Dan wrote:
> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
> Beware!
>
> Dan

I bought a whole load of components from them a while back when I wanted
to build an Athlon 64 based system. Total cost was about £600, ordered
it ok, and then waited, and waited.

Credit Card statement arrived inbetween ordering parts and recieving
them and found that they had charged my card on the day I'd placed the
order. I rang up to complain, only to be told it was standard policy to
take payment before shipping any goods to a customer.

Part of the reason for the delay I found out was that the memory I had
ordered was out of stock, however no one at Overclockers.co.uk thought
to contact me with a suitable replacement. I eventually got them to
substitute an alternative part but I had to do all the chasing and
calling.

My order was shipped around two weeks after placing it, which from
hearing about the experiences of other people is quite good for
overclockers.co.uk

On delivery the I had problems getting the memory and the mainboard to
run without rebooting, sometime it would run for half a day, sometimes
it would reboot within minutes of switching on. Trying to contact their
support department was painful. No one appeared to answer the phones at
first and emails were only responded to late in the afternoon. This did
improve eventually and Overclockers.co.uk did eventually provide me with
the information I needed to setup the motherboard and memory to run
correctly.

Would I order from them again? Possibly, as at least I know how they
operate now, however I would be hesitant about placing a large order
with them again. I do not like their policy of taking money first
without shipping any goods. If like me, any of their parts are out,
they've already taken your money and while I have no doubt that they
will eventually ship your order this policy of taking money first runs
contrary to my experiences of all other on-line establishments who take
their money on shipment of goods.

--
JasonB

To reply replace NoSpam4Me with Blueyonder

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am
> regretting it.
> Beware!

Yes, probably £3-4k over the last couple of years, never had any
major problems. Almost everything I've ordered was delivered the
next working day, and the odd items I've had to rma were sorted
out within two weeks.

You may have to 'hold' for 15-20 minutes to talk to them, but most
'cheap' component suppliers are the same or worse to contact.

--
Ian

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
> Beware!

decent enough, just pray you don't have to RMA anything...
(spent 2 weeks trying to phone/fax, finally got response today)

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>> Beware!
>
> decent enough, just pray you don't have to RMA anything...
> (spent 2 weeks trying to phone/fax, finally got response today)

Customer services are close to non-existant and although money can be
debited before items have left the warehouse there are plenty of companies
who wont. I would not use them again, just not worth the hassle if something
goes wrong.

BillL

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
> Beware!
>
> Dan

Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i ordered came next
day on standard delivery. Never had to rma anything back but if they`re
anything like ebuyer i pray i don`t have to.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am
>> regretting it.
>> Beware!
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i
> ordered came next day on standard delivery. Never had to rma
> anything back but if they`re anything like ebuyer i pray i
> don`t have to.

I haven't bought from overclockers.co.uk, but if people are put
off from them by reading this and want to try somewhere else, I
can say I have bought a few things from scan.co.uk. In
comparison with overclockers, for the things I wanted to buy at
the time, there was almost nothing to choose between the two
shops on price. In my first order I had a fan fail to turn, I
informed scan and they sent another FOC, next-day delivery
without having to send the other one back. Six or eight months
later one of the discs I bought stopped working. The support
people told me where to download a diagnostic, and once I had
the fault code agreed to accept the return the same day. The
elapsed time from the disc breaking to me having a new one
(again delivered FOC next-day) was 3 days. While the fact that
they shipped two faulty items in my first order may be a strange
basis on which to recommend a shop, the way they dealt with it
was very good, I thought. I have since ordered more stuff from
there and had it delivered very promptly with no need to return
anything.

Neil

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>> Beware!
>>

> Yes, probably £3-4k over the last couple of years, never had any major
> problems. Almost everything I've ordered was delivered the next working
> day, and the odd items I've had to rma were sorted out within two weeks.
>
> You may have to 'hold' for 15-20 minutes to talk to them, but most 'cheap'
> component suppliers are the same or worse to contact.

