AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Running too hot

Last response: in Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 6:20:34 PM

I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother board
monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I have seen
mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese which
causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete cooler.

So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 6:20:35 PM

"M Joyce" <mjoyce@[nospam].talktalk.net> wrote in message
>I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother board
> monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I have
> seen
> mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese which
> causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete cooler.
>
> So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
> motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.

To even agree that you may need a better HSF, we need more information.
Is that reading under maximum load, at idle or somewhere in between?
What is the room temperature?
What is the case temperature?
Have you tried opening the case to see what effect an open case has on the
CPU temperature reading?
I could go on, but the point is that several factors, including the ambient
temperature and the case temperature as an indicator of proper airflow, are
important considerations in recommending action to lower the CPU
temperature. The HSF *may* have nothing to do with your problem.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 6:45:26 PM

M Joyce <mjoyce@[nospam].talktalk.net> wrote in

> I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother
> board monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As
> I have seen mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that
> agreese which causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete
> cooler.
>
> So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
> motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference

I should mention that I would concider overclocking if I could get a good
enough cooler on here to allow scope to do that.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 12:16:48 AM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:20:34 +0000, M Joyce wrote:

> I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother board
> monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I have
> seen mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese
> which causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete cooler.
>
> So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
> motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.

What cooler do you have now? You may not need a new cooler. But if you do
and you know it, then a TR2-M1 will work fine even overclocked to 2400MHz
or more. And it's cheap (about $10) and quiet (21dba).

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 3:15:25 AM

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in

> "M Joyce" <mjoyce@[nospam].talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother
>>board
>> monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I
>> have seen
>> mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese
>> which causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete
>> cooler.
>>
>> So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
>> motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.
>
> To even agree that you may need a better HSF, we need more
> information. Is that reading under maximum load, at idle or somewhere
> in between? What is the room temperature?
> What is the case temperature?
> Have you tried opening the case to see what effect an open case has on
> the CPU temperature reading?
> I could go on, but the point is that several factors, including the
> ambient temperature and the case temperature as an indicator of proper
> airflow, are important considerations in recommending action to lower
> the CPU temperature. The HSF *may* have nothing to do with your
> problem.

Room temperature is a bit over 20C, the case temp is reading at about
36-38C, and the readings are with BOINC running in bg so that would be
full load.

Havnt tried opening case will give that a try
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 4:41:14 AM

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in

> "M Joyce" <mjoyce@[nospam].talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother
>>board
>> monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I
>> have seen
>> mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese
>> which causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete
>> cooler.
>>
>> So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
>> motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.
>
> To even agree that you may need a better HSF, we need more
> information. Is that reading under maximum load, at idle or somewhere
> in between? What is the room temperature?
> What is the case temperature?
> Have you tried opening the case to see what effect an open case has on
> the CPU temperature reading?
> I could go on, but the point is that several factors, including the
> ambient temperature and the case temperature as an indicator of proper
> airflow, are important considerations in recommending action to lower
> the CPU temperature. The HSF *may* have nothing to do with your
> problem.

OK, tried opening the case, now the temps are reading 53C CPU and 32C
Case at full load, but that is still far to high no?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 4:41:15 AM

M Joyce wrote:
> "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in
>

>>"M Joyce" <mjoyce@[nospam].talktalk.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, and I just installed mother
>>>board
>>>monitor 5 only to find it reporting the temperature at 61C. As I
>>>have seen
>>>mentioned here I checked with the bios and found out that agreese
>>>which causes me to think this computer came with an inadiquete
>>>cooler.
>>>
>>>So my question is what is a good cooler for this type of CPU, my
>>>motherboard is an AsRock K7S41GX, I assume that makes a difference.
>>
>>To even agree that you may need a better HSF, we need more
>>information. Is that reading under maximum load, at idle or somewhere
>>in between? What is the room temperature?
>>What is the case temperature?
>>Have you tried opening the case to see what effect an open case has on
>>the CPU temperature reading?
>>I could go on, but the point is that several factors, including the
>>ambient temperature and the case temperature as an indicator of proper
>>airflow, are important considerations in recommending action to lower
>>the CPU temperature. The HSF *may* have nothing to do with your
>>problem.
>>

> OK, tried opening the case, now the temps are reading 53C CPU and 32C
> Case at full load, but that is still far to high no?

