REQ: Back versions of MAME/XMAME

I am looking for the source code files to versions 0.36b10 - 0.36b16 of
official Mame. These are the versions of Mame with the Pong simulation
and the gambling machines emulation. The source files will probably be
named m36b##s.zip, and binaries m36b##b.zip. Any help in locating these
files would be greatly appreciated.

I am also searching for XMAME versions prior to v0.36b11, except for
v0.35.3. They are typically called xmame-0.##b##.#.tgz. These files can
also be found inside the Redhat Linux RPM source files which typically
contain an unaltered source archive along with RPM related files.

The pong simulation was removed after much discussion because it was
felt that it wasn't in the "spirit" of Mame. Pong had no CPU to
emulate or program to interpert, so the best you can do is a simulation
of the electronics. I don't recall why the gambling emulations were
removed, but I vaguely recall some dissent over the number of slot
machines being added. All of this happened 5-6 years ago so I don't
recall all the details.

In the last day I've managed to locate the binaries from
v0.36b10-v0.36b16 (very bare bones, I could only find the mame.exe
files themselves not the other files usually in the binary
distribution), but I'm still looking for the source code archives. I
also found versions 0.36b11 and 0.36b13 of XMAME. If anyone has earlier
versions please let me know.

Mame Fan wrote:

> These are the versions of Mame with the Pong simulation
> and the gambling machines emulation.

What is the Pong/gambling simulation, and why isn't it in current MAME?

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Rieker Flaik wrote:
> Mame Fan wrote:
>

>>These are the versions of Mame with the Pong simulation
>>and the gambling machines emulation.
>

> What is the Pong/gambling simulation, and why isn't it in current MAME?

MAME's goal is to emulate Arcade games and gambling games are not
strickly arcade games. Pong was a simulation and not emulation,
therefor it was removed.

--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Mame Fan Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> The pong simulation was removed after much discussion because it
> was felt that it wasn't in the "spirit" of Mame. Pong had no CPU
> to emulate or program to interpert, so the best you can do is a
> simulation of the electronics. I don't recall why the gambling
> emulations were removed, but I vaguely recall some dissent over
> the number of slot machines being added. All of this happened 5-6
> years ago so I don't recall all the details.

Pong was not the only 'simulation' removed either, Monoco GP, another
great game was removed for the same reason as Pong.

Nicola's words as to why Gambleing games have been removed:

"Some time ago I (Nicola) mistakenly removed Lotto Fun because I
thought it was a gambling machine. After some more careful
evaluation, it is evident that this is a game of skill, therefore it
is now supported again. This was my mistake and I apologize for that.

As a reminder, the exclusion of gambling machines is purely
technical, not moral or legal. Gambling machines are not video games,
and just like MAME doesn't support mechanical pinballs (but it
supports software pinballs), it also doesn't support gambling
machines (but it supports games with a gambling theme). Both
mechanical pinballs and gambling machines can be found in the same
places where video games are; this doesn't make them all the same
thing. The distinction between gambling machines and video games is
not arbitrary: gambling machines usually require more money to play
than a video game (e.g. 10 tokens to start), and they have settings
that allow the operator to decide how much of the money that comes in
should come out. No amount of skill can improve a player's chances of
winning: this is entirely predetermined by the machine."

--
David

MCR wrote:
> Rieker Flaik wrote:
>> Mame Fan wrote:
>>

>>> These are the versions of Mame with the Pong simulation
>>> and the gambling machines emulation.
>>

>> What is the Pong/gambling simulation, and why isn't it in current
>> MAME?
>
> MAME's goal is to emulate Arcade games and gambling games are not
> strickly arcade games. Pong was a simulation and not emulation,
> therefor it was removed.

If you want Pong I reccommend you go and find an Atari 2600 emulator and
play Pong on it. For the other machines, well, tough nuts. I don't play
those type games, and thus don't know how to emulate them. Maybe you could
try Googling it...or maybe even better keep your money in your pocket where
it belongs.