Rubbish.
Ebuyer RMA's can be obtained online, unlike OC'sUK - no national rate phone
number, just a normal RMA procedure.
Same for DABS.
Oh, and you'll have to wait months for a refund - and threaten legal action
to get your money back.
Otherwise they just laugh at you.
Their prices may be low, but God help you if you need to sort any kind of a
problem out - you'll be tearing your hair out.
The other ones not to use are PCWorld Component Centre.
Their packaging is a JOKE and they take 10 days to answer ANY kind of
e-mail, plus there's no phone number or postal address.
NEVER EVER use PCW CC !

> --
> Ian

"Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>> Beware!
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i ordered came
> next day on standard delivery.

Big deal.
What matters is how things go when problems arise.

Never had to rma anything back but if they`re
> anything like ebuyer i pray i don`t have to.

Ebuyer's prolly THE best PC e-tailer there is.
The RMA process is a model for all others to aspire to.

"Neil" <neil@chapellane69.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>>> Beware!
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i ordered came
>> next day on standard delivery. Never had to rma anything back but if
>> they`re anything like ebuyer i pray i don`t have to.
>
> I haven't bought from overclockers.co.uk, but if people are put off from
> them by reading this and want to try somewhere else, I can say I have
> bought a few things from scan.co.uk. In comparison with overclockers, for
> the things I wanted to buy at the time, there was almost nothing to choose
> between the two shops on price. In my first order I had a fan fail to
> turn, I informed scan

I found Scan's attitude on faulty parts utterly APPALLING !

Forum User wrote:

>> Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i ordered
>> came next day on standard delivery.
>
> Big deal.
> What matters is how things go when problems arise.
>
> Never had to rma anything back but if they`re
>> anything like ebuyer i pray i don`t have to.
>
> Ebuyer's prolly THE best PC e-tailer there is.
> The RMA process is a model for all others to aspire to.

Ebuyer are the reason that I will never again deal with a company that does
not publish a telephone number. A pity, really, as up until they screwed up
my last order I'd have recommended them. But that's true of just about all
of these retailers - it's not until you have to send something back that you
find out what they're really like.

And of course everyone is going to have a different story to tell.

My preference these days is for http://www.novatech.co.uk though I have also
used Overclockers recently, without a problem.

--

/mel/

While we're on the subject of rip off retailers, what does everyone thonk of
micro direct?

http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?303

--
Derek

"Dan" wrote
> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
> Beware!

Hi,

well I have been using OC.co.uk for years (spent over £5000 easy) and they
are a great company. I have sent stuff back to them and it was sorted fine.
They are a massive company now and are only human so from time to time they
make mistakes (wrong parts packed).

Their support is great, although I understand it can be frustrating waiting
on the phone (and expensive!) so now I only used email, which always gets
answered the same day!

One thing they did for me recentley made a good impression, and that was
just before xmas I managed to *bork* a brand new RADEON 9800Pro. It had
been modded with permanent heatsinks, flashed to an XT and overclocked. One
day it just stopped working so I RMA'ed it back to OC.co.uk and they sent me
a brand new 9800 via Special-delivery in time for XMAS!!!!!

They get 9/10 for me, they would get 10/10 if they managed to get
*real-time* stock levels on their website!!

Wayne ][

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:54:23 +0000, Forum User wrote:

> "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>>> Beware!
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Never had a prob with `em. In fact last couple of things i ordered came
>> next day on standard delivery.
>
> Big deal.
> What matters is how things go when problems arise.
>
> Never had to rma anything back but if they`re
>> anything like ebuyer i pray i don`t have to.
>
> Ebuyer's prolly THE best PC e-tailer there is.
> The RMA process is a model for all others to aspire to.

i had to return a part under warranty an after waiting 2 months and
sending 2 enotes for an rma no so i could ship it to them they canceled my
request without any explanation or email to say why. i sent a new rma
request calling them criminals and liars and the rma was authorised within
45 minutes.

i will now pay substanialy more for a local shop then an etailer with a
phone number, only if its realy hard to get hold of will i consider a
company with no means of contact but electronic.

