HD free space wrong after deleting large files

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Free Space
  • HD
  • Windows XP
September 29, 2005 10:07:07 AM

I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free space
as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I had
to reformat that to restore proper free space.

Any suggestions.? Thanks.

Scott

More about : free space wrong deleting large files

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:22:15 PM

When you delete files in Windows, the file name is sent to the Recycle Bin
first. After, when the Recycle Bin's limit (size usually) is reach, XP will
start to clear the contents of the Recycle Bin. You can empty the Recycle
Bin anytime by Right Clicking on the icon and select 'Empty...."

"ssswilson" <ssswilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
> deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free
> space
> as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I
> had
> to reformat that to restore proper free space.
>
> Any suggestions.? Thanks.
>
> Scott
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:16:26 AM

"ssswilson" <ssswilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
> deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free
space
> as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I
had
> to reformat that to restore proper free space.
>
> Any suggestions.? Thanks.
>
> Scott

Try emptying your Recycle Bin instead of formatting your
partition (Right-click it, then click Empty . . .).
!