force specific driver usage

I have an SD card reader from SMC. After installing the driver, XP
automatically uses that driver for that device. I got a new smart card
reader from another manufacturer, but I want to know how to force it to
use the same driver being used by the SMC card reader. When attempting
to point the XP driver setup to the "inf" file included with the SMC
device, the driver is not listed/found as a driver for the new reader.
2 answers Last reply
More about force specific driver usage

    Use the driver specific to the new reader. Hardware is different, drivers
    are different.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    <chrisb01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an SD card reader from SMC. After installing the driver, XP
    > automatically uses that driver for that device. I got a new smart card
    > reader from another manufacturer, but I want to know how to force it to
    > use the same driver being used by the SMC card reader. When attempting
    > to point the XP driver setup to the "inf" file included with the SMC
    > device, the driver is not listed/found as a driver for the new reader.

    The SMC card rreader is using a different chip/device id than your newer
    unit. Since the newer unit is also delivered with its own drivers, this
    means that you need to install BOTH drivers. Most card reader DO NOT share
    the same drivers, therefore there is not "standard" driver that you can use
    for all the unit.

    <chrisb01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have an SD card reader from SMC. After installing the driver, XP
    > automatically uses that driver for that device. I got a new smart card
    > reader from another manufacturer, but I want to know how to force it to
    > use the same driver being used by the SMC card reader. When attempting
    > to point the XP driver setup to the "inf" file included with the SMC
    > device, the driver is not listed/found as a driver for the new reader.

SD Card Reader Devices Windows XP