Zalman cooler is too heavy

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2005 5:05:35 PM

My PC has an ASUS A7V266 MOBO and a 1.0 GHz Athlon CPU. The CPU cooler is a
noisy fan with a copper heat sink (CoolerMaster HCC-002). It's way too
noisy, even when I reduce the fan speed (using a variable resistor). I'm
very interested in the Zalman coolers I read about on the web. I want to
get the Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu cooler, which is the top of the line for
Socket 462 CPUs. The Zalman site notes that maximum weight of a cooler on
an Athlon should not be more than 300 grams (but it says Intel CPUs are ok
with 450 gram coolers) . The CPNS 7000B-AlCu weighs 438 grams - 138 grams
more than recommended. The next lighter Zalman is the Flower Heat Sink
design that weighs 270 grams (good) but it isn't as quiet or as cool as the
CPNS 7000B.

My PC is in a tower case which means the weight of the CPU cooler doesn't
rest on the CPU but hangs on the vertical face of the MOBO. The weight will
produce bending and shear forces to the MOBO and strains at the MOBO
standoffs, but the weight probably doesn't bother the CPU very much. So the
real issue must be how much stress is acceptable for the MOBO. If 450
grams is ok for a MOBO with an Intel CPU, then it must be ok for my MOBO
also. Does anyone here have experience with heavy CPU coolers causing
problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks. Bill S.

More about : zalman cooler heavy

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2005 2:24:48 AM

I can relate to your worries about sideways shear forces/angular moment
on the motherboard in tower cases. I've just built a system with the Zalman
7700 Cu cooler (Athlon 64). After I bought the motherboard, cpu and cooler
I kind of weighed things up and used a bit of intuition - since you're way out of
spec with these coolers there's not much else left (and after all we're all overclockers
here too ;-)) Anyway, I decided to use a desktop case since it seemed like a lot
of weight for a sideways mount. That cooler is 912g though, a real monster.
I've also built a system with the Arctic 64 Freezer, 418g, and I felt ok mounting
that sideways. I guess it depends a little where the supporting posts on your board
are relative to the CPU.
I think you'd probably be ok with your 438g cooler. If you feel unhappy about it
after a trial fit perhaps you can run your tower on its side? Only problem is some
CD drives that don't work that way around. The Zalman site claims problems only
arise in transport - obviously you want to minimise g-forces then and have the
cooler at the top for that.
David

shear've just
"Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message news:n-2dnZQqba0bx4ffRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> My PC has an ASUS A7V266 MOBO and a 1.0 GHz Athlon CPU. The CPU cooler is a
> noisy fan with a copper heat sink (CoolerMaster HCC-002). It's way too
> noisy, even when I reduce the fan speed (using a variable resistor). I'm
> very interested in the Zalman coolers I read about on the web. I want to
> get the Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu cooler, which is the top of the line for
> Socket 462 CPUs. The Zalman site notes that maximum weight of a cooler on
> an Athlon should not be more than 300 grams (but it says Intel CPUs are ok
> with 450 gram coolers) . The CPNS 7000B-AlCu weighs 438 grams - 138 grams
> more than recommended. The next lighter Zalman is the Flower Heat Sink
> design that weighs 270 grams (good) but it isn't as quiet or as cool as the
> CPNS 7000B.
>
> My PC is in a tower case which means the weight of the CPU cooler doesn't
> rest on the CPU but hangs on the vertical face of the MOBO. The weight will
> produce bending and shear forces to the MOBO and strains at the MOBO
> standoffs, but the weight probably doesn't bother the CPU very much. So the
> real issue must be how much stress is acceptable for the MOBO. If 450
> grams is ok for a MOBO with an Intel CPU, then it must be ok for my MOBO
> also. Does anyone here have experience with heavy CPU coolers causing
> problems? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks. Bill S.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2005 2:24:49 AM

Thanks for your post. Another idea for relieving the load on the MOBO would
be to install a bracket to the fins on the top side of the cooler before
mating it with the CPU. Then after it's mated to the CPU, run a wire or
spring down from the top of the case to pull upward on the bracket with a
few ounces of force. You could carry half of the weight that way. Maybe I
will try that too.

