billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

i've just bought my pc. rather than having back up disc, it is already
installed on Hp recovery drive which takes up about 95% on the hard drive. i
know you can delete this once i have a back up disc. cab anyone tel me how i
can delete the contenrs on this drive as they are no longer required.

Billy
You might want to make sure that your Backup Disc works as expected before
getting rid of the Recovery drive.
I find it incredulous that this recovery partition would take up 95% of your
HD space.........or does it take up 95% of that partition??
By formatting the partition all of the files would be gone and the space
would be usable but in order to add this partition to the partition that XP
is using you would need 3rd party software..........and back up your entire
XP partition before using this software.
Have a look under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer
management/Disk management and see what shows for disks and partitions.
The other danger might be that if you do need to "recover" running the
program will wipe out what you are trying to achieve and set it back to how
you purchased it.........2 partitions one with all of the programs and the
2nd wiped clean.

peterk

--
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
"Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i've just bought my pc. rather than having back up disc, it is already
> installed on Hp recovery drive which takes up about 95% on the hard drive.
> know you can delete this once i have a back up disc. cab anyone tel me
> how i
> can delete the contenrs on this drive as they are no longer required.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

it recomends getting cd back up in the manual. it advises to get a copy
before anything happens to the computer. you can only take one copy and the
computer remembers once it has been copied. i have already rebooted my
computer and they work. i now want to remove this from the drive as advised
in the manual. it is useless being ther because i can't do nothing with it.

"Billy" wrote:

> i've just bought my pc. rather than having back up disc, it is already
> installed on Hp recovery drive which takes up about 95% on the hard drive. i
> know you can delete this once i have a back up disc. cab anyone tel me how i
> can delete the contenrs on this drive as they are no longer required.

You just bought a HP computer. This means a large modern drive. The HP
recovery drive takes up 95% of this new "large" drive? I don't think it
takes up even 5% of the drive. Leave the recovery information alone.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i've just bought my pc. rather than having back up disc, it is already
> installed on Hp recovery drive which takes up about 95% on the hard drive.
> know you can delete this once i have a back up disc. cab anyone tel me
> how i
> can delete the contenrs on this drive as they are no longer required.

Ok........so go to it
Do a google for BooItNG....download and extract to a floppy.
read the readme file...better print it out and follow the instruction
carefully to add that recovery partition to the XP partition and create one
big partition.
OR.........leave it as a seperate partition,format the present files off it
and use it as a data partition.You can install new programs onto that
partition by modifying the Install to section when it pops up during
installation.This would give you a partition where if something does go
wrong it would not be returned to factory specs and your data files would be
safe.
Have you looked at Adimistrative Tools/etc/etc ??????
peterk