Disable shutdown button on PS2 keyboard

My PS2 keyboard has three buttons that I never use: shutdown, standby/sleep,
wake.

I keep accidentally hitting the shutdown button, my PC starts shutting down,
and I do not get to save my work. Is there a way to disable these keyboard
buttons, short of putting tape over them? Windows XP Pro SP2 with 4 users.
4 answers Last reply
More about disable shutdown button keyboard

    In news:%23NSawoKwFHA.2228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    SeaMaid <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > My PS2 keyboard has three buttons that I never use: shutdown,
    > standby/sleep, wake.
    >
    > I keep accidentally hitting the shutdown button, my PC starts
    > shutting down, and I do not get to save my work. Is there a way to
    > disable these keyboard buttons, short of putting tape over them?
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 with 4 users.

    Did your keyboard come with a CD that you used and installed the software to
    configure those buttons? Chances are that if it did that you will also be
    able to remove the functions or change them to something you might actually
    find valuable. My shutdown button is, for example, actually set to
    hibernate.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    No disk or CD came with the keyboard. Windows XP installed its own driver
    automatically.

    > In news:%23NSawoKwFHA.2228@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > SeaMaid <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> had this to say:

    >> My PS2 keyboard has three buttons that I never use: shutdown,
    >> standby/sleep, wake.
    >>
    >> I keep accidentally hitting the shutdown button, my PC starts
    >> shutting down, and I do not get to save my work. Is there a way to
    >> disable these keyboard buttons, short of putting tape over them?
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 with 4 users.
    >
    > Did your keyboard come with a CD that you used and installed the software
    > to configure those buttons? Chances are that if it did that you will also
    > be able to remove the functions or change them to something you might
    > actually find valuable. My shutdown button is, for example, actually set
    > to hibernate.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
    > trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
    > come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    You can use the Scan code snapper to disable this key. See details here

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx

    I have the scancode for the sleep/power key on my site at
    http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "SeaMaid" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My PS2 keyboard has three buttons that I never use: shutdown,
    > standby/sleep, wake.
    >
    > I keep accidentally hitting the shutdown button, my PC starts shutting
    > down, and I do not get to save my work. Is there a way to disable these
    > keyboard buttons, short of putting tape over them? Windows XP Pro SP2 with
    > 4 users.

    Thanks, but I do not understand. This is too technical for me. I will just
    cover the 3 keys with tape.

    "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > You can use the Scan code snapper to disable this key. See details here
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx
    >
    > I have the scancode for the sleep/power key on my site at
    > http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html
    >
    > --
    > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >
    > "SeaMaid" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> My PS2 keyboard has three buttons that I never use: shutdown,
    >> standby/sleep, wake.
    >>
    >> I keep accidentally hitting the shutdown button, my PC starts shutting
    >> down, and I do not get to save my work. Is there a way to disable these
    >> keyboard buttons, short of putting tape over them? Windows XP Pro SP2
    >> with 4 users.

PlayStation Shutdown Keyboards Windows XP