In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:

> MCR wrote:
>> Rieker Flaik wrote:

>>> What is the Pong/gambling simulation, and why isn't it in current
>>> MAME?
>>
>> MAME's goal is to emulate Arcade games and gambling games are not
>> strickly arcade games. Pong was a simulation and not emulation,
>> therefor it was removed.
>
> If you want Pong I reccommend you go and find an Atari 2600 emulator
> and play Pong on it. For the other machines, well, tough nuts. I don't
> play those type games, and thus don't know how to emulate them. Maybe
> you could try Googling it...or maybe even better keep your money in
> your pocket where it belongs.

???

Who are you replying to, and what do you mean: keep your money in your
pocket where it belongs?

1) Playing emulated 'fruit machines' does not cost any money, so your
money does stay in your pocket

2) If you keep your money in your pocket you can't buy beer, pay the
rent, buy groceries, etc... You need to take it out to use it (watch Lob
or Mark Ross come by to tell you what else you need to take out to
use...) and it does you no good in your pocket.

3) Your reply seems aimed at the OP and yet is seen in reply to MCR's
post, this makes your post irrelevant. In case you didn't see, the thread
went like this:

i) Mame Fan came asking for an older version of MAME which used to
include stuff that isn't included anymore.
ii) Rieker Flaik asked what simulation and gambling games were, a valid
question as far as I know
iii) MCR answers the question factually
iv) You come in and start spouting opinions and banalities that appear to
pass judgement on Mame Fan

I suggest you lurk a bit if you want to stick around, because there are
things about either this group or usenet plain and simple that you do not
seem to understand. Maybe pick a nym other than anonymous (a lot of
people filter that out from the get-go), and also you could head on over
to www.tombstones.org.uk to get a feel for what kind of people hang out
here, since most of the regs have their pic and some info posted up
there.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:
>

>> MCR wrote:

>>> MAME's goal is to emulate Arcade games and gambling games are not
>>> strickly arcade games. Pong was a simulation and not emulation,
>>> therefor it was removed.
>>
>> If you want Pong I reccommend you go and find an Atari 2600 emulator
>> and play Pong on it. For the other machines, well, tough nuts. I
>> don't play those type games, and thus don't know how to emulate
>> them. Maybe you could try Googling it...or maybe even better keep
>> your money in your pocket where it belongs.
>
> ???
>
> Who are you replying to, and what do you mean: keep your money in your
> pocket where it belongs?
>
> 1) Playing emulated 'fruit machines' does not cost any money, so your
> money does stay in your pocket
>
> 2) If you keep your money in your pocket you can't buy beer, pay the
> rent, buy groceries, etc... You need to take it out to use it (watch
> Lob or Mark Ross come by to tell you what else you need to take out to
> use...) and it does you no good in your pocket.
>
> 3) Your reply seems aimed at the OP and yet is seen in reply to MCR's
> post, this makes your post irrelevant. In case you didn't see, the
> thread went like this:
>
> i) Mame Fan came asking for an older version of MAME which used to
> include stuff that isn't included anymore.
> ii) Rieker Flaik asked what simulation and gambling games were, a
> valid question as far as I know
> iii) MCR answers the question factually
> iv) You come in and start spouting opinions and banalities that
> appear to pass judgement on Mame Fan
>
> I suggest you lurk a bit if you want to stick around, because there
> are things about either this group or usenet plain and simple that
> you do not seem to understand. Maybe pick a nym other than anonymous
> (a lot of people filter that out from the get-go), and also you could
> head on over to www.tombstones.org.uk to get a feel for what kind of
> people hang out here, since most of the regs have their pic and some
> info posted up there.
>
> *-) K.os

I misunderstood you a little bit. At first I thought you wanted to set up
your own gambling machine.

And I didn't mean keep your money in your pocket and not buy anything...I
meant it's foolish to gamble because 99% of the time you lose anyway.

In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:

> I misunderstood you a little bit. At first I thought you wanted to set
> up your own gambling machine.

