Win98 SE Problems

G

I am having MAJOR problems with Windows 98SE. It all started when I used the internet the kernel32.dll file kept causing illegal operations, so I though well fine, I'lll format and install windows 98SE again (Diffrent installation CD as well), and low and behold it happened again. So I changed to Windows ME, and the problems was fixed I could run the net and everything was great.

An upgrade to the computer then happened, so I yet again reinstalled windows as it is advisable when performing and upgrade, now I have a new problem... whenever I try and copy from one HDD to the other, the system just freezes. Can someone help me out???

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can you enumerate your hardware in detail please? Is this an Athlon based system?

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

The mainboard is an ASUS A7V, with an AMD Athlon 900. 2x64mb PC-133 Mhz Ram. 40x CD Rom, 8x4 Writer. Generic brand M-64 TNT2, Generic Sound card, and generic network card.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Just in case your getting random errors on an Athlon system in windows it might be overheating. Check that. I have no idea what your old system was, but this is just a tip.

Also, is your memory generic? Bad memory does bad things. I suppose you should let us know what your old system consisted of and what parts are the same.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

louis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Well, I have got the same problem and almost identical system. As soon as i use the internet there is a lot of corruption everywhere. Maps are being renamed, files being corrupted, registry not accessable. Thus major problems.Only remedy was to format and reinstall. tried al lot of things, but closed it down to Internet explorer (internet usage) after reformatting and installing about 6 times. now i don't use internet on this PC anymore and it works absolutely stable for 2 months now. Let's hope IE 6 wil tackle the problem. It's not the PROMISE drivers because the same occurred using normal IDE without these drivers, and it's not the VIA-drivers because the samething happenned not installing these drivers. So I think it has to do with Internet Explorer. Anybody else got any suggestions?

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Well, if you think it is IE, then try install Netscape 4.77 or Mozilla 0.9.1. They should work fine on your system especially Mozilla (they are a bit slower than IE but at least I can uninstall them). Anyway, try download the Mozilla first (the default version without Win embed should be your best choice). Unzip it and you can just start using it (don't even have to install it. this is the beauty of Mozilla). If the problem gone, then it is IE. If not, then it may very well because of your cpu temp or conflicts in your system. If you have Win2K, I would highly recommend install it since it run rock-solid stable. I got a wierd problem with my IE too. I cannot print anything from IE since I uninstall IE6 preview. It always give me Run time error (permission denied even I'm Administrator =)

louis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
Thanks for the suggestion about mozilla and netscape i'll certainly try that. Overheating is no problem the pc runs absolutely stable. Ít's the pc at my work and i use a rendering program wich puts some nice pressure on the processor. Also no probs using 3d-games during my luchbreak LOL. I'll try another browser and if that works well.....yeehaw.

louis

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
I installed Netscape Navigator 6.01 and everything runs fine, no errors, no disk corruption. So it definitely had something to do with Internet Explorer. No more microsoft browser for me. well... at least not on that PC. No probs on the 11 other pc's at my work, but they are all older configurations.

TRENDING THREADS