Old power supply- new pci-e motherboard!

My brand new SLI motherboard has got a 24 pin power connector, and my power
supply has a 20 pin power connector and another lead which looks like 4
power pins (what are they?) Can I use the 20pin cable and put the 4 pin
cable in the missing holes?

Thanks

Dan
7 answers Last reply
More about power supply motherboard

    Not sure if the additional 4 pin connecter you reference is earmarked for
    another socket. For instance the DFI SLi mb requires 4 power connections to
    the mb for stable SLi mode. A 24 pin main, a 4 pin atx 12 volt, a hdd and
    floppy drive power lead. Four connections total. Your motherboard manual
    should show how to make the proper connections.

    Dan wrote:
    > My brand new SLI motherboard has got a 24 pin power connector, and my power
    > supply has a 20 pin power connector and another lead which looks like 4
    > power pins (what are they?) Can I use the 20pin cable and put the 4 pin
    > cable in the missing holes?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dan

    Thats what its made for. Just plug 4 pin connector into "missing holes"
    and it will work just fine.

    Thanks! I'm assuming I have to be careful what holes I put the two
    connectors into?

    Dan

    Dan wrote:
    > Thanks! I'm assuming I have to be careful what holes I put the two
    > connectors into?
    >
    > Dan

    There is only one way to put them in. Otherways they wont fit.

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:56:31 -0000, "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote:

    >Thanks! I'm assuming I have to be careful what holes I put the two
    >connectors into?
    >
    >Dan

    Dan for Christsakes don't do this the seperate 4 pin connector is not
    designed to connect there. The 4 pin has its own header usually close
    to the processor socket. The 24 pin ATX power socket is designed to
    accept either the standard 20 pin plug or the new ATX 2.0 24 pin plug.
    The M/B should come with a blanking plate fitted over the spare 4
    sockets which are left over if you use the 20 pin plug.

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:57:51 +0000, Dan wrote:

    > My brand new SLI motherboard has got a 24 pin power connector, and my
    > power supply has a 20 pin power connector and another lead which looks
    > like 4 power pins (what are they?) Can I use the 20pin cable and put the 4
    > pin cable in the missing holes?

    No, but you can get a 20->24 pin adapter (ATX->ATX 2.0). The 4 pin
    connector is an extra +12v connector. Should be a place on the MB to plug
    it in. RTFM.

    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:21:23 +0100, Der Steppenwolf wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >> My brand new SLI motherboard has got a 24 pin power connector, and my
    >> power supply has a 20 pin power connector and another lead which looks
    >> like 4 power pins (what are they?) Can I use the 20pin cable and put the
    >> 4 pin cable in the missing holes?
    >>
    > Thats what its made for. Just plug 4 pin connector into "missing holes"
    > and it will work just fine.

    Well I don't think it will fit and that's a good thing since it would
    probably blow the MB. That's NOT what it is for. Suggest you check the
    difference between the ATX (20pin) and ATX 2.0 (24pin) specs before you
    spout such trash again. The 4pin (P4) connector is 2 +12v pins and 2
    ground pins. The extra 4 pins of the 24 connector are 1 each, +3.3v, +5v,
    +12v, and Ground IIRC.

    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

AMD Power Supplies Motherboards Power Overclocking