Please - less heat & less fan noise

I have a 1 GHz Athlon in an Asus A7V266 Mobo. It runs pretty hot just doing
nothing. Like 48C at 750 MHz and 52C at 1000MHz with the fan going full
blast, the PC case wide open and the computer doing nothing. It even smells
hot. The temperature reading is the same from the BIOS utility and from
ASUS Probe utility. It has a CoolerMaster fan/heatsink assembly installed
with the thermal paste. I absolutely can't live with the noise of the CPU
fan any longer. I even have a variable resistor in series with it to slow
it down and reduce the noise. Believe it or not, cutting the fan RPMs by
40% doesn't affect the temperature much, but cuts the noise significantly. I
really HATE this fan noise. I know someone with a faster Athlon PC that
uses a Zalman heatsink without any fan (silent) that runs cooler than this
thing I have.

Were Athlons of a certain vintage exceptionally hot, but subsequent models
redesigned to run cooler? I think I remember that was how they evolved.
The writing on my processor is as follows:
AMD Athlon
A1000AMT3C
ASHHA0138MPMW
1999 AMD

Is this one of the very hot ones? Can I change to something cooler without
changing the MOBO too? Or am I just out of luck? I'm ready to get rid of
the Athlon, the MOBO and the $50 fan and replace with components of similar
quality but something quieter. MUCH Quieter. Almost silent if possible.

Please suggest what I can do. What is a quiet combination I can put
together from components currently on the market? I'd rather not go to
liquid cooling or a Peltier cooler if I don't need to. Since speed is the
parameter that sells best, does that mean everything is now fast, hot and
noisy? !.0 GHz is plenty fast in my opinion - so I don't care what's the
fastest. I realize they all come pretty fast these days.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks. Bill S.

"Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a 1 GHz Athlon in an Asus A7V266 Mobo. It runs pretty hot just
>doing
> nothing. Like 48C at 750 MHz and 52C at 1000MHz with the fan going full
> blast, the PC case wide open and the computer doing nothing. It even
> smells
> hot. The temperature reading is the same from the BIOS utility and from
> ASUS Probe utility. It has a CoolerMaster fan/heatsink assembly installed
> with the thermal paste. I absolutely can't live with the noise of the CPU
> fan any longer. I even have a variable resistor in series with it to slow
> it down and reduce the noise. Believe it or not, cutting the fan RPMs by
> 40% doesn't affect the temperature much, but cuts the noise significantly.
> really HATE this fan noise. I know someone with a faster Athlon PC that
> uses a Zalman heatsink without any fan (silent) that runs cooler than this
> thing I have.
>
> Were Athlons of a certain vintage exceptionally hot, but subsequent models
> redesigned to run cooler? I think I remember that was how they evolved.
> The writing on my processor is as follows:
> AMD Athlon
> A1000AMT3C
> ASHHA0138MPMW
> 1999 AMD
>
> Is this one of the very hot ones? Can I change to something cooler
> without
> changing the MOBO too? Or am I just out of luck? I'm ready to get rid of
> the Athlon, the MOBO and the $50 fan and replace with components of
> similar
> quality but something quieter. MUCH Quieter. Almost silent if possible.
>
> Please suggest what I can do. What is a quiet combination I can put
> together from components currently on the market? I'd rather not go to
> liquid cooling or a Peltier cooler if I don't need to. Since speed is the
> parameter that sells best, does that mean everything is now fast, hot and
> noisy? !.0 GHz is plenty fast in my opinion - so I don't care what's the
> fastest. I realize they all come pretty fast these days.
>
> Your suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks. Bill S.

I think you need to simply replace the fan with something like this: -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5517337434&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=58511

I remember the first time I came across an Artic Cooling fan - I could not
believe how quiet it was. For £7 GBP (Ebuyer do have a US site as well) you
could do a lot worse.

Also, as you state that the fan speed makes no difference to temperature, I
would suggest that the problem lies with the interface between the CPU and
heatsink. Did you use thermal compound when you installed? Have you removed
and reseated the heatsink many times?

Could it also be that your PSU fan is very load and adding to the noise?

Go for a new CPU fan/heatsink before you even think about upgrading - better
to spend a few quid then a furtune on a new mobo and CPU!

Glennbo

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:02:02 -0800, Bill Schaible wrote:

> Asus A7V266 Mobo
> A1000AMT3C
> ASHHA0138MPMW
> 1999 AMD
>
> Is this one of the very hot ones?

Al Tbird cores ran hot

> Can I change to something cooler without changing the MOBO too? Or am I
> just out of luck?

You can change the CPU to a later model. Preferably a barton or Tbred B
core. And spend $10 for a TR2-M1 or M3 cooler. Sell your old cpu and
cooler on ebay.

> I'm ready to get rid of the Athlon, the MOBO and the $50 fan and
> replace with components of similar quality but something quieter. MUCH
> Quieter. Almost silent if possible.

Well, if you are going to replace the MB too, then you might as well buy
a new MB, ram, and cpu and sell your old one.

> Please suggest what I can do. What is a quiet combination I can put
> together from components currently on the market? I'd rather not go to
> liquid cooling or a Peltier cooler if I don't need to. Since speed is
> the parameter that sells best, does that mean everything is now fast,
> hot and noisy? !.0 GHz is plenty fast in my opinion - so I don't care
> what's the fastest. I realize they all come pretty fast these days.
>
> Your suggestions will be appreciated.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and still double your speed,
reduce the noise, and run cooler, to keep it simple, buy an Athlon XP
2400+ and a TR2-M1 cooler. That will get you twice the speed at 2000MHz
plus SSE instructions for more speed. DO NOT buy a Sempron. See Sempron in
link below. if you are happy with your current speed, just replace the
cooler.

Franklin

On Mon 21 Feb 2005 08:17:22, Glennbo wrote:

> I think you need to simply replace the fan with something like
> this: -
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=5517337434&
> action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=58511
>
> I remember the first time I came across an Artic Cooling fan - I
> could not believe how quiet it was. For £7 GBP (Ebuyer do have a
> US site as well) you could do a lot worse.

It's a good fan. I like it.

ANd that is a great price. I paid £20 for mine at Maplins about 12
months ago.