HD free space wrong after deleting large files

I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free space
as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I had
to reformat that to restore proper free space.

Any suggestions.? Thanks.

Scott
2 answers Last reply
More about free space wrong deleting large files

    When you delete files in Windows, the file name is sent to the Recycle Bin
    first. After, when the Recycle Bin's limit (size usually) is reach, XP will
    start to clear the contents of the Recycle Bin. You can empty the Recycle
    Bin anytime by Right Clicking on the icon and select 'Empty...."

    "ssswilson" <ssswilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
    > deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free
    > space
    > as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I
    > had
    > to reformat that to restore proper free space.
    >
    > Any suggestions.? Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

    "ssswilson" <ssswilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an WD 80G HD which showed used and free space accurately. I just
    > deleted 2 files about 15 gigs each, but it still reports the same free
    space
    > as before I deleted the files. This happend also on a partition and I
    had
    > to reformat that to restore proper free space.
    >
    > Any suggestions.? Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

    Try emptying your Recycle Bin instead of formatting your
    partition (Right-click it, then click Empty . . .).

Western Digital Free Space HD Windows XP