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Dan" wrote
>> Has anyone ordered from these guys before? I have and am regretting it.
>> Beware!
>

> Hi,
>
> well I have been using OC.co.uk for years (spent over £5000 easy) and they
> are a great company. I have sent stuff back to them and it was sorted
> fine.
> They are a massive company now and are only human so from time to time
> they
> make mistakes (wrong parts packed).
>
> Their support is great, although I understand it can be frustrating
> waiting
> on the phone (and expensive!) so now I only used email, which always gets
> answered the same day!
>
> One thing they did for me recentley made a good impression, and that was
> just before xmas I managed to *bork* a brand new RADEON 9800Pro. It had
> been modded with permanent heatsinks, flashed to an XT and overclocked.
> One
> day it just stopped working so I RMA'ed it back to OC.co.uk and they sent
> me
> a brand new 9800 via Special-delivery in time for XMAS!!!!!
>
> They get 9/10 for me, they would get 10/10 if they managed to get
> *real-time* stock levels on their website!!
>
> Wayne ][

Last time I tried OCuK didn't have an email only a phone number - have
things changed ib the last couple of weeks?

BillL

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> well I have been using OC.co.uk for years (spent over £5000 easy) and they
> are a great company. I have sent stuff back to them and it was sorted
> fine.
> They are a massive company now and are only human so from time to time
> they
> make mistakes (wrong parts packed).
>
> Their support is great, although I understand it can be frustrating
> waiting
> on the phone (and expensive!) so now I only used email, which always gets
> answered the same day!
>
> One thing they did for me recentley made a good impression, and that was
> just before xmas I managed to *bork* a brand new RADEON 9800Pro. It had
> been modded with permanent heatsinks, flashed to an XT and overclocked.
> One
> day it just stopped working so I RMA'ed it back to OC.co.uk and they sent
> me
> a brand new 9800 via Special-delivery in time for XMAS!!!!!
>
> They get 9/10 for me, they would get 10/10 if they managed to get
> *real-time* stock levels on their website!!
>
> Wayne ][

LOL you must be working for them.

Anyway as normal thought i must put my thoughts in here.

I live about a mile away from them, they maybe a massive "etailer" but they
operate out of a unit on a very small business park. Go in on anyday and you
will be waiting for about 15 minutes at least to get served, they only ever
have one person operating the desk so a big queue forms very easily.
Saturday don't even bother unless your first in or squeeze in before they
close the doors.

I heard a senior customer service guy after putting the phone down say to
his mate after the custermor on the phone obviously said he'd drive down and
sort them "i'd like to see him try". After a response mentioning this on
another forum i had a nice email off the owner saying that he would try and
sort out the desk problems and talk to his "customer support". To his credit
it did change for a while.

Problems i've had with them are

IBM deathstar drive died after six months they palmed me off sending it back
to hitachi/IBM, four of these drives died and so i will never buy
IBM/hitachi drives ever again.

17" TFT hitachi monitor went pop after four hours, they told me at first it
had a 3 year on site warranty phone hitachi, told them bollocks give me a
new one or i'm straight up trading standards. They did.

Maxtor drive died , had to quote sale of goods act and took a copy in with
me before they would replace it (4 days old)

OCZ platinum memory after 8 months found to be faulty, gave me a new pair
without a problem.

Twinmos memory caused problems in an nForce board and they exchanged that
after much testing.

I have bought a large amount of items off Overclockers and 99% works great,
its just a pity that the with the tiny percentage of returns i had problems
60% of the time.

Overall if it was mail order i'm not sure i would take the risk but being
local i can kick up a fuss in person.

Bri

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Neil" <neil@chapellane69.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "I found Scan's response to faulty parts excellent"
>
> I found Scan's attitude on faulty parts utterly APPALLING !

