Silicon Image Ultra ATA Ide Controller Card

I have installed to the point where Device Manager sees it and says it's
working properly. At the moment of truth, when I connect my drives to the
card and restart, Windows sees the drives as Secondary (not Primary) and
hangs. How do I get the drives to be seen as primary?

--
Patrick S Page
PO Box 1212

PatSPage@Hotmail.com
760.363.0062
5 answers Last reply
More about silicon image ultra controller card

    I have no IDEA
    But I would like to point out that posting your Email address with your
    phone number and other personal info is not a good idea.
    I am willing to bet that your Spam count will increase dramatically and so
    will those lovely dinner hour sales calls.
    Spoof your email address and remove other personal
    information...........please!
    peterk

    --
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
    faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
    "Patrick Page" <patspage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed to the point where Device Manager sees it and says it's
    >working properly. At the moment of truth, when I connect my drives to the
    >card and restart, Windows sees the drives as Secondary (not Primary) and
    >hangs. How do I get the drives to be seen as primary?
    >
    > --
    > Patrick S Page
    > PO Box 1212
    > Morongo Valley, CA 92256-1212
    >
    > PatSPage@Hotmail.com
    > 760.363.0062

    To the card,as in a IDE PCI card.How/why would one be connecting drives in
    internet explorer,then you restart...Restart computer,installation ???Try
    power
    off computer,connect youre drives to the card,start computer to the BIOS,con-
    figure youre hardware in the BIOS,xp will set as its configured to BIOS
    (basic
    input output system).

    "Patrick Page" wrote:
    >I have installed to the point where Device Manager sees it
    > and says it's working properly. At the moment of truth, when
    > I connect my drives to the card and restart, Windows sees
    > the drives as Secondary (not Primary) and hangs. How do
    > I get the drives to be seen as primary?

    I have no idea what you mean by Windows seeing HDs
    as Primary or Secondary, but PCI IDE controller card will
    see the HDs as being on the primary channel (ch. 0)
    or secondary channel (ch 1). But what is important is
    how the HDs appear in the HD boot order in the
    motherboard BIOS. It will go to the HD at the head of the
    HD boot order and look for its MBR. Then it will pass
    control to that MBR, which in turn will pass control to the
    boot sector of the "active" partition listed in the HD's
    partition table. That partition better have the boot files -
    ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com .

    So, what you want to do is to put the HD with the boot
    files - usually the one that has the OS - at the head of the
    HD boot order. You can just go into the BIOS and set the
    proper HD to the head of the boot order manually via
    keyboard. Or, since most BIOSes, as a default, put the
    HD jumpered as Master on ch. 0 (i.e. the Primary channel)
    at the head of the boot order, you can just plug the IDE cable
    that connects the 2 HDs to the conroller card into the other
    IDE connector on the card. IOW, you just plugged the cable
    into the wrong connector on the card.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Patrick Page" <patspage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed to the point where Device Manager sees it and says it's
    >working properly. At the moment of truth, when I connect my drives to the
    >card and restart, Windows sees the drives as Secondary (not Primary) and
    >hangs. How do I get the drives to be seen as primary?
    >
    > --
    > Patrick S Page
    > PO Box 1212
    > Morongo Valley, CA 92256-1212
    >
    > PatSPage@Hotmail.com
    > 760.363.0062

    Primary and secondary are determined by what IDE connector on the board the
    cable is connected to. Assuming there are 2 connectors. If there is only one
    connector, it may be that it's hardwired to be a secondary.

    And just in case you're confusing primary/secondary with master/slave, those
    setting are controlled by jumpers on the drive, and if you chose cable
    select, it then is controlled by the position on the cable.

    Last, there's probably no compelling reason for a drive to be on the primary
    as opposed the secondary, especially considering you have Windows already
    installed.

    Is there some problem you're having, or is this just some sort of
    housekeeping issue you're trying to straighten out?

    The only exception is to use Premium Line numbers where you can make
    money by people phoning you at odd hours. Just ensure that there is a
    voice mail at the other end!!!

    peterk wrote:

    > I have no IDEA
    > But I would like to point out that posting your Email address with your
    > phone number and other personal info is not a good idea.
    > I am willing to bet that your Spam count will increase dramatically and so
    > will those lovely dinner hour sales calls.
    > Spoof your email address and remove other personal
    > information...........please!
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
    > faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
    > "Patrick Page" <patspage@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed to the point where Device Manager sees it and says it's
    > >working properly. At the moment of truth, when I connect my drives to the
    > >card and restart, Windows sees the drives as Secondary (not Primary) and
    > >hangs. How do I get the drives to be seen as primary?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patrick S Page
    > > PO Box 1212
    > > Morongo Valley, CA 92256-1212
    > >
    > > PatSPage@Hotmail.com
    > > 760.363.0062

Device Manager Controller Microsoft Windows XP