Battle Zone - can't redefine keys

Hello everyone!

I'm a new user of mame 0.76 and have a trouble with some game controls. I
can't redefine control keys in my favourite one - "Battle Zone".
When using -> TAB -> Input (this game) - I get some keys to redefine, but
when I try to change cursors, the keyboard seems not working and all cursor
keys are set as "NONE". How to fix it?
Thanks in advance.

H.

Huaskar thought about it a bit, then said...
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm a new user of mame 0.76 and have a trouble with some game controls. I
> can't redefine control keys in my favourite one - "Battle Zone".
> When using -> TAB -> Input (this game) - I get some keys to redefine, but
> when I try to change cursors, the keyboard seems not working and all cursor
> keys are set as "NONE". How to fix it?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> H.

I had the same problem - even with the correct key mappings, the game
was using the "simplified" control scheme instead (one joystick to move
and turn).

I ended up going into the game's TAB setup and deleting all the control-
specific settings, and then reassigning them. Don't ask me why, but it
worked.

Also, make sure you've got the default "joystick" option turned off in
MAME, especially if you don't have a gamepad or joystick attached.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Huaskar Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm a new user of mame 0.76 and have a trouble with some game
> controls. I can't redefine control keys in my favourite one -
> "Battle Zone". When using -> TAB -> Input (this game) - I get some
> keys to redefine, but when I try to change cursors, the keyboard
> seems not working and all cursor keys are set as "NONE". How to
> fix it? Thanks in advance.
>
> H.

delete $MAME\CFG\default.cfg and try again.

--
David

Huaskar wrote on 20. May 2005:

>> I ended up going into the game's TAB setup and deleting all the control-
>> specific settings, and then reassigning them. Don't ask me why, but it
>> worked.
>
> I tried deleting .cfg, disable joystick but still can't redefine cursor
> keys. All other controls can be changed, but cursors are still "NONE".
> Keyboard seems to be dead while trying to reassign them - only enter key
> works.

I could email you my bzone.cfg. I have a different layout. Like I and E
to move straight forward, D and K for backward and a combination of this
to turn it. Space to fire. Let me know.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

> I ended up going into the game's TAB setup and deleting all the control-
> specific settings, and then reassigning them. Don't ask me why, but it
> worked.

I tried deleting .cfg, disable joystick but still can't redefine cursor
keys. All other controls can be changed, but cursors are still "NONE".
Keyboard seems to be dead while trying to reassign them - only enter key
works.

H.

> I could email you my bzone.cfg. I have a different layout. Like I and E
> to move straight forward, D and K for backward and a combination of this
> to turn it. Space to fire. Let me know.

Please send it, I'll be very gratefull.
huaskar@poczta.fm

H.

Sune Salminen wrote on 21. May 2005:

> Huaskar wrote:
>>> I could email you my bzone.cfg. I have a different layout. Like I
>>> and E to move straight forward, D and K for backward and a
>>> combination of this to turn it. Space to fire. Let me know.
>>
>> Please send it, I'll be very gratefull.
>> huaskar@poczta.fm
>
> It won't be compatible with your version 76 if Andreas uses a version
> from after the input system rewrite.

But he might be lucky. I think I had a cfg I saved from the 0.50s and
always played it back when installing a newer MAME. So mine might be
older, and works in newer MAME versions.

I'll send it to Huaskar after this. if it doesn't work at all he can
delete it and Battle Zone will create a new cfg file then.
--

Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
> Sune Salminen wrote on 21. May 2005:

>>> Please send it, I'll be very gratefull.
>>> huaskar@poczta.fm
>>
>> It won't be compatible with your version 76 if Andreas uses a version
>> from after the input system rewrite.
>
> But he might be lucky. I think I had a cfg I saved from the 0.50s and
> always played it back when installing a newer MAME. So mine might be
> older, and works in newer MAME versions.
>
> I'll send it to Huaskar after this. if it doesn't work at all he can
> delete it and Battle Zone will create a new cfg file then.

Would that old of a cfg acutually work, or are they like telephones,
backwards compatible?

Or would he be missing some functionality by using an old cfg like that?

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Anonymous wrote:
Snipped

> Would that old of a cfg acutually work, or are they like telephones,
> backwards compatible?

Like phones? No. It would either work or not.

> Or would he be missing some functionality by using an old cfg like that?

No.

--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

Thanks for sending your config Andreas, but it seems to be unavailable to
me. It's an ini-type settings, while my version of mame use binary ones. I
think the best thing i can do is to change mame to the newest version.

Thank you all anyway.

H.

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Huaskar wrote:
> Thanks for sending your config Andreas, but it seems to be unavailable to
> me. It's an ini-type settings, while my version of mame use binary ones. I
> think the best thing i can do is to change mame to the newest version.
>
> Thank you all anyway.
>
> H.

Let us all know if it works Huaskar.

--

Huaskar wrote on 22. May 2005:

> Thanks for sending your config Andreas, but it seems to be unavailable to
> me. It's an ini-type settings, while my version of mame use binary ones. I
> think the best thing i can do is to change mame to the newest version.

Strange it works in my 0.89 MAME (though under Linux).

> Thank you all anyway.

You're welcome.
--

MCR wrote on 22. May 2005:

> Huaskar wrote:
>> Thanks for sending your config Andreas, but it seems to be unavailable to
>> me. It's an ini-type settings, while my version of mame use binary ones. I
>> think the best thing i can do is to change mame to the newest version.
>> Thank you all anyway.

> Let us all know if it works Huaskar.

As far as I understand it didn't.