Complete, utter newbie

That's how I feel, anyway.

Been running my system for a few weeks now, and have been skirting around
the idea of an overclock. System;

Abit AV8 3rdEye
Athlon 64 3000+ S939 (Winchester)
1024Mb Geil DDR500
BFG 6600GT OC
123Gb Hitachi Deathstar IDE
40Gb Maxtor IDE
Tagan TG-480-U01
Air cooling (3x 80mm fans, stock heatsink on CPU_

Everything runs nicely- the 6600GT in particular overclocks superbl.
However, I simply cannot overclock my CPU!

It seems as if changing the HTT above about 210 causes instability- dropping
the multiplier doesn't help. Having moved over from an old unlocked XP2600+,
this seems odd. Temps don't seem excessive either- I don't think i've seen
it get close to 50 degrees. I don't know much about this HTT stuff- any good
all-in-one guides to A64 overclocking? Anything glaringly stupid about what
i've said so far?

Martin

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:41:58 +0000, Martin Francis wrote:

> Abit AV8 3rdEye
> Athlon 64 3000+ S939 (Winchester)
>
> It seems as if changing the HTT above about 210 causes instability-
> dropping the multiplier doesn't help. Having moved over from an old
> unlocked XP2600+, this seems odd. Temps don't seem excessive either- I
> don't think i've seen it get close to 50 degrees. I don't know much about
> this HTT stuff- any good all-in-one guides to A64 overclocking? Anything
> glaringly stupid about what i've said so far?

Leave the multiplier alone. Lower both the base ram speed, and the HT link
speed (LDT speed). then raise system bus (external clock) speed to 233MHz.
Might need to raise vcore too. It's all in the bios. Once you get this
going you can play with it from there. Just remember that when you raise
the system bus you also raise the HT link and ram bus, so the higher you
raise one, the lower you may need to set the other(s).

http://www.hypertransport.org/consortium/cons_faqs.cfm

LORD

Try to lower the LDT multiplicator to 4x or 3x and relax timmings of your
ram. Try 2.5-3-3-7 or 3-4-4-8 and try now upping the HTT in small steps.

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> That's how I feel, anyway.
>
> Been running my system for a few weeks now, and have been skirting around
> the idea of an overclock. System;
>
> Abit AV8 3rdEye
> Athlon 64 3000+ S939 (Winchester)
> 1024Mb Geil DDR500
> BFG 6600GT OC
> 123Gb Hitachi Deathstar IDE
> 40Gb Maxtor IDE
> Tagan TG-480-U01
> Air cooling (3x 80mm fans, stock heatsink on CPU_
>
> Everything runs nicely- the 6600GT in particular overclocks superbl.
> However, I simply cannot overclock my CPU!
>
> It seems as if changing the HTT above about 210 causes instability-
> dropping the multiplier doesn't help. Having moved over from an old
> unlocked XP2600+, this seems odd. Temps don't seem excessive either- I
> don't think i've seen it get close to 50 degrees. I don't know much about
> this HTT stuff- any good all-in-one guides to A64 overclocking? Anything
> glaringly stupid about what i've said so far?
>
> Martin

Try increasing the vcore slightly.

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That's how I feel, anyway.
>
> Been running my system for a few weeks now, and have been skirting around
> the idea of an overclock. System;
>
> Abit AV8 3rdEye
> Athlon 64 3000+ S939 (Winchester)
> 1024Mb Geil DDR500
> BFG 6600GT OC
> 123Gb Hitachi Deathstar IDE
> 40Gb Maxtor IDE
> Tagan TG-480-U01
> Air cooling (3x 80mm fans, stock heatsink on CPU_
>
> Everything runs nicely- the 6600GT in particular overclocks superbl.
> However, I simply cannot overclock my CPU!
>
> It seems as if changing the HTT above about 210 causes instability-
> dropping the multiplier doesn't help. Having moved over from an old
> unlocked XP2600+, this seems odd. Temps don't seem excessive either- I
> don't think i've seen it get close to 50 degrees. I don't know much about
> this HTT stuff- any good all-in-one guides to A64 overclocking? Anything
> glaringly stupid about what i've said so far?
>
> Martin

TRENDING THREADS