You misunderstood me a lot, I only appeared in this thread after you
made your comments to MCR, who is not the OP. I am not the OP, MCR is
not the OP, Mame Fan is the OP.

> And I didn't mean keep your money in your pocket and not buy
> anything...I meant it's foolish to gamble because 99% of the time you
> lose anyway.

But gambling on a virtual machine in MAME wouldn't cost anything. I
brought it up because I found your comments here pretty sanctimonions,
from your reaction to perceived blasphemy to your comments in this
thread.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in
the sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some
vantage point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very
rude word" - D. N. Adams

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

K.os wrote:
Snipped

> i) Mame Fan came asking for an older version of MAME which used to
> include stuff that isn't included anymore.
> ii) Rieker Flaik asked what simulation and gambling games were, a valid
> question as far as I know
> iii) MCR answers the question factually
> iv) You come in and start spouting opinions and banalities that appear to
> pass judgement on Mame Fan
>
> I suggest you lurk a bit if you want to stick around, because there are
> things about either this group or usenet plain and simple that you do not
> seem to understand. Maybe pick a nym other than anonymous (a lot of
> people filter that out from the get-go), and also you could head on over
> to www.tombstones.org.uk to get a feel for what kind of people hang out
> here, since most of the regs have their pic and some info posted up
> there.
>
> *-) K.os

Thanks for straightening this one out K.os... I had to read my post to
make sure it wasnt something *I* said :)

Anyways Anonymous should change his nym.
--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

In a parallel universe, Anti-MCR said exactly the opposite of:

[snip]
> Thanks for straightening this one out K.os... I had to read my post to
> make sure it wasnt something *I* said :)

Glad to help!

> Anyways Anonymous should change his nym.

Agreed.

*-) K.os
--

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:
>
>> I misunderstood you a little bit. At first I thought you wanted to
>> set up your own gambling machine.
>
> You misunderstood me a lot, I only appeared in this thread after you
> made your comments to MCR, who is not the OP. I am not the OP, MCR is
> not the OP, Mame Fan is the OP.
>
>> And I didn't mean keep your money in your pocket and not buy
>> anything...I meant it's foolish to gamble because 99% of the time you
>> lose anyway.
>
> But gambling on a virtual machine in MAME wouldn't cost anything. I
> brought it up because I found your comments here pretty sanctimonions,
> from your reaction to perceived blasphemy to your comments in this
> thread.
>
> *-) K.os

All right. Now our little malentendu is fixed.

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-MCR said exactly the opposite of:
>
> [snip]
>> Thanks for straightening this one out K.os... I had to read my post
>> to make sure it wasnt something *I* said :)
>
> Glad to help!
>
>> Anyways Anonymous should change his nym.
>
> Agreed.
>
> *-) K.os

Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this important
Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want any confusion from
them--this guy is sending me his password to remotely log in to his system
via TightVNC and I don't want him to suddenly not trust me because I appear
as a different person. I'll change it to something more original
afterwards...I've already switched over on the IRC network.

In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:

[snip]
> Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this
> important Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want any
> confusion from them--this guy is sending me his password to remotely
> log in to his system via TightVNC and I don't want him to suddenly not
> trust me because I appear as a different person. I'll change it to
> something more original afterwards...I've already switched over on the
> IRC network.

It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas Kohlbach) is
in the same room as me.

*-) K.os
--

K.os wrote:

>>Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this
>>important Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want any
>>confusion from them--this guy is sending me his password to remotely
>>log in to his system via TightVNC and I don't want him to suddenly not
>>trust me because I appear as a different person. I'll change it to
>>something more original afterwards...I've already switched over on the
>>IRC network.
>
> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas Kohlbach) is
> in the same room as me.

LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.
--
FSogol

Anonymous wrote on 23. May 2005:

> K.os wrote:
>> In a parallel universe, Anti-Anonymous said exactly the opposite of:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this
>>> important Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want any
>>> confusion from them--this guy is sending me his password to remotely
>>> log in to his system via TightVNC and I don't want him to suddenly
>>> not trust me because I appear as a different person. I'll change it
>>> to something more original afterwards...I've already switched over
>>> on the IRC network.
>>
>> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas Kohlbach)
>> is in the same room as me.
>>
>> *-) K.os
>
> Is that actually true, or are you just saying that?

It's true. I'm visiting k.os here in Canada since a while.

I purchase two (broke the first) computers for me. The existing one
belongs to k.os. My computer (you can log in now) is a Linux box which
also is a router for k.os PC (Windows 2000).

> I plan to change it to AnonyMouse (I am a fan of the game Mappy, that might
> explain a bit) it will allow me to still remain anonymous, yet at the same
> time be distinguished from the anonymous-remailer posts occasionally found
> here.

Good idea.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

FSogol wrote on 23. May 2005:

> K.os wrote:
>

>>>Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this
>>>important Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want any
>>>confusion from them--this guy is sending me his password to remotely
>>>log in to his system via TightVNC and I don't want him to suddenly not
>>>trust me because I appear as a different person. I'll change it to
>>>something more original afterwards...I've already switched over on the
>>> IRC network.
>> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas
>> Kohlbach) is in the same room as me.
>>
> LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.

Unfortunately died. :-(
--

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>>LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.
>
> Unfortunately died. :-(

Bummer.
--
FSogol

FSogol wrote:
> K.os wrote:
>

>>> Guys, I'm going to change my name after I can finish up with this
>>> important Usent conversation I have going elsewhere. I don't want
>>> any confusion from them--this guy is sending me his password to
>>> remotely log in to his system via TightVNC and I don't want him to
>>> suddenly not trust me because I appear as a different person. I'll
>>> change it to something more original afterwards...I've already
>>> switched over on the IRC network.
>>
>> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas Kohlbach)
>> is in the same room as me.
>>
> LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.

I mean, it's hard to imagine both of you guys in the same room like that.

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> FSogol wrote on 23. May 2005:

>>> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas
>>> Kohlbach) is in the same room as me.
>>>
>> LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.
>
> Unfortunately died. :-(

What hamster?

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> FSogol wrote on 23. May 2005:

>>> It's OK, the guy you're doing the VNC thingy with (Andreas
>>> Kohlbach) is in the same room as me.
>>>
>> LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.
>
> Unfortunately died. :-(

Oh just in case you didn't notice I changed my nickname to AnonyMouse. I was
Anonymous.

AnonyMouse wrote on 23. May 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>>> LOL. He won't believe that. :) Tell him about the hampster.
>>
>> Unfortunately died. :-(
>
> What hamster?

The (old) hamster which lived in my room got sick and had to put to sleep
by a vet. :-(

F'up poster.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

AnonyMouse wrote on 23. May 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>>> What hamster?
>>
>> The (old) hamster which lived in my room got sick and had to put to
>> sleep by a vet. :-(
>>
>> F'up poster.
>
> Too bad. He must have been awfully cute.
>
> Maybe you could post a picture of him to the web and put the link here?

Was a she btw.

Though this is not the group for cute hamsters...

<http://home.arcor.de/ankman/eddie1.jpg>
<http://home.arcor.de/ankman/eddie2.jpg>
<http://home.arcor.de/ankman/eddie3.jpg>

F'up poster (please do not reply here, no hamster group :).
--

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> AnonyMouse wrote on 23. May 2005:
>>
>> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:

>>> Unfortunately died. :-(
>>
>> What hamster?
>
> The (old) hamster which lived in my room got sick and had to put to
> sleep by a vet. :-(
>
> F'up poster.

Too bad. He must have been awfully cute.

Maybe you could post a picture of him to the web and put the link here? I
know of a few image hosting services that offer just that, such as
www.imageshack.us and zexty.com. Personally the latter is my favorite. You
could always just post the hamster to there and put a picture link here. Or,
I shoudl say, the plain text link equivalent, a URL. :)