Setting P1 Start as Enter Key (global setting) not working.

Mike

Splendid

I have been trying to set up the P1 Start button as my enter key on my
cabinet.

In Mame32, I have been going into Input (general), Player 1 Controls and
setting P1 Start as "Enter".

Yet every game I play I have to go into the Input (this game) settings and
change this as well.

Am I missing something here as to why this is not working as a global
change?

The reason I'm changing this is I'm using it as a Select Button for other
Programs I am running on my Cabinet as well as my front end uses "enter" for
game selection and moving through groups of games.

"Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have been trying to set up the P1 Start button as my enter key on my
> cabinet.
>
> In Mame32, I have been going into Input (general), Player 1 Controls and
> setting P1 Start as "Enter".
>
> Yet every game I play I have to go into the Input (this game) settings
> and change this as well.
>
> Am I missing something here as to why this is not working as a global
> change?
>
> The reason I'm changing this is I'm using it as a Select Button for
> other Programs I am running on my Cabinet as well as my front end uses
> "enter" for game selection and moving through groups of games.

Maybe try deleting default.cfg (in the CFG folder) and/or making sure that
the file eventually used is not set to Read-Only.

I haven't changed any default folder settings and looking through the
default.cfg file, P1 Start button shows one line as a default button
and then right under that a second line that shows that it's linked to
the enter key.

So to me it looks correct but it is not applying on any games I play...

I had over 800 cfgs in the folder from playing games over the past 6
months. I deleted every file out of there thinking it had something to
do with existing cfg files...and it was totally empty whenever i
restarted Mame...

I'm at a loss...maybe I should try contacting one of the Mame32
developers and see what they might say.

innocent_lamb wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:22:08 +0000, Mike wrote:
>
> > I deleted every file out of the cfg folder and
> > default.cfg isn't read only.
>
> Are you sure the cfg folder itself (or its parent folder) isn't read
only?

Mike

Splendid

I tried that already...I deleted every file out of the cfg folder and
default.cfg isn't read only.

"Hung N" <find@my.crack> wrote in message
> "Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I have been trying to set up the P1 Start button as my enter key on my
>> cabinet.
>>
>> In Mame32, I have been going into Input (general), Player 1 Controls and
>> setting P1 Start as "Enter".
>>
>> Yet every game I play I have to go into the Input (this game) settings
>> and change this as well.
>>
>> Am I missing something here as to why this is not working as a global
>> change?
>>
>> The reason I'm changing this is I'm using it as a Select Button for
>> other Programs I am running on my Cabinet as well as my front end uses
>> "enter" for game selection and moving through groups of games.
>
> Maybe try deleting default.cfg (in the CFG folder) and/or making sure that
> the file eventually used is not set to Read-Only.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:22:08 +0000, Mike wrote:

> I deleted every file out of the cfg folder and
> default.cfg isn't read only.

Are you sure the cfg folder itself (or its parent folder) isn't read only?

Mike

Splendid

Got it working finally...turns out you have to set the P1 Start in "Other
Controls" in order for the Global P1 Start to work.

"Moparmaniac" <mrodick@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I haven't changed any default folder settings and looking through the
> default.cfg file, P1 Start button shows one line as a default button
> and then right under that a second line that shows that it's linked to
> the enter key.
>
> So to me it looks correct but it is not applying on any games I play...
>
> I had over 800 cfgs in the folder from playing games over the past 6
> months. I deleted every file out of there thinking it had something to
> do with existing cfg files...and it was totally empty whenever i
> restarted Mame...
>
> I'm at a loss...maybe I should try contacting one of the Mame32
> developers and see what they might say.
>

> innocent_lamb wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 May 2005 12:22:08 +0000, Mike wrote:
>>
>> > I deleted every file out of the cfg folder and
>> > default.cfg isn't read only.
>>
>> Are you sure the cfg folder itself (or its parent folder) isn't read
> only?

where is "Other Controls"?

"Kelly Ray" <starwarsroomspam@comcast.net> wrote in

> where is "Other Controls"?
>

> "Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Got it working finally...turns out you have to set the P1 Start in
>> "Other Controls" in order for the Global P1 Start to work.

I'll second that question, and add another: what version and build of MAME32
are you using?

Other Controls menu is under the Input (General) menu at the very
bottom. I assume from looking at the set up and actually working in
Mame ,that it is what controls the Global Player Start Input as well as
the Player Coin Inputs along with Volume, and Service Functions.

I'm running MAME32 build 96u2.