Which just goes to show how useless this thread is. Almost
every shop mentioned has had someone say their experience was
very good, and another who says theirs was the worst treatment
they've ever had. It does seem to me, that all the shops have
had more positive comments than negative, but apart from that
maybe it's just luck.

Neil

> "Forum User" <forum_user@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Neil" <neil@chapellane69.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "I found Scan's response to faulty parts excellent"
>>
>> I found Scan's attitude on faulty parts utterly APPALLING !
>>

> Which just goes to show how useless this thread is. Almost every shop
> mentioned has had someone say their experience was very good, and another
> who says theirs was the worst treatment they've ever had. It does seem to
> me, that all the shops have had more positive comments than negative, but
> apart from that maybe it's just luck.

Take it from someone who's bought from them all - and buys a LOT of parts
every year, the order from best to worst is : -

Ebuyer - easy RMA'ing, good prices.
Dabs - some minor downsides, but never any quibbling.
Scan - OK generally, but they're quibblers.
OC's-UK - Good pricing, but that's totally eclipsed by the
next-to-impossible RMA process.

> Neil

"Forum User" wrote
> Ebuyer - easy RMA'ing, good prices.
> Dabs - some minor downsides, but never any quibbling.
> Scan - OK generally, but they're quibblers.
> OC's-UK - Good pricing, but that's totally eclipsed by the
> next-to-impossible RMA process.

Hi,

it's like this, some of us like OC.co.uk and some of us don't. Like I said
I did a fair bit of business with them and have always been looked after.

I also use eBuyer, good company for sure. I never had to return anything to
eBuyer.

If you have a problem with anything from OC.co.uk then it should be a fairly
easy process to get an RMA issued via email.

I think it would be better to also have some kinda online RMA process, but I
don't think its such a big deal as your making it out to be?

Wayne ][

> "Forum User" wrote
>> Ebuyer - easy RMA'ing, good prices.
>> Dabs - some minor downsides, but never any quibbling.
>> Scan - OK generally, but they're quibblers.
>> OC's-UK - Good pricing, but that's totally eclipsed by the
>> next-to-impossible RMA process.
>

> Hi,
>
> it's like this, some of us like OC.co.uk and some of us don't. Like I
> said
> I did a fair bit of business with them and have always been looked after.
>
> I also use eBuyer, good company for sure. I never had to return anything
> eBuyer.
>
> If you have a problem with anything from OC.co.uk then it should be a
> fairly
> easy process to get an RMA issued via email.

Their pages states explicitly that you CANNOT initiate an RMA via e-mail -
which leaves snail-mail or the perma-engaged 'support' line.

> I think it would be better to also have some kinda online RMA process, but
> don't think its such a big deal as your making it out to be?

a) - You're either lying or ignorant of the facts (see preceding point).
b) - You've clearly never had to return anything to them - or you'd be
spitting blood, like me.
c) - You've never had to try and get a refund out of them - or you'd be
apoplectic after 4 months of trying to get your money back.
d) - I think you either work for them or you're just a troll.

> Wayne ][

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

> Question is, why treat me so well with freebies etc and totally
> piss
> you off Forum User ?

Attitude ;-)

--
Ian

>Well I gotta say that's the first time I've heard a wage-packet described as
>freebies.
>Heh ... but there you go, a new one every day !

And it's the first time this Friday I've refused to talk a pig into a
ham sandwich. but I will, I'll let you take your corrosive discontents
and confusions and go cry somewhere else.

Your endlessly rewritten attempts at embracery are a monumental
misjudgment of the people in this group, and merely serve to underline
your facile and pedestrian arguments.

The sheer squalor of your continuing rant is either 'La maladie de fin
de siecle' or a signpost of consummate feminity.

¸ô¶ó

N.B.

Articulated repetition is a deceptively competent and powerful
tectonic weapon - just not when your keyboard is on the trigger !

I recommend Immodium.