I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80 to
85c, water boils at 100c and I don't know of any plastic that will melt
in boiling water, and silicon melts at 1420 degrees Celsius.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 12:01:18 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:15:25 +0000, M Joyce wrote:

> Room temperature is a bit over 20C, the case temp is reading at about
> 36-38C, and the readings are with BOINC running in bg so that would be
> full load.

The difference between my room and case temps are about 3C. Yours are
about 15C or more. While even 38C is within limits, it's way too hot with
a 20C room temp

> Havnt tried opening case will give that a try

That should lower case temps down into the 20's range after about 15
minutes. And CPU temps should fall close to the same amount relatively.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 12:03:38 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:36 -0600, M. Bezzel wrote:

> I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80 to 85c,

Actually, the max temp is 70C.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 3:26:22 PM

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
news:p an.2005.02.09.09.05.58.329944@TAKEOUTverizon.net:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:36 -0600, M. Bezzel wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80 to
>> 85c,
>
> Actually, the max temp is 70C.

Well isnt that cutting it a bit too close, and besides that high rating is
only the point at which the temp has a risk of frying the CPU, being too
hot even if not quite that hot reduces its life doesnt it?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2005 8:38:20 PM

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:26:22 +0000, M Joyce wrote:

> Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
> news:p an.2005.02.09.09.05.58.329944@TAKEOUTverizon.net:
>
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:36 -0600, M. Bezzel wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80 to
>>> 85c,
>>
>> Actually, the max temp is 70C.
>>

> Well isnt that cutting it a bit too close, and besides that high rating is
> only the point at which the temp has a risk of frying the CPU, being too
> hot even if not quite that hot reduces its life doesnt it?

I screwed up. The max temp for the XP line is 85C. I had the A64 line
on my mind, which is 70C.

In any case, for the 2400+ XP at stock vcore and speed shouldn't run over
50C with decent cooling, and certainly not over 60C. Even maxed out at
1.85v vcore and 2400MHz, the one below never got over 51C IIRC. The hotter
you run one, decreases reliabilty a lot, and life of the part depending on
how far you go.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2005 4:20:20 AM

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:36 -0600, M. Bezzel wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80
>> to 85c,
>
> Actually, the max temp is 70C.

We're talking AXP here, not A64 :)  I think the only desktop 2400 is the
AXDA2400DKV3C (a TBred B), which has a maximum core temperature of 85 deg C,
as opposed to 90 deg C on the slower models.

--
Michael Brown
a b V Motherboard

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:20:20 +1300, Michael Brown wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:32:36 -0600, M. Bezzel wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't be too worried, the chip has a high rating of around 80 to
>>> 85c,
>>
>> Actually, the max temp is 70C.
>
> We're talking AXP here, not A64 :)  I think the only desktop 2400 is the
> AXDA2400DKV3C (a TBred B), which has a maximum core temperature of 85 deg
> C, as opposed to 90 deg C on the slower models.

How right you are. I screwed up here. For some reason I was thing A64.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2005 9:41:10 AM

> "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in
>

> OK, tried opening the case, now the temps are reading 53C CPU and 32C
> Case at full load, but that is still far to high no?

With good airflow through the case, you should be able to keep the case
temperature within 10C of room temperature. The reduction in temps from
opening the case indicates (to me, at least) that you should look at your
case fan situation. I'll bet if you placed a desk fan where it blew cool
directly into the open case, you'd see another substantial improvement. AMD
(and most users) recommends at least one case exhaust fan mounted high on
the rear of the case (usually just below the HSF) and one intake fan mounted
bottom-front to bring in cool air. If these fans are missing or weak, that's
the problem. A second case consideration is cable routing so as not to block
airflow through the case and/or create hotspots.
That said, the difference between your case and CPU temps could be less than
21C, and Wes's suggestion for an inexpensive, but far better, HSF will help
with that.
!