Wireless Network Icon

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need to configure my wireless network but cant. When I open up the network
connections the only one shown is my Loacal area Connections. How do I
install the wireless network Icon?

Malke

Brad wrote:

> I need to configure my wireless network but cant. When I open up the
> network connections the only one shown is my Loacal area Connections.
> How do I install the wireless network Icon?

Do you have wireless hardware? If you have a laptop, is the wireless
enabled? Most modern laptops have a way to enable/disable the wireless
connection via a button or switch on the laptop case. If this is your
situation, is the button on?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My Lap top dose not have a switch / button to turn it on or off, I do have a
a wireless not book adapter card installed in my computer butthe instuction
to set it up tells me to co to "network connections" and and edit the
propoties on wireless network but I have no wireless networkicon showing.

"Malke" wrote:

> Brad wrote:
>
> > I need to configure my wireless network but cant. When I open up the
> > network connections the only one shown is my Loacal area Connections.
> > How do I install the wireless network Icon?
>
> Do you have wireless hardware? If you have a laptop, is the wireless
> enabled? Most modern laptops have a way to enable/disable the wireless
> connection via a button or switch on the laptop case. If this is your
> situation, is the button on?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Brad wrote:

> My Lap top dose not have a switch / button to turn it on or off, I do
> have a a wireless not book adapter card installed in my computer
> butthe instuction to set it up tells me to co to "network connections"
> and and edit the propoties on wireless network but I have no wireless
> networkicon showing.

1. Does Device Manager show the wireless nic installed?
2. Does the wireless nic come with its own connectivity management
software?
3. What operating system are you running? If you are running XP, is
Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service running? If not, turn it
on.

Malke
--

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Brad wrote:
>
>> I need to configure my wireless network but cant. When I open up the
>> network connections the only one shown is my Loacal area Connections.

There is no wireless network icon on any of my wireless nodes that are using
windows built in wireless networking, only the local area connection is
listed on the top level network connections menu so your results sound
normal. Open the local area connection. Right click it, select properties,
on next menu select configure for your wireless card. After that you'll see
a wireless network tab. Take it from there.