Hi,

is there a way to manually disable parallel port, modifying some windows
xp config file?

Thanks

Bye

BigJim

first remove the port in device manager then reboot to the bios and disable
the port.
reboot and that should work.
"Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to manually disable parallel port, modifying some windows
> xp config file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bye

barryg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002

Get into the BIOS setup during bootup
Some systems use DEL key, others use F2 key, check you system user guide, or
watch the startup screen very closely as it flashes past. It "should" tell
you how to access BIOS setup. The pause key can stop everything while you
read the screen.

Some systems used to use a separate utilty on a bootable floppy disk to
setup the BIOS. With the floppy, your BIOS was setup for good.

Once in the BIOS, you should find OnBoard Peripherals somewhere. Disable the
on-board parallel port(s) there.
save the settings on exit, and reboot.
The parallel port should be gone.

Good luck.
BarryG.

"Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to manually disable parallel port, modifying some windows
> xp config file?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bye

Hello BarryG,

thanks for the quick response.
I already tried with the BIOS, but I cannot see the option to completely
disable the Parallel Port. There is only the option to change from EPT to
bi-directional mode.

I cannot start windows xp, because I receive a blue screen at startup...
after browsing the web, I know that the error is caused by an issue with
the Epson Printer Driver (connected through the parallel).

So, I'd like to start a command prompt using an external bootable disk, and
the operate on files in the "c:\" drive, to disable the parallel port (or
the printer driver)... and the try to start windows xp normally.

So... what are files I had to change in the system's folders to disable the
parallel port or printer driver?

Thanks!

Bye

> Get into the BIOS setup during bootup
> Some systems use DEL key, others use F2 key, check you system user
> guide, or
> watch the startup screen very closely as it flashes past. It "should"
> tell
> you how to access BIOS setup. The pause key can stop everything while
> you
> read the screen.
> Some systems used to use a separate utilty on a bootable floppy disk
> to setup the BIOS. With the floppy, your BIOS was setup for good.
>
> Once in the BIOS, you should find OnBoard Peripherals somewhere.
> Disable the
> on-board parallel port(s) there.
> save the settings on exit, and reboot.
> The parallel port should be gone.
> Good luck.
> BarryG.
> "Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a way to manually disable parallel port, modifying some
>> windows xp config file?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bye

You can not disable the parallel port completely with Windows only. There
needs to be a BIOS option which turns off the parallel port.

If your problem is with the Epson print driver taking over the parallel port
and you not longer have the Epson printer, remove the software. Then, in
Device Manager, uninstall the parallel port and reboot. This should palce
the standard parallel port drivers back, and not the Epson ones.

> Hello BarryG,
>
> thanks for the quick response.
> I already tried with the BIOS, but I cannot see the option to completely
> disable the Parallel Port. There is only the option to change from EPT to
> bi-directional mode.
>
> I cannot start windows xp, because I receive a blue screen at startup...
> after browsing the web, I know that the error is caused by an issue with
> the Epson Printer Driver (connected through the parallel).
>
> So, I'd like to start a command prompt using an external bootable disk,
> and the operate on files in the "c:\" drive, to disable the parallel port
> (or the printer driver)... and the try to start windows xp normally.
>
> So... what are files I had to change in the system's folders to disable
> the parallel port or printer driver?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bye
>
>> Get into the BIOS setup during bootup
>> Some systems use DEL key, others use F2 key, check you system user
>> guide, or
>> watch the startup screen very closely as it flashes past. It "should"
>> tell
>> you how to access BIOS setup. The pause key can stop everything while
>> you
>> read the screen.
>> Some systems used to use a separate utilty on a bootable floppy disk
>> to setup the BIOS. With the floppy, your BIOS was setup for good.
>>
>> Once in the BIOS, you should find OnBoard Peripherals somewhere.
>> Disable the
>> on-board parallel port(s) there.
>> save the settings on exit, and reboot.
>> The parallel port should be gone.
>> Good luck.
>> BarryG.
>> "Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there a way to manually disable parallel port, modifying some
>>> windows xp config file?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Bye

Hello Yves,

this is the right solution. But I cannot do that. I cannot boot Windows XP!!!
I receive a blue screen at start-up (before the desktop is loaded).

So... The only way to remove the driver or do other things, is through a
bootable floppy disk, and command prompt.

This is the reason why I'm asking for some windows config file to modify
to manually remove the driver, or disable the parallel port.

Thanks

Bye

> You can not disable the parallel port completely with Windows only.
> There needs to be a BIOS option which turns off the parallel port.
>
> If your problem is with the Epson print driver taking over the
> parallel port and you not longer have the Epson printer, remove the
> software. Then, in Device Manager, uninstall the parallel port and
> reboot. This should palce the standard parallel port drivers back,
> and not the Epson ones.
>
> "Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message
>
>> Hello BarryG,
>>
>> thanks for the quick response.
>> I already tried with the BIOS, but I cannot see the option to
>> completely
>> disable the Parallel Port. There is only the option to change from
>> EPT to
>> bi-directional mode.
>> I cannot start windows xp, because I receive a blue screen at
>> startup... after browsing the web, I know that the error is caused by
>> an issue with the Epson Printer Driver (connected through the
>> parallel).
>>
>> So, I'd like to start a command prompt using an external bootable
>> disk, and the operate on files in the "c:\" drive, to disable the
>> parallel port (or the printer driver)... and the try to start windows
>> xp normally.
>>
>> So... what are files I had to change in the system's folders to
>> disable the parallel port or printer driver?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bye
>>
>>> Get into the BIOS setup during bootup
>>> Some systems use DEL key, others use F2 key, check you system user
>>> guide, or
>>> watch the startup screen very closely as it flashes past. It
>>> "should"
>>> tell
>>> you how to access BIOS setup. The pause key can stop everything
>>> while
>>> you
>>> read the screen.
>>> Some systems used to use a separate utilty on a bootable floppy disk
>>> to setup the BIOS. With the floppy, your BIOS was setup for good.
>>> Once in the BIOS, you should find OnBoard Peripherals somewhere.
>>> Disable the
>>> on-board parallel port(s) there.
>>> save the settings on exit, and reboot.
>>> The parallel port should be gone.
>>> Good luck.
>>> BarryG.
>>> "Stefano" <s.giannone__REMOVETHIS__@giasoft.it> wrote in message

If you knew the names of all the Epson files, you could hunt them down and
delete them, but that might not solve the problem, because the entries that
call those files are still going to be in the registry, and if the error is
there, deleting files isn't going to do anything. Except maybe give you a
different error.

Maybe if you posted the blue-screen error, someone might be able to help you
out, but you're asking for something that's not really possible as stated.

You might, however, want to take another look in the bios. I don't think
I've ever seen one where the ports couldn't be turned off. They probably
exist, considering I haven't seen every bios in the world, but it may be
worth another look. You may be looking in the wrong section of the bios,
too, so look at other sections. They layouts aren't always the same, so the
feature you're looking for may not be where you expect it.