Power supply

Here's the max specs.
32A@+3.3v
32A@+5v
26A@+12v
1A@-5v
1A@-12v
2.2A@+5vsb

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VxA=W?
So then the watts would be roughly 100, 160, 312, 5, 12, 11, for a total
of 600W. Is this correct?

Yet the specs say that the combined max output of +3.3 and +5v is
185Watts, and the PSU is a 350W max ouput.

So what do the rail ratings really mean? If you use all 312W of +12v, you
only have 38W left to split between the other voltages?

Now I have another PSU with these max specs.
32A@+3.3v
40A@+5v
24A@+12v
..5A@-5v
1A@-12v
2A@+5vsb

So then the watts would be roughly 100, 200, 288, 2.5, 12, 10, for a
total of 612.5W. Now this PSU is rated for 550W, so what's up with it?

Which would you want?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:02:07 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

> Here's the max specs.
> 32A@+3.3v
> 32A@+5v
> 26A@+12v
> 1A@-5v
> 1A@-12v
> 2.2A@+5vsb
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VxA=W?
> So then the watts would be roughly 100, 160, 312, 5, 12, 11, for a total
> of 600W. Is this correct?
>
> Yet the specs say that the combined max output of +3.3 and +5v is
> 185Watts, and the PSU is a 350W max ouput.
>
> So what do the rail ratings really mean?

They're all bollocks - bullshit, whatever. You think computer PS
manufacture's are stretching the truth with wattage ratings? - you
should see the home audio industry, now there's a load of used car
salesmen if ever there was!

I suspect one should take all these ratings with a grain of salt. They are
probably all absolute max ratings, under ideal conditions, when the other
rails are not being used! I really think the only way to choose a power
supply these days is based on word-of-mouth for reliability. There are
probably loads of different power supplies rated from 300-500 watts which
put out more or less the same power.

Larry Gagnon

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Indeed. I have a 600W power-supply and it only put out 17amps on the 12v
rail!

However it's stable in my setup.

Dan