Thinking about this MB/Processor combo - comments?

http://tinyurl.com/4emra

Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.

Keep in mind these are Canadian Prices. (I'm in Eastern Canada).

Thanks.

RRT
6 answers Last reply
More about thinking processor combo comments

    Be careful with Tiger Direct rebates. They are notoriously slow and need
    hounding.
    This is what I have heard when mentioning them in various forums. YMMV.

    "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >
    > Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.
    >
    > Keep in mind these are Canadian Prices. (I'm in Eastern Canada).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > RRT

    "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >
    > Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.
    >
    > Keep in mind these are Canadian Prices. (I'm in Eastern Canada).
    >
    > Thanks.

    I would go for the Athlon 64 3200+ and the same m/b for a rebate free price
    of $415 from NCIX. Never had a bad experience with them. Can't say the same
    for Tigerdirect. ATIC does not seem to be dealing in Socket 939 A64's, and
    their payment policy is just plain stupid. No cc or Paypal.

    "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >
    > Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.
    >
    > Keep in mind these are Canadian Prices. (I'm in Eastern Canada).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > RRT

    Be very careful of this offer, and of Tiger Direct in general. There have
    been numerous complaints about this combination, as (according to reports)
    the processor requires a BIOS revision not on the motherboard as delivered.
    You end up with a chicken-egg scenario where you can't boot with that CPU
    until you flash to a later BIOS version, but you can't flash unless you can
    boot.
    AFAIK, only Tiger Direct sold this combination. Other vendors, such as
    Newegg, refused to sell the 3400+ 939 unless with *certain* motherboards
    (because, I suspect, they knew of the problem) and don't even carry the
    3400+ (939) now.
    You also might want to try to find this OEM CPU for sale on the web. I don't
    think you will, as the 3500+ (2.2 GHz Socket 939) is the readily available
    CPU that does not have the issues of the 3400+.
    Here's a sample post from a dissatisfied customer:
    <quote>
    TigerDirect sold
    2300 of the A8V boards bundled w/the 3400 in the last 10 days. MOST of
    them are coming back. So go try a Gigabyte, or Abit or something. I'm
    currently looking for a 939 gaming board, and this time I'm not going
    to play a cheap ass - I'll pay the xtra $$ and get a known working MB.

    The net is full of angry posters over this issue. And it's going to
    get a whole lot worse. If you've got one - then I suggest you just
    send it back and get something else. If you've got one and it works,
    then you'll be getting other voice messages like "overclocking is
    illegal - system failed tests".
    </quote>

    and a response:
    <quote>
    IIRC, this may be an issue with that particular processor. Interestingly, I
    cannot find a Socket 939 3400+ for sale today, after searching NewEgg,
    MWave, ZipZoomFly and throughout Pricewatch.
    I seem to recall that CPU being listed by NewEgg previously with the caveat
    that it *must be purchased* with certain motherboards. I can only conclude
    that NewEgg was aware of compatibility issues with that specific OEM CPU.
    Sounds to me like TigerDirect (interesting reputation on resellerratings,
    BTW), got a "deal" on this CPU, ignored warnings and testing and sold
    problematic combinations.
    My A8V has been great from first power on with a 3200+ Winchester running at
    2.4 GHz. I'm there are tens of thousands of happy A8V owners with similar
    results.
    So, how is this an Asus problem? Sounds like (yet another) TigerDirect
    problem.
    </quote>

    "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    > http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >
    > Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.

    This is the same deal from Tigerdirect USA.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sourceid=qIa2Qg5CKA8mAmMVXhIT&siteid=0040047966&CMP=AFC-AFFIL&sku=MBM-A8VD-3400&afsrc=1

    Except in the US it goes for $279.99USD with rebate. From Tigerdirect.ca
    it's $413Cdn with rebate. $279.99USD is $345.83Cdn at todays exchange rate.
    Now one would expect a $5-10 agreement with this at their Cdn outlet. Yet we
    find Tigerdirect.ca is charging an additional $70 over current exchange
    rate.
    Given their track record with rebates, and the questionable stability or
    usability of this CPU with this motherboard, I would not do it.

    "zephyris" <zephyris@telus.net> wrote in message

    > "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >>
    >> Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video card.

    You also might want to read the second comment down on this page about that
    particular m/b and CPU combo from tigerdirect.ca. It's worthwhile reading
    the other comments about their business practices and customer service.

    Top Secret wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/4emra
    >
    > Present system is AMD Athlon 2100+, 1GB 233 Ram, ATI 9800 Pro video
    > card.
    > Keep in mind these are Canadian Prices. (I'm in Eastern Canada).
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > RRT

    Thanks all! It's always a treat to post here.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Processors