Voltage Probe - Dell OpenManage

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This is quite possibly the most aggressive warning message I've ever
seen from Dell. I should probably uninstall the Dell OM software, but
before I do I'll cross-post and make some calls.

Dell Precision
Windows XP SP2

Warning Event Notification:
"A voltage probe has exceeded a non-critical threshold. Contact your
Help Desk or Dell Technical Support for further assistance."

Although the error is "non-critical" the message returns within 60
seconds of closing. This computer is running the Dell OpenManage
Client Connector. It's an out of warrantee PC but still very useful;
I'd rather run without the Dell software then to see warnings that I
can't diagnose. What voltage probe? Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about voltage probe dell openmanage
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I never understood how Precisions were classified. I used to call Dell
    Tech Support and go through the Server group, but then I'd be separated
    into a group that was strictly Precisions. The last few times I called
    I thought I went into a Desktop group, rather than a Precision group.
    If you want to call a Precision a "Server" then go ahead. I just think
    of the Precision as an advanced desktop.

    OpenManage is another story. They only provide OpenManage support for
    certain lines of computers including Precision. If that's all it
    takes, then call it a server.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Out of warranty Server rather than just a PC
    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > This is quite possibly the most aggressive warning message I've ever
    > seen from Dell. I should probably uninstall the Dell OM software, but
    > before I do I'll cross-post and make some calls.
    >
    > Dell Precision
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > Warning Event Notification:
    > "A voltage probe has exceeded a non-critical threshold. Contact your
    > Help Desk or Dell Technical Support for further assistance."
    >
    > Although the error is "non-critical" the message returns within 60
    > seconds of closing. This computer is running the Dell OpenManage
    > Client Connector. It's an out of warrantee PC but still very useful;
    > I'd rather run without the Dell software then to see warnings that I
    > can't diagnose. What voltage probe? Any ideas?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I'm just suprised at running open manage on a precision workstation
    >I never understood how Precisions were classified. I used to call Dell
    > Tech Support and go through the Server group, but then I'd be separated
    > into a group that was strictly Precisions. The last few times I called
    > I thought I went into a Desktop group, rather than a Precision group.
    > If you want to call a Precision a "Server" then go ahead. I just think
    > of the Precision as an advanced desktop.
    >
    > OpenManage is another story. They only provide OpenManage support for
    > certain lines of computers including Precision. If that's all it
    > takes, then call it a server.

    Cross-posting was broken between microsoft.public.windowsxp.harware and
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sys.pc-clone.dell/browse_frm/thread/c3ecc170bee126cd/f2d60f340a5a196e?lnk=st&q=penharston&rnum=1&hl=en#f2d60f340a5a196e

Dell Microsoft Windows XP