Question 1.
This is a simple one. What is the "Run" command to go to the boot menu
in Windows Xp Home Edition. The menu that includes safemode, startup
options, and all of that good stuff.

Question 2.
I have computer, with a single partition, that I need to be able to
boot into Linux (undecided on which distro so far) and DOS. It is
quite unprobable to back up my files are format, as I have about 100 gb
of data stored on it. Should I go through the complicated process of
installing 3 OS's on a single partition, or is there a simpler way...

Question 3.
I need to edit Windows... there are some missing features that I wish
to have some fun trying to impliment. How would I edit the OS?

Question 4.
Same computer with about 100gb of data, I believe I may have a trojan.
If I stay connected to the internet, my computer is shutdown every time
I do something like type an important password (IE my swiss bank).
McAfee seems to think I'm fine. I was downloading a stationary, hidden
Keylogger for my computer (kids...), and it did what we all hate: As
soon as the EXE was extracted from the ZIP, the file just up and
disappeared. I have seen this with many viruses/trojans, and really
don't understand what this is, and how it is done. I never ran it. It
isn't there in command prompt or safe mode. Backing up and
reinstalling would have two issues: I might back up the trojan/virus
and 100 gb to backup is crazy.

These are all on a single business computer (owned by me).

Thanks,
Zanzer Corporation (Mike Roberts - CEO)

Last question first, you must remove all viruses before you
waste time with the other procedures, such as dual booting.

To boot into safe mode, press F8 before Windows loads.

Buy a second hard drive, they are cheap these days./ You
can partition it using the built-in disk management in XP.
Create several partitions and install Linux and DOS on FAT32
partitions.

What do you think you need to do to edit Windows?

Advice, buy a second computer to screw around with, else all
your business data is at risk.

some support

<mike2010@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Question 1.
| This is a simple one. What is the "Run" command to go to
the boot menu
| in Windows Xp Home Edition. The menu that includes
safemode, startup
| options, and all of that good stuff.
|
| Question 2.
| I have computer, with a single partition, that I need to
be able to
| boot into Linux (undecided on which distro so far) and
DOS. It is
| quite unprobable to back up my files are format, as I have
about 100 gb
| of data stored on it. Should I go through the complicated
process of
| installing 3 OS's on a single partition, or is there a
simpler way...

| Question 3.
| I need to edit Windows... there are some missing features
that I wish
| to have some fun trying to impliment. How would I edit
the OS?

| Question 4.
| Same computer with about 100gb of data, I believe I may
have a trojan.
| If I stay connected to the internet, my computer is
shutdown every time
| I do something like type an important password (IE my
swiss bank).
| McAfee seems to think I'm fine. I was downloading a
stationary, hidden
| Keylogger for my computer (kids...), and it did what we
all hate: As
| soon as the EXE was extracted from the ZIP, the file just
up and
| disappeared. I have seen this with many viruses/trojans,
and really
| don't understand what this is, and how it is done. I
never ran it. It
| isn't there in command prompt or safe mode. Backing up
and
| reinstalling would have two issues: I might back up the
trojan/virus
| and 100 gb to backup is crazy.
|
| These are all on a single business computer (owned by me).
|
| Thanks,
| Zanzer Corporation (Mike Roberts - CEO)

Question 1: Does not exist.

Question 2: You cannot install more than one OS in a single partition. Try
Partition Magic by Symantec.

Question 3: Control Panel > Add or Remove Software > Add/Remove Windows
Components

Question 4: What is the question?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Zanzer Corporation (Mike Roberts - CEO)" <mike2010@gmail.com> wrote in
> [...]

> to have some fun trying to impliment. How would I edit the OS?
>
> Question 4.
> Same computer with about 100gb of data, I believe I may have a trojan.
> If I stay connected to the internet, my computer is shutdown every time
> I do something like type an important password (IE my swiss bank).
> McAfee seems to think I'm fine. I was downloading a stationary, hidden
> Keylogger for my computer (kids...), and it did what we all hate: As
> soon as the EXE was extracted from the ZIP, the file just up and
> disappeared. I have seen this with many viruses/trojans, and really
> don't understand what this is, and how it is done. I never ran it. It
> isn't there in command prompt or safe mode. Backing up and
> reinstalling would have two issues: I might back up the trojan/virus
> and 100 gb to backup is crazy.
>
> These are all on a single business computer (owned by me).

If you have 100Gb of important data on that drive when (not if) that hard
drive crashes, you're going to be mighty sorry. You'd be best off backing up
that data now, while the computer is running and the drive isn't wheezing
and clicking. Yes, it's a little inconvenient, and you have to spend money
on some backup media, but the cost of a backup drive is minimal compared to
the cost of a data recovery service plus the downtime involved in getting
the data recovered.

If this truly is a business computer and not 100Gb of MP3s that you have
accumulated, you might want to consider getting a second computer for your
kids and your tweaking projects. If you do have a keylogger on your
computer, all your data on your computer is at risk. If you keep customer
data on your machine, it's even worse.

Chad

You can pick up a second drive for under $100 and use freeware backup
tools like SyncBack or Back2zip to get all your critical data backed
up. Goofing around on a work computer is asking for trouble anyway --
to also not have a backup plan is just foolhardy. Here are some free
backup tools to get you started:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

TRENDING THREADS