
> Thanks.

You can certainly use an imaging product such as Ghost to create
a carbon copy of your hard disk on an external disk. However,
when it comes to booting then you must install this disk internally.

Your basic idea is excellent. You should consider these points:
- Instead of creating an image disk, consider creating an image
file (which you park on the external disk). This gives you the
opportunity of storing other things on that disk too, e.g. a second
image file six months down the track.
- Make sure to go through a full recovery exercise when setting
up this process. If you don't then you can't be sure that it will
work when the crunch comes.

Pegasus \(MVP\) Wrote:
> "ICN_OK" cobra1030@hanmail.net wrote in message
> Hello, I read some articles you've posted about booting from an
> external USB HDD.
>
> Although it is possible to boot, I also read installing XP on
> external
> USB HDD is impossible.
>
> so My question is ...
> Can I use Ghost or something to INSTALL(kind of) XP on the external
> drive?
> (I have few experience with Ghost, so I do not remember.)
>
> I want to prepare a spare HDD for my notebook.
>
> Thanks.
> -
>
> You can certainly use an imaging product such as Ghost to create
> a carbon copy of your hard disk on an external disk. However,
> when it comes to booting then you must install this disk internally.
>
> Your basic idea is excellent. You should consider these points:
> - Instead of creating an image disk, consider creating an image
> file (which you park on the external disk). This gives you the
> opportunity of storing other things on that disk too, e.g. a second
> image file six months down the track.
> - Make sure to go through a full recovery exercise when setting
> up this process. If you don't then you can't be sure that it will
> work when the crunch comes.

Hello!
I agree with Pegasus!
I think that make an image file of system is more useful and safely.
As for me I always use 'system backup software'
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) (mainly
Acronis True Image).
I create full backup once a month, and every day I did encremantal
backup, but till this week Acronis released new version that allows:
differential backups capture the changes made since your last full
backup.
I've just tried it, and it seems save more free space and needs less
time.

Enjoin your life.... ;)

--
Jaga