Antec Overture case with Zalman 7700 Cu/Athlon 64 - does i..

Has anyone built a system with the Antec Overture
desktop case and the Zalman 7700 Cu cooler on an
Athlon 64?
This will be with the Asus A8V deluxe MB.
I am a bit concerned that the cooler may interfere
with the drive bay cages on the case.
Because ov the weight of the Zalman 7700 I would
like a desktop case rather than a tower. If clearance
is a problem with the Antec, can someone recommend
another desktop case?
Thanks!
David
1 answer Last reply
More about antec overture case zalman 7700 athlon

    Well, I tried it out and just in case anyone else
    should be looking for this info here are the results.

    The cooler on the Asus A8V Deluxe fitted the Antec case
    ok. The 3,5" internal drive housing at the side of the
    case just clears the cooler by 1-2mm or so.

    The problems are somehow never where you expect.
    Other points that may help system builders:-

    (1) Antec Oveture and Asus A8V - if you need a floppy
    cable put in before mounting the MB. The stupid Asus
    connector points out sideways a few mm in front of the
    PSU and once the MB is in place there isn't enough room
    to get most connectors in. If you've done that already
    though you can remove the PSU screws from underneath
    the case and slide the PSU forward a bit to make space
    to ease the connector in.

    (2) Zalman 7700 Cu and Asus A8V - put your memory module
    in slot 1 before mounting the cooler! A real pain but
    there isn't enough free space above slot 1 to get it in
    afterwards. Most inconvenient for oc'ers who like swapping
    ram around all the time.

    (3) The ventilation in this case is not ideal. The Zalman
    7700 Cu is great with the lid removed. Even overclocked
    to 2550MHz under P95 torture the CPU remains below 36°.
    Put the lid on though and the temp goes up by at least
    12°. I'm probably going to drill a series of holes right
    above the cooler and make a duct from an old CD cake
    box to ensure that the CPU gets fresh air. This will
    probably reverse the flow of air at the other intakes
    (now outlets), and perhaps the other two low speed fans
    would be better removed.

    David

    david_ffm@mail.com (David Johnstone) wrote in message news:<62703be8.0502080310.6e2d9c0b@posting.google.com>...
    > Has anyone built a system with the Antec Overture
    > desktop case and the Zalman 7700 Cu cooler on an
    > Athlon 64?
    > This will be with the Asus A8V deluxe MB.
    > I am a bit concerned that the cooler may interfere
    > with the drive bay cages on the case.
    > Because ov the weight of the Zalman 7700 I would
    > like a desktop case rather than a tower. If clearance
    > is a problem with the Antec, can someone recommend
    > another desktop case?
    > Thanks!
    > David

AMD Zalman Cases Desktops Antec Overclocking