Antec Overture case with Zalman 7700 Cu/Athlon 64 - does i..

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 6:10:20 AM

Has anyone built a system with the Antec Overture
desktop case and the Zalman 7700 Cu cooler on an
Athlon 64?
This will be with the Asus A8V deluxe MB.
I am a bit concerned that the cooler may interfere
with the drive bay cages on the case.
Because ov the weight of the Zalman 7700 I would
like a desktop case rather than a tower. If clearance
is a problem with the Antec, can someone recommend
another desktop case?
Thanks!
David
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 18, 2005 9:36:38 AM

Well, I tried it out and just in case anyone else
should be looking for this info here are the results.

The cooler on the Asus A8V Deluxe fitted the Antec case
ok. The 3,5" internal drive housing at the side of the
case just clears the cooler by 1-2mm or so.

The problems are somehow never where you expect.
Other points that may help system builders:-

(1) Antec Oveture and Asus A8V - if you need a floppy
cable put in before mounting the MB. The stupid Asus
connector points out sideways a few mm in front of the
PSU and once the MB is in place there isn't enough room
to get most connectors in. If you've done that already
though you can remove the PSU screws from underneath
the case and slide the PSU forward a bit to make space
to ease the connector in.

(2) Zalman 7700 Cu and Asus A8V - put your memory module
in slot 1 before mounting the cooler! A real pain but
there isn't enough free space above slot 1 to get it in
afterwards. Most inconvenient for oc'ers who like swapping
ram around all the time.

(3) The ventilation in this case is not ideal. The Zalman
7700 Cu is great with the lid removed. Even overclocked
to 2550MHz under P95 torture the CPU remains below 36°.
Put the lid on though and the temp goes up by at least
12°. I'm probably going to drill a series of holes right
above the cooler and make a duct from an old CD cake
box to ensure that the CPU gets fresh air. This will
probably reverse the flow of air at the other intakes
(now outlets), and perhaps the other two low speed fans
would be better removed.

David

!