Bill S.

"David Johnstone" <david_ffm@mail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
grams
> > more than recommended. The next lighter Zalman is the Flower Heat Sink
> > design that weighs 270 grams (good) but it isn't as quiet or as cool as
the
> > CPNS 7000B.
> >
> > My PC is in a tower case which means the weight of the CPU cooler
doesn't
> > rest on the CPU but hangs on the vertical face of the MOBO. The weight
will
> > produce bending and shear forces to the MOBO and strains at the MOBO
> > standoffs, but the weight probably doesn't bother the CPU very much. So
the
> > real issue must be how much stress is acceptable for the MOBO. If 450
> > grams is ok for a MOBO with an Intel CPU, then it must be ok for my MOBO
> > also. Does anyone here have experience with heavy CPU coolers causing

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2005 2:24:50 AM

"Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message

Bill S.

Jumping in a little late here... I ran a Thermaltake Volcano 7 on a T-Bird
1.4 without issue. Installed in a conventionanl tower, the unit weighed in
at about 450g w/fan. I was never concerned with shearing, just the gawd
awful fan noise. A quick tidbit of advice would be to follow Wes' tip
regarding the TR21 (?) coolers. Bigger isn't always better. Zalman does have
a great rep, but a healthy price tag as well. I have some times felt taken
in after shelling out good bucks for products that offer minimal or no
performance increase, in whatever direction you are driving.
Prime example, my current cooler is an old thermalright SK6+ with a 92mm fan
adapted to fit. It's relatively small, quiet, effecient, and pocket book
friendly. As already stated by another (Wes) poster, your 1g t-bird will run
hot. Unfortunatley the only honest answer is - experimentation and
(hopefully) minimal spending will net you the desired result,

Best of luck,

Garry

"David Johnstone" <david_ffm@mail.com> wrote in message
> I can relate to your worries about sideways shear forces/angular moment
> on the motherboard in tower cases. I've just built a system with the
Zalman
> > My PC has an ASUS A7V266 MOBO and a 1.0 GHz Athlon CPU. The CPU cooler
is a
> > noisy fan with a copper heat sink (CoolerMaster HCC-002). It's way too
> > noisy, even when I reduce the fan speed (using a variable resistor).
I'm
> > very interested in the Zalman coolers I read about on the web. I want
> > get the Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu cooler, which is the top of the line for
> > Socket 462 CPUs. The Zalman site notes that maximum weight of a cooler
on
> > an Athlon should not be more than 300 grams (but it says Intel CPUs are
ok
> > with 450 gram coolers) . The CPNS 7000B-AlCu weighs 438 grams - 138
grams
> > more than recommended. The next lighter Zalman is the Flower Heat Sink
> > design that weighs 270 grams (good) but it isn't as quiet or as cool as
the
> > CPNS 7000B.
> >
> > My PC is in a tower case which means the weight of the CPU cooler
doesn't
> > rest on the CPU but hangs on the vertical face of the MOBO. The weight
will
> > produce bending and shear forces to the MOBO and strains at the MOBO
> > standoffs, but the weight probably doesn't bother the CPU very much. So
the
> > real issue must be how much stress is acceptable for the MOBO. If 450
> > grams is ok for a MOBO with an Intel CPU, then it must be ok for my MOBO
> > also. Does anyone here have experience with heavy CPU coolers causing
> > problems? Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks. Bill S.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2005 2:51:46 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:35 -0800, Bill Schaible wrote:

> My PC has an ASUS A7V266 MOBO and a 1.0 GHz Athlon CPU. The CPU cooler is
> a noisy fan with a copper heat sink (CoolerMaster HCC-002). It's way too
> noisy, even when I reduce the fan speed (using a variable resistor). I'm
> very interested in the Zalman coolers I read about on the web. I want to
> get the Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu cooler, which is the top of the line for
> Socket 462 CPUs.

Only someone ignorant or having more money than brains would pay that much
for a cooler for an Athlon 1000. Get this and forget it.

http://www.nexfan.com/thtr2m3coaxp.html

http://www.tr2tt/products/coolers/m3.htm

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2005 5:45:16 AM

That's interesting that you hit on that idea.
For the Arctic Freezer 64 I seriously considered a
string or wire to the top of the case to take some
of the load, since the cooler has heatpipes where you
could well fasten something like that.
I decided against it because of the problem of tensioning
such a wire optimally. If OTOH you can find a spring of the
right stiffness and one that is fairly long, so that the
tension is fairly independant of small movements of cooler
relative to case, then it could probably work quite well.
I wonder if anyone out there has done that?
David

thought of a string or
"Bill Schaible" <mr.correct@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<kbmdnf8dHKlR-offRVn-rw@comcast.com>...
> Thanks for your post. Another idea for relieving the load on the MOBO would
> be to install a bracket to the fins on the top side of the cooler before
> mating it with the CPU. Then after it's mated to the CPU, run a wire or
> spring down from the top of the case to pull upward on the bracket with a
> few ounces of force. You could carry half of the weight that way. Maybe I
> will try that too.
>
> Bill S.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2005 9:31:36 PM

I think I will get the Zalman if not only to see what the difference is
like. The fans being recommended are probably similar in performance to
what I have. I mean, if I crank my variable resistor to slow down my fan to
a comparable speed, I will probably get about the same cooling as with the
others. Maybe the others are somewhat better but maybe not significantly
better. Also I know that numeric specs on stuff like this sometimes bend
the truth. I am intrigued with the Zalman. But it will block accessibility
to jumpers, memory etc. I do like to tinker with that stuff.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.21.23.57.28.272487@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:35 -0800, Bill Schaible wrote:
>
> > My PC has an ASUS A7V266 MOBO and a 1.0 GHz Athlon CPU. The CPU cooler
is
> > a noisy fan with a copper heat sink (CoolerMaster HCC-002). It's way too
> > noisy, even when I reduce the fan speed (using a variable resistor).
I'm
> > very interested in the Zalman coolers I read about on the web. I want
> > get the Zalman CNPS 7000B-AlCu cooler, which is the top of the line for
> > Socket 462 CPUs.
>
> Only someone ignorant or having more money than brains would pay that much
> for a cooler for an Athlon 1000. Get this and forget it.
>
> http://www.nexfan.com/thtr2m3coaxp.html
>
> http://www.tr2tt/products/coolers/m3.htm

> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2005 12:14:32 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:31:36 -0800, Bill Schaible wrote:

> I think I will get the Zalman if not only to see what the difference is
> like. The fans being recommended are probably similar in performance to
> what I have. I mean, if I crank my variable resistor to slow down my fan
> to a comparable speed, I will probably get about the same cooling as with
> the others. Maybe the others are somewhat better but maybe not
> significantly better. Also I know that numeric specs on stuff like this
> sometimes bend the truth. I am intrigued with the Zalman. But it will
> block accessibility to jumpers, memory etc. I do like to tinker with that
> stuff.

I've never used a Zalman, but I have used the TR2 model and even posted a
mini comparison between the -M1, -M2, and Aerocool in this group I think.
A google search shoudl find it.

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=tr2+vantec

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2005 7:35:35 PM

I read your comparison and , as the subject of computer noise has been
in my head for a while , and the TRM2 is listed as a very quiet HSF, I
went and bought one for my mother's 1Ghz Thunderbird. You see, it had
the stock HSF and it ran hot and noisy.
4'5 euro (a bit less than 6 dollars) and some hours later, I was
amazed at the performance/price ratio of this thingy... definitely the
one I'll be recommending for cheapo systems. my next experiment will
be buying a Thermaltake "silent cat" fan for 7 euro (21 dB with 56
CFM), putting this on the TRM2's dissipator, and using the fan that
came with the TRM2 as a case fan. 12 euro for a high performance low
noise HSF and case fan... not bad. will post results from this
combination with my OCed XP 2200.

Thanks and cheers

Miguel

!