reinstalling thermal paste ?

I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a thin
mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of the
heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the thermal
paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink combination.
The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the thermal
paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell on
this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put the
thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I have
to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already on the
chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets between
the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first? It
seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can do to
insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.

Thanks. Bill S.
8 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling thermal paste

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:27:38 -0800, Bill Schaible wrote:

    > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a
    > thin mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of
    > the heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the
    > thermal paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > combination. The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job
    > with the thermal paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The
    > ceramic shell on this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're
    > supposed to put the thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip.
    > Well, now that I have to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the
    > paste that's already on the chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure
    > there are no air pockets between the old and the new paste. Should I
    > clean off the old paste first? It seems like that might damage the chip.
    > Can someone tell me what I can do to insure I get the paste on there the
    > way it should be.

    If you're using standard thermal compound (white grease) you're making way
    too much out of this. If what's there now isn't dry, just spread it around
    with your finger on both the cpu core and the HS. Add more if needed and
    then install the cooler. In the case of not enough / too much, too much is
    better. A blob about the size of 2 BB's should be plenty. IIRC the size of
    a BB correctly, 1 probably wouldn't be enough the way some HS bases are.

    Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob about
    the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?) Spread it
    out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a
    thin
    > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of the
    > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the thermal
    > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    combination.
    > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    thermal
    > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell on
    > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put the
    > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I have
    > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already on
    the
    > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    between
    > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first? It
    > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can do
    > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    >
    > Thanks. Bill S.

    thanks for the info from dawg and Wes Newell.

    Bill S.

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob
    about
    > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?) Spread
    it
    > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a
    > thin
    > > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of the
    > > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the thermal
    > > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > combination.
    > > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    > thermal
    > > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell
    on
    > > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put
    the
    > > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I
    have
    > > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already on
    > the
    > > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    > between
    > > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first? It
    > > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can
    do
    > > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Bill S.

    I almost don't remember what a match looks like. Anymore when I want to
    light a cigarette I just hold the end if it against my Athlon CPU. I don't
    need matches anymore.

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob
    about
    > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?) Spread
    it
    > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a
    > thin
    > > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of the
    > > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the thermal
    > > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > combination.
    > > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    > thermal
    > > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell
    on
    > > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put
    the
    > > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I
    have
    > > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already on
    > the
    > > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    > between
    > > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first? It
    > > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can
    do
    > > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Bill S.

    That's a good one.LOL
    > I almost don't remember what a match looks like. Anymore when I want to
    > light a cigarette I just hold the end if it against my Athlon CPU. I
    don't
    > need matches anymore.
    >

    > "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob
    > about
    > > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?)
    Spread
    > it
    > > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used
    > > thin
    > > > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of
    the
    > > > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the
    thermal
    > > > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > > combination.
    > > > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    > > thermal
    > > > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell
    > on
    > > > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put
    > the
    > > > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I
    > have
    > > > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already
    on
    > > the
    > > > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    > > between
    > > > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first?
    It
    > > > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can
    > do
    > > > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. Bill S.

    Acetone is a very aggresive solvent. On the heatsink that should be no problem,
    but I wouldn't use it on the CPU. Any spillage on the laquered PCB components
    could be very messy. High purity isopropyl alcohol, not the 90% stuff some chemists
    sell, is better IMHO.

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:4d5Td.268794$w62.190443@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob about
    > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?) Spread it
    > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used a
    > thin
    > > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of the
    > > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the thermal
    > > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > combination.
    > > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    > thermal
    > > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell on
    > > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put the
    > > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I have
    > > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already on
    > the
    > > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    > between
    > > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first? It
    > > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can do
    > > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Bill S.

    I just wet a lint free cloth with the actone, rub the old thermal paste
    out,then use a second lint free cloth wetted with water and clean the suface
    of the cpu. I don't use enough to form drops unless the cloth is really rung
    out.

    "David Johnstone" <david_ffm@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Acetone is a very aggresive solvent. On the heatsink that should be no
    problem,
    > but I wouldn't use it on the CPU. Any spillage on the laquered PCB
    components
    > could be very messy. High purity isopropyl alcohol, not the 90% stuff some
    chemists
    > sell, is better IMHO.
    >
    > "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob
    about
    > > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?)
    Spread it
    > > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I put the original thermal paste on my 1.0 GHz Athlon myself. I used
    > > thin
    > > > mask to deposit a uniform rectangular patch of paste on the face of
    the
    > > > heatsink, in accordance with the instructions that came with the
    thermal
    > > > paste. I'm using a pretty good (but very noisy) fan/heatsink
    > > combination.
    > > > The CPU runs too hot, so apparently I didn't do a good job with the
    > > thermal
    > > > paste. Now (much later) I'm going to redo the job. The ceramic shell
    on
    > > > this Athlon doesn't cover the top of the chip. You're supposed to put
    the
    > > > thermal paste right on the exposed top of the chip. Well, now that I
    have
    > > > to do it over I'm wondering what to do about the paste that's already
    on
    > > the
    > > > chip - how do I apply more paste yet insure there are no air pockets
    > > between
    > > > the old and the new paste. Should I clean off the old paste first?
    It
    > > > seems like that might damage the chip. Can someone tell me what I can
    do
    > > > insure I get the paste on there the way it should be.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. Bill S.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Also,acetone evaporates withiut leaving residue.
    > I just wet a lint free cloth with the actone, rub the old thermal paste
    > out,then use a second lint free cloth wetted with water and clean the
    suface
    > of the cpu. I don't use enough to form drops unless the cloth is really
    rung
    > out.
    >
    > "David Johnstone" <david_ffm@mail.com> wrote in message
    > > Acetone is a very aggresive solvent. On the heatsink that should be no
    > problem,
    > > but I wouldn't use it on the CPU. Any spillage on the laquered PCB
    > components
    > > could be very messy. High purity isopropyl alcohol, not the 90% stuff
    some
    > chemists
    > > sell, is better IMHO.
    > >
    > > "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > Clean off the old stuff with acetone.Apply the new stuff using a blob
    > about
    > > > the size of a match head(anyone remember what a match looks like?)
    > Spread it
    > > > out using a plastic card(credit,library etc.)
    > > > "Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > thin
    > the